WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko Watch Review - SRP639 - 1st Buy of 2016

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  deluded 
#1 ·
This time last year, the Seiko fan base were going ga-ga over the new SRP releases. Rushing for any available stocks and some flipping it at a premium, not unlike the Turtles today.

Some called it the Mon-a, some the Tun-ster, I prefer the label Shrouded Monster the most.

Didn't imagine that I'd fit a Monster or a shrouded diver on my 6.5 wrist in the past, and i'm pleasantly surprised at how well it fits.

There are 3 variations in the series, the SRP637 (black dial with stainless steel bracelet), SRP641 (Black PVD case with gold accents) and my SRP639. I find 637 too "white", reminding me of the colour most associated with a certain predominant political party in my country. The 639, on the other hand, reminds me too much of Darth Vader and the dark side. Being the peasantry mortal that I am, i went for the middle ground in the 637, youthful looking with nice pops of yellow on the minute hand and bezel.

Was originally planning to look at acquiring 2nd hand SRPs from Seiko fanboys rushing to liquidate last year's primus watch for this year's. However, I came across a good deal offline for a BNIB at less than a quarter grand USD that I couldn't resist.

The watch has good heft, and feels as if it can convert quickly into a weapon in times of need. External construction is impeccable. However, it's a shame that Seiko still could not get rid of its perennial misaligned chapter ring issue. My piece was looking rather okay, but i spotted many other pieces with badly misaligned chapter rings.

No observable issues with accuracy and power reserve (not measured, just a rough non-scientific sensing). The new 4R36 brings about much awaited hacking and hadwinding capabilities to watches in this price bracket. Lume is crazy, as expected from a monster. Thickly layered Lumibrite struggling to not start lume-ing in strong sunlight.

The stock Seiko Z22 black rubber strap is unsurprisingly disappointing, stiff as a stick. I didn't leave the shop with it. Bought it on an yellow accented perforated motorsports-style leather strap. Also bought an Engineer style Yobokies Anvil and a Borealis Vulcanised Rubber strap for variaty sake. The SRP definitely looks good on all 3 plus a Hirsch Accent Caoutchouc sometimes roped into rotation duties.

In summary, the SRP639 is a value for money diver's watch that looks great, feels great and performs impeccably. Most importantly, patience rewards WIS who waits for the production issues and prices of new models to stablise. Enjoy yours too.

See less See more
#3 ·
I tried one on locally this week. They were charging a whopping $620.

To echo what OP said, that rubber strap is super stiff and would definitely need some hot water treatment.

I have to compliment you, it looks fantastic on the Borealis rubber!

The Turtle is on my wishlist, but the SRP639 may need to be added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.