Seiko "Turtle" Reissue Production Defects - The Dreaded Bezel Dent
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Seiko "Turtle" Reissue Production Defects - The Dreaded Bezel Dent

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Seiko "Turtle" Reissue Production Defects - The Dreaded Bezel Dent

I know some of us are pretty excited about the reissue of the Seiko 6309 "Turtle" in the form of the SRP 77* series, but it looks like some of the early production watches have some production defects.

The most talked about problem so far is the misalignment of the chapter ring on some watches. Plenty of references and photos of that issue in "the Turtle Thread". Seems on some of the watches the chapter ring is installed clockwise a degree or two from spot on center.

The other problem cropping up is dents or indentations above and below the lume pip the 12:00 position of the elapsed time bezel. Not sure how this is happening or how it gets by Seiko quality control, but my 777, which arrived yesterday, has the problem and it appears from posts made on this forum in the aforementioned thread, others have this problem as well. My watch was purchased from Sears.com and was directly shipped to me from the Seiko facility in New Jersey.

Tried to capture it the best I could. See pics

My watch doesn't have the chapter ring alignment so no problem there. But this "dent" problem is unacceptable to me and as soon as I get a UPS return label from Sears emailed to me this watch is going back.

Not trying to rain on anyone parade as I am exited as anyone about these watches and disappointed I have to return it. Just wanted forum members to be informed.
    Last edited by Dave W; January 22nd, 2016 at 13:11.
    Kamil87, dan55, Morethan1 and 2 others like this.

Re: Seiko "Turtle" Reissue Production Defects

I wonder if that's a one off, I have never seen that issue talked about?? Seiko QC usually pretty good. Hope you enjoy your new replacement Turtle!

My 775 doesn't have any kind of dent, I agree - that is unacceptable. My chapter ring has decent alignment, too - it may be off a hair, but nothing objectionable. If I ever replace the crystal I'll deal with it.
    SBDC0003, SRP775, SRP637, SRP307, SRP309, SRP311/313 Hybrid, SRP313, SRP313/311 Hybrid, SKX007, SNK807, SNK807K1, SNK809, SNK809K1, SNE327

I have purchased three of these re-issues. Only one has alignment issues and it is very slight. None have any issues with the bezel area having any dents etc. Luck of the draw i guess.
    mcnabbanov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty_Ken View Post
    My 775 doesn't have any kind of dent, I agree - that is unacceptable. My chapter ring has decent alignment, too - it may be off a hair, but nothing objectionable. If I ever replace the crystal I'll deal with it.
    How difficult is it to correct a chapter ring alignment issue? I imagine you can move the ring but will it stay in place?
    "When as a child I laughed and wept, time crept. When as a youth I waxed more bold, time strolled. When I became a full-grown man, time RAN. When older still I daily grew, time FLEW. Soon I shall find, in passing on, time gone. O Christ! wilt Thou have saved me then? Amen." - Henry Twells

Seiko Tuna SBBN035 | Tag Heuer Professional 2000 | Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2110

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    How difficult is it to correct a chapter ring alignment issue? I imagine you can move the ring but will it stay in place?
    The SRP Turtle chapter rings have two locating pins on the back side (directly across from each other) and there are notches in the chapter ring landing in the case (12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock). One would then think there would be 4 pins on the back of the chapter ring, but Seiko choose only to use 2. Anyway, if you have an alignment issue and don't want to return the watch because it was too hard to get (if you're in UK for example), then you'll have to take measures into your own hands.

1. Remove the bezel and drop the movement out of the case
    2. Press out the crystal
    3. Remove the chapter ring (those pins are pressed into the notches by the crystal installation process, so they may break, don't sweat it).
    4. Now put the movement back in, with crown in and case back on (you can leave it in there from this point)
    5. If your pins didn't break then place chapter ring into the case and rotate in the 4 notches it until you get alignment, you have 4 different positions to try (if you get alignment now you're done, carefully press in crystal and press on bezel)
    6. If your pins did break off, or you can't get alignment with the pins in any of the notches then go ahead and break off the pins
    7. With no pins you can rotate the chapter ring in 12 different positions until you get alignment
    8. Once you find good alignment carefully press in the crystal while ensuring the chapter ring doesn't move (you're done now, press on bezel)
    9. The pressed in crystal will retain the chapter ring in alignment and not allow it to move even without pins (make sure you press the crystal all the way in)

I recently went through this while installing a AR sapphire in my 773. My watch had perfect alignment, but the pins broke off on me when the crystal was pressed out. Using the above method it was easy aligning the chapter ring perfectly. BTW, the SKX only used one locating pin on the chapter ring and one notch in the case, both at 12 o'clock.

Last edited by cold_beer839; January 21st, 2016 at 21:07.

Without a misaligned chapter ring in some watches the new Turtles just wouldn't be entry level Seikos,

I wonder if the dent is caused in shipping?

yeah... sometimes I see people grumping about QC issues and think they are too picky ..but that is pretty bad I'd send that back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
    I know some of us are pretty excited about the reissue of the Seiko 6309 "Turtle" in the form of the SRP 77* series, but it looks like some of the early production watches have some production defects.

The most talked about problem so far is the misalignment of the chapter ring on some watches. Plenty of references and photos of that issue in "the Turtle Thread". Seems on some of the watches the chapter ring is reinstalled clockwise a degree or two from spot on center.

The other problem cropping up is dents or indentations above and below the lume pip the 12:00 position of the elapsed time bezel. Not sure how this is happening or how it gets by Seiko quality control, but my 777, which arrived yesterday, has the problem and it appears from posts made on this forum in the aforementioned thread, others have this problem as well. My watch was purchased from Sears.com and was directly shipped to me from the Seiko facility in New Jersey.

Tried to capture it the best I could. See pics

My watch doesn't have the chapter ring alignment so no problem there. But this "dent" problem is unacceptable to me and as soon as I get a UPS return label from Sears emailed to me this watch is going back.

Not trying to rain on anyone parade as I am exited as anyone about these watches and disappointed I have to return it. Just wanted forum members to be informed.
    I would not relate a Chapter Ring Misalignment issue to EARLY PRODUCTION WATCHES as you put.

1 because the SKX007 are a decade old and still have this issue

2 because what evidence do you have confirming that Seiko Says the issue is fixed, or Seiko Saying the issue will be fixed

I would chalk it off as a misaligned Chapter Ring and leave it at that
    mcnabbanov likes this.
    GRAND SEIKO SBGA029
    MK II NASSAU

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information