Seiko Transocean... Sales dud?? - Page 4
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

Quote Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
    I like it a lot, but let's not forget that is is also a 45mm watch. That too will turn a lot of people off.
    isn't it also freakishly thick as well?
    (just a) timetellinnoob
    SEIKO: SNDA67, SKX779, SKX007 (mod), SNZG15, SKX-PMMM, 6309-7040 (12/1980 rfrb/mod),
    7002-7000 (7/91 Loy's), SRP227 (mod)
    , SNXS79, SSC031, SNKL45, SNX993 (mod),
    SARB033 SPIRIT, PROSPEX SRP775 (mod),
    THE LATEST: PROSPEX SRP773 (mod)

I just bought the SBDC047 and it's worth every penny. I have no idea how people think it's overpriced. Actually look at this thing in person, the fit and finish is that of a $1,000 + watch and is far superior to the Sumo.

I don't see people complain about $1,000 Swinese watches with a pedestrian 2824 in it (which you can also get in a $300 watch, like the 6r15), but then again I guess that doesn't count because all people see is the beat rate? Sorry, this is a sore spot for me admittedly as I think Seiko receives undue criticism while similarly priced "Swiss" brands get to skate on the merits of their marketing departments. I will take the Transocean any day over an Oris Aquis or anything similar.

Name:  IMG_3917.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  1.69 MB

Name:  IMG_3926.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  IMG_3915.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  1.88 MB

(Sorry guys, for some reason when I upload from my iphone directly the pictures auto rotate. I can't understand why)
    Last edited by Memento Vivere; January 25th, 2017 at 04:46.
    Rolex: Submariner 16803 (Two Tone)
    Grand Seiko: SBGA029 | SBGR077 | 6146-8020 61GS
    Nomos: Tangente 38mm Doctors Without Borders LE
    Seiko:
    SBBN013 Darth Tuna | SBDX017 MarineMaster 300m | SARK003 Urushi LE | SRPA19 Zimbe Turtle | 6105 8110 | 6306 7001 |SCVF005 "Red" Alpinist | 5246-6000 Chronometer Special King Seiko

For that price, I'd rather save a bit more and go for a used MM300.

I seldom post here but this thread really motivated me to login and post a reply cos it's a very interesting discussion.

PRICE: In my country (Singapore), I could get a Sumo for S$677. I could get a real Tuna SBBN031 for S$1578. Both are proper bracelet divers with no PVD coating etc. Believe it or not, but the Transocean is ridiculously hard to find here and when I found one, I was quoted around $1200 mark. Essentially when it comes to pricing, I could get 2 Sumos for the price of 1 Transocean OR top up a bit and get a real proper Tuna, which we all know is highly respected.

INTEGRATED LUGS: Personally I love to play with straps and the Transocean doesn't allow us to do so.

I love the looks of the Transocean, but the asking price for a watch that doesn't allow a swap in bracelet is hard for me to swallow. It's like paying a hefty sum for a track only Ferrari FXX (Transocean) when I could spend the money on 2 common 458 Italia (Sumo) or top up a bit and go for a LaFerrari (Tuna). Doesn't matter if the Transocean has Diashield or full Ceramic Bezels and Sapphire glass, all these technical marvels is irrelevant if it the watch is unable to be attached to a beautiful Cordovan Leather strap haha.
    Memento Vivere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lancelot_ View Post
    I seldom post here but this thread really motivated me to login and post a reply cos it's a very interesting discussion.

PRICE: In my country (Singapore), I could get a Sumo for S$677. I could get a real Tuna SBBN031 for S$1578. Both are proper bracelet divers with no PVD coating etc. Believe it or not, but the Transocean is ridiculously hard to find here and when I found one, I was quoted around $1200 mark. Essentially when it comes to pricing, I could get 2 Sumos for the price of 1 Transocean OR top up a bit and get a real proper Tuna, which we all know is highly respected.

INTEGRATED LUGS: Personally I love to play with straps and the Transocean doesn't allow us to do so.

I love the looks of the Transocean, but the asking price for a watch that doesn't allow a swap in bracelet is hard for me to swallow. It's like paying a hefty sum for a track only Ferrari FXX (Transocean) when I could spend the money on 2 common 458 Italia (Sumo) or top up a bit and go for a LaFerrari (Tuna). Doesn't matter if the Transocean has Diashield or full Ceramic Bezels and Sapphire glass, all these technical marvels is irrelevant if it the watch is unable to be attached to a beautiful Cordovan Leather strap haha.
    This I understand and to me is a perfectly valid criticism of the watch. Integrated bracelets are a deal breaker for many, especially us WIS.

I just look at it in the sense that I can swap straps on every single other watch that I own, including my Grand Seiko. I can deal with one dive watch that is designed to be worn on its bracelet, and fortunately Seiko knocked it out of the park with the bracelet on the Transocean. It's fantastic. And they smartly included a nicely upgraded clasp.
    Sevenmack and topog123 like this.
    Rolex: Submariner 16803 (Two Tone)
    Grand Seiko: SBGA029 | SBGR077 | 6146-8020 61GS
    Nomos: Tangente 38mm Doctors Without Borders LE
    Seiko:
    SBBN013 Darth Tuna | SBDX017 MarineMaster 300m | SARK003 Urushi LE | SRPA19 Zimbe Turtle | 6105 8110 | 6306 7001 |SCVF005 "Red" Alpinist | 5246-6000 Chronometer Special King Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Memento Vivere View Post
    This I understand and to me is a perfectly valid criticism of the watch. Integrated bracelets are a deal breaker for many, especially us WIS.

I just look at it in the sense that I can swap straps on every single other watch that I own, including my Grand Seiko. I can deal with one dive watch that is designed to be worn on its bracelet, and fortunately Seiko knocked it out of the park with the bracelet on the Transocean. It's fantastic. And they smartly included a nicely upgraded clasp.
    Pic of the clasp please

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I think it's a beautiful watch, and I'd be proud and pleased to have one in my collection.

'Course, I don't typically mess with a strap change if it comes with a bracelet (my preference over leather), so that issue is a non-starter for me, and I'm less than objective when it comes to both Seiko divers and blue-dials-with-black-bezels, which I think is a fantastic combo (as clearly evidenced by the striking photos above).
    Sevenmack likes this.

I always wondered how much would people pay if someone made an adapter for it to fit normal straps ?

It's the same with the Aquis, but at least Oris offers a rubber band for it. Seiko should offer the option, since after all it's a diver's watch.

Still, your watch is amazing, and that sunburst dial looks just great. It's a large watch, but how does it feel? Does it wear a bit smaller than one might expect from the size?
    Last edited by DarthVedder; January 25th, 2017 at 06:43.

Wow, a lot of negativity about the Transocean line here, all of it seems to be from the people who never handled one. Well, I've been super excited about the Spring Drive version since it was announced last June, and finally pulled a trigger on one. I've got to say, it is a stunner. I've been on a quest for a titanium true GMT diver and there really are about 2-3 watches out there that satisfy these simple requirements. One is the Marinemaster 600 Spring Drive, which I owned and sold due to its ridiculously thick case and obtrusive GMT hand. Well, the SBDB018 is exactly what I've been looking for. I'll admit, I went for a bit more flare than offered by its more understated brother SBDB017, and guess what - I have no regrets so far. Black and gold work surprisingly well and remind me of some LE Grand Seikos. The thickness is completely manageable, and the watch wears smaller than its reported size despite my small wrist. Here are some pics.

Name:  Seiko2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  1.08 MB
    Name:  Seiko3.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  979.3 KB
    Last edited by EugV12; January 25th, 2017 at 09:27.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information