Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

In every picture I've seen, the Transocean looks just amazing. In theory, it has everything we have always asked from a Seiko diver:

Clear Seiko DNA
    The usual (or even better) great case & dial finish
    Better than usual fit
    Sapphire crystal
    Ceramic bezel

Everything pointed to a big hit, something that could eventually replace the Sumo as the main mid-level Seiko diver.

So what happened? I don't have sales figures, but from the anecdotal evidence I've seen (lack of excitement around here, lack of posts on WRUW threads everywhere), it seems like it hasn't caught on as expected, especially when compared to the Turtles. What is the problem? The price seems to be a bit high, but I don't think it's unfair considering the specs. Is it the integrated bracelet?

Ill go out on a limb here and say many folks on WUS may not know WHAT it is, outside if the big seven seikos that folks seem to care about: skx007/9, turtle, monster, cocktail time, alpinist, mm, sumo.

That said it looks great. I wouldnt mind one, if funds allowed.

Of course, my funds wont allow a 6r15 powered watch. Yet.
    Last edited by Impulse; January 24th, 2017 at 18:13.

Re: Seiko Transocean... Sales dud??

I think the design is polarizing and the integrated bracelet is a turnoff. The 6R15 movement can be found in a $315 SARB017 and doesnt feel special enough for a $1000 transocean. Price/value over a Sumo is very difficult to justify the $500+ for diashield and sapphire glass. Shoguns are $800- ish and they get difficult treatment against the normal Sumo. If they were going upscale with that transocean they really needed to do something special with it......28,8k auto, spring drive, Titanium,....etc etc etc

That being said i like it. Most WIS wont look twice at it. Regular Joes might consider it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    mikef, fishrose, dZeak and 2 others like this.

For some reason I thought it was a JDM model but regardless - it's a big ask to pay $1kish for anything that has the 6r15 movement in it and the integrated bracelet thingie (still unclear as to how exactly it works) would be a deal breaker for me.

When all is said and done - at that price-point I'd be shopping something Euro or pony up some more for a used MM300
    LordBrettSinclair likes this.
    FB Vintage Dive Watches Page

Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Seiko SKX007 Bluto Mod
    Seiko SARB033
    Seiko Turtle SRP777 Mod
    Squale 1521 50 Atmos Blue S/S
    Seiko Marine Master 300 SBDX001
    Tudor Pelagos ETA 2 Liner (outbound sadly)

My take is that it's too expensive for what it is. Also, the fact that you're locked into the OEM bracelet only and can't easily swap bands is also a turn off for most of us WISes.
    mikef and dZeak like this.

I saw these while shopping for "the watch" and I simply don't like them. Not the case, not that integrated band, and somehow not the dial. I do love the 4 o'clock date. I really wish more watches had that. All in all it's a big nope. Also it looks like its about a $1,000 price tag for a 6R15? No thank you.
    dZeak likes this.

While pricey for a Seiko diver, the almost $1K is IMO fair considering the specs, unless Seiko are required to offer more for less, which doesn't seem to be the case (they offer great value, but also some shortcomings not found on Swiss counterparts).

For example, you can compare the Transocean vs an Oris Aquis, which also has a workhorse movement, integrated bracelet and a similar price. Many people consider the Aquis as great value, considering its specs and quality. Why would the equivalent Seiko be "too expensive"?
    BDC likes this.

I don't mind the 6R15. If the Shogun weren't a little over my 50mm max lug to lug tolerance, I'd be giving it serious thought.

But with the Trans Ocean, it's mainly the integrated bracelet that puts me off. Also the styling kind of reminds me of the Stargate and the Samurai which aren't my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVedder View Post
    While pricey for a Seiko diver, the almost $1K is IMO fair considering the specs, unless Seiko are required to offer more for less, which doesn't seem to be the case (they offer great value, but also some shortcomings not found on Swiss counterparts).
    The 6R15 just isn't that great. It's not bad. But as the owner of a sumo, I'd be terribly disappointed to pay more than $500-600 for a watch with that movement. Should Seiko offer more for less? How about a Tuna... Pick up an SBBN037 for the going price of a Transocean, or less. You get a substantially better movement, diashield, saphire and 100m more resistance (I guess technically 125m more given ISO 6425). Seiko can do better, does do better. They just happen to have made a mediocre watch, with a major goof on that band, and charged too high a price for it.
    Coldwetdognose and Raydius like this.

Price and integrated bracelet:Fail.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information