Seiko Transocean... Sales dud?? - Page 10
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

To me, it almost looks generic, which is a difficult term to use on a diver. Generic in the sense like it's trying too hard to be a best seller and appeal to everyone.

The name is really weird too. Transocean. That means you're travelling across the ocean. Why do you need a diver? Shouldn't it be a GMT or World Timer like the Breitling TransOcean?

Maybe it's the subconscious name share from a Breitling model that turns people off?

Quote Originally Posted by MLJinAK View Post
    To me, it almost looks generic, which is a difficult term to use on a diver. Generic in the sense like it's trying too hard to be a best seller and appeal to everyone.

The name is really weird too. Transocean. That means you're travelling across the ocean. Why do you need a diver? Shouldn't it be a GMT or World Timer like the Breitling TransOcean?

Maybe it's the subconscious name share from a Breitling model that turns people off?
    Perhaps we're looking at a different watch? The Transoceans are anything but generic. In fact I don't think you can mistake them for any other watch, if you do then please post a pic.

I think the biggest quibble is that you can't be really sure of how it will fit your wrist till you put it on, and that's a cardinal sin for a JDM that's unavailable in stores.

I think it's stunning and easily one of Seikos best looking divers. I see why people don't like integrated bracelets because they want to be able to swap them, but to me they tend to look better due to the way they flow into the case shape more, and I love the look of the lug area on this one, it makes it look really unique.
    Last edited by clyde_frog; March 20th, 2017 at 17:51.

Bam!

Quote Originally Posted by serge70 View Post
    Price and integrated bracelet:Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaia View Post
    Bam!
    integrated bracelet.... fail i agree....
    they need to pair with adapter for some norm strap swaps

Price.... not exactly failed...
    Ceremic bezel and sapphire kinda cost a bit to implement
    TagHeuer|SeikoSARB|ZenoBasel|Seiko5|CasioWorldTime Illuminator|SeikoTurtles

Dreaming for a Zeitwerk/Ressence

It's a great looking diver, but I think it's the size, and limited options due the integrated bracelet design.

This is a big watch at a case length (lug to lug) at slightly over 50mm, same size as MM300. That's smaller than the Sumo's 53mm, and Shogun's 51 mm, but it has a slightly larger case diameter. The lugs do curve down, so it can hug the wrist better than a Shogun or MM300 for sure, and even the Sumo. But it's still a large watch.

It it were 47 - 48mm I think it would fit like a Squale 1521, and might be more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    It's a great looking diver, but I think it's the size, and limited options due the integrated bracelet design.

This is a big watch at a case length (lug to lug) at slightly over 50mm, same size as MM300. That's smaller than the Sumo's 53mm, and Shogun's 51 mm, but it has a slightly larger case diameter. The lugs do curve down, so it can hug the wrist better than a Shogun or MM300 for sure, and even the Sumo. But it's still a large watch.

It it were 47 - 48mm I think it would fit like a Squale 1521, and might be more popular.
    More-popular with collectors, who are meaningless in the aggregate because we are only the one percent of watch buyers. Casual watch buyers seem perfectly fine with it and what they buy matters more.

All of this collector discussion about how the Transocean isn't popular reminds me of the discussion around Rolex' new Air-King. Collectors hate the watch. Yet every AD I visit either has run out of the Air King or has just restocked it. The Rolex AD in my area, for example, restocked the Air-King for the third time; I didn't even see it the previous two times I visited because it had sold out.

Collectors are concerned with what they care about, including such matters as whether a watch has an integrated strap. Casual watch buyers, who almost never change out a strap, are more-concerned about whether they like the watch enough to buy it.
    booest likes this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic, FitBit Charge 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmack View Post
    More-popular with collectors, who are meaningless in the aggregate because we are only the one percent of watch buyers. Casual watch buyers seem perfectly fine with it and what they buy matters more.

All of this collector discussion about how the Transocean isn't popular reminds me of the discussion around Rolex' new Air-King. Collectors hate the watch. Yet every AD I visit either has run out of the Air King or has just restocked it. The Rolex AD in my area, for example, restocked the Air-King for the third time; I didn't even see it the previous two times I visited because it had sold out.

Collectors are concerned with what they care about, including such matters as whether a watch has an integrated strap. Casual watch buyers, who almost never change out a strap, are more-concerned about whether they like the watch enough to buy it.
    I'm not a Rolex expert by any means but isn't the air King one of their entry level pieces in terms of price?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back to the Transocean.. It is a little bit generic, in that, with the thin indices and hands, it doesn't quite feel like a "Seiko" diver - could just as well be a breitling diver or mido diver or (any other nodescript swiss brand) diver.

Or, heck, actually to me the Transocean looks a lot like a Casio Oceanus, same design language (thin sleek on-dial stuff and handset, angular case with multiple aggressive tapers).

And, yeah, it's kinda expensive; integrated bracelet only is a setback.

If it had been a Solar GPS-sync / Atomic-sync watch, might, perhaps, be more interesting than as-is?
    wat

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmack View Post

Sure, but the premise of the thread is that is it not selling well. That statement goes far beyond "collectors", and encompasses casual buyers too, right? So your observations would apply if the watch is selling well to the general public, but getting a thumbs down from collectors in sites like this.

So is this watch a dud, as the OP suggests? Or is it selling well with casual buyers, as you suggest? I guess we would have to know how it is selling compared to similar Seiko divers to determine there is a problem before trying to discus what went wrong.
    Last edited by nepatriot; March 20th, 2017 at 20:34.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information