Seiko Transocean... Sales dud?? - Page 2
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

It is UGLY.

I like it a lot, but let's not forget that is is also a 45mm watch. That too will turn a lot of people off.

I like the way it looks, but didn't realize the bracelet is part of the watch. Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVedder View Post
    While pricey for a Seiko diver, the almost $1K is IMO fair considering the specs, unless Seiko are required to offer more for less, which doesn't seem to be the case (they offer great value, but also some shortcomings not found on Swiss counterparts).

For example, you can compare the Transocean vs an Oris Aquis, which also has a workhorse movement, integrated bracelet and a similar price. Many people consider the Aquis as great value, considering its specs and quality. Why would the equivalent Seiko be "too expensive"?
    The aquis has a universally aclaimed bracelet vs Seikos generally underwhelming bracelets even on pieces like the MM300.

Aquis has 100m more WR. Oris offers choice of rubber or bracelet. Most people prefer the 28,800 movement of the Selitta vs the low beat 6R15 if given the choice. Expensive 3rd party leather strap options are available for the Aquis. Seiko timekeeping has been historically erratic....seems like luck of the draw. Selitta/ETA is much more consistent. Ceramic bezel vs ceramic insert will not be considered appreciably different except by Seiko WIS nerds.

I wouldnt pay $1000 for either one. But at $800 or less i would pick the Transocean....the blue gradiant dial version to be specific.

Transocean pricing is starting to come down. I'll be watching.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I have an Aquis and I know it's fantastic, so I'm not trying to put it down. I also own a SBDC027 LE Sumo, and it's also a fantastic watch, very comparable to the Aquis, with some strengths and some weaknesses in the comparison.

IMO, the Transocean is a clear upgrade over the regular Sumo and should be faring better in sales. I would love to get a SBDC047 blue dialed one, but do have some wishes, like having the option of a Seiko rubber strap (every Seiko diver has rubber straps, so why haven't they released a rubber strap for this one? ), and a lower price.
    valuewatchguy likes this.

Well man, if you like it and think it's an upgrade, by all means go for one. But a lot of us don't see it as an upgrade. It just seems that some of us don't see the value in the watch that you do. As an owner and big fan of the Sumo (wore it every single day for the better part of a year) I see nothing bout the Transocean which is an upgrade. Not the movement, not the case, not the depth, you can argue crystal. Though, I see no practical difference between Hardlex and Sapphire, now that I own sapphire. It's a whole lot of same with a sapphire and a $500 price-hike.

Were there matte silver/steel color bezel and/or full ceramic case, I would have considered it. I actually like the wacky futuristic diver look, like it was some kind of concept car design from the 80s. I do not mind integrated lugs if I have no plans to change straps, and I rarely do, and I love the clasp but at $1000 USD for what it is, I had to pass. I will echo what others have said about the movement and add that the Sumo is at the upper price limit of what I accept with a 6R15 movement. The Transocean (and Shogun, in my opinion) just seems to miss the mark as the premium main line Seiko Prospex divers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
    Well man, if you like it and think it's an upgrade, by all means go for one. But a lot of us don't see it as an upgrade. It just seems that some of us don't see the value in the watch that you do. As an owner and big fan of the Sumo (wore it every single day for the better part of a year) I see nothing bout the Transocean which is an upgrade. Not the movement, not the case, not the depth, you can argue crystal. Though, I see no practical difference between Hardlex and Sapphire, now that I own sapphire. It's a whole lot of same with a sapphire and a $500 price-hike.
    I'm just asking why do you believe the Transocean hasn't caught on. The existence of the Sumo at half the price is obviously a huge reason, since it's possible to "match" the Transocean advantages with after-market replacements at a lower price. But, to match the Transocean (with a Sapphire crystal and a ceramic bezel insert) you'd have to spend somewhere between $150 and $300 (if you decide to upgrade the bracelet) and void the warranty.

I never liked it. It's a watch that should work but doesn't. A lot of non-WIS types probably don't think about the movement, but the size, integrated bracelet and almost retro-80s design (sharp angled lugs) all work against each other. As others have said, at that price the value proposition isn't there. Yeah, I'm over halfway to getting a minty MM300 with a GS movement... why bother with this?
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by LordBrettSinclair View Post
    Yeah, I'm over halfway to getting a minty MM300 with a GS movement... why bother with this?

That's probably the biggest negative in my mind. They needed to spec this as a step down from an MM300 rather than an upgrade from a Sumo. MM300 movement in the Transocean case for $1200 msrp might get some attention.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information