Thread: seiko vs. citizen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

seiko vs. citizen

I would like to know what is the quality of seiko watches vs citizen in the similar watches and price range. What would you prefer: citizen or seiko? Are seikos more ruged and durable? What is the general quality of citizen watches? Better than seiko or the same...?

Suspended

Re: seiko vs. citizen

IMHO...

Equivalent quality. Equivalent price. Equivalent durability.
    Citizen has superior customer service, at least in the US.
    Citizen has better selection of quartz.
    Seiko has better selection of auto.

I shop by design rather than brand. Of late, I have been more impressed with Citizen's models than Seiko. Seiko has had exemplary models, but when considered in total, I find to be generally disappointing. Seiko's pricing and design of recent models has left me scratching my head wondering if there is much left for me in this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    IMHO...

Equivalent quality. Equivalent price. Equivalent durability.
    Citizen has superior customer service, at least in the US.
    Citizen has better selection of quartz.
    Seiko has better selection of auto.

I shop by design rather than brand. Of late, I have been more impressed with Citizen's models than Seiko. Seiko has had exemplary models, but when considered in total, I find to be generally disappointing. Seiko's pricing and design of recent models has left me scratching my head wondering if there is much left for me in this brand.
    Agree! Citizen quartz of eco drive wins hands down but when comes to auto, citizen is nice too but I will prefer seiko auto.

They're different companies with different histories. Citizen has stepped up presence in the United States in the past 2 decades or so. I tend to think of them as more preference reasons or aesthetics than in terms of quality.

I'm excited to be getting my NY0040 in soon.

Foxtrot-Ninety-One-Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by unchained View Post
    I would like to know what is the quality of seiko watches vs citizen in the similar watches and price range. What would you prefer: citizen or seiko? Are seikos more ruged and durable? What is the general quality of citizen watches? Better than seiko or the same...?
    Within a given price range they are of comparable quality and durability. You should expect that watches from either company to be well buily and accurate.

I don't really prefer one brand over the other. Rather, I look for watches with specific features - and both companies have an extensive lineup to pick from.

I have one of each and find them of comparable quality. I find them well made and legible at night.

My personal opinion/assessment:

When it comes to automatics and divers, Seiko. I think they really have the market pegged and have created some great and original designs because of their presence within the industry.

When it comes to pilot watches, Citizen. For the same reasons and presence that they have.

I have 4 Seikos in my collection and 1 Citizen. In terms of wrist time, although the SNZE and SKX are nice watches...they just can't seem to pull the Sumo and Samurai off my wrist.

When I hike, camp, anything outdoors I reach for my Citizen field watch. Nice, light, comfortable, accurate, and well...Eco-Drive, good stuff!

You really can't go wrong with either and you can easily disagree with my opinions as Citizen makes a great diver in the Autozilla and Aqualand and Seiko makes several fantastic pilot watches (Flightmaster).

Seiko SBDA003 "Samurai"
    Tudor Black Bay
    Rolex Submariner 16610Z

Hmmm, I would like to buy divers watch, not pilot watch. I prefer quartz, and citizen quartz divers watches are available localy, and seiko divers in local stores are all automatic. If I would choose an automatic watch it would probably be black monster, because I really like it.
    Would you say that citizen makes more quartz models than seiko? And do you think that citizen quartz watches are better than seiko quartz watches. Also are seiko autoamtics better than citizen automatics?
    And, how is the monster in terms of reliability. Does monsters have often malfunctions in terms of accuracy etc...
    Give your advices...Thank you

Seiko and Citizen are on par for me

Cant go wrong with either.
    Some of the Inventory :
    Rolex DateJust I - WG & MOP
    Chronographe Suisse 18Kct Chronograph
    Omega Seamaster Bond SMP LTD
    Omega Seamaster 200M Pre-Bond
    Heuer Black/Luminous Dial 200M Quartz
    Omega Speedmaster 3577.50 Moon to Mars
    Omega 3510.50 Speedmaster