WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

990K views 3K replies 521 participants last post by  rc2300156 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i'm quite new to WUS, i was wondering, how could it be that a watch such as the mighty CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 which in my point of view, is no lesser to SEIKO SKX007/009 (which i own as well), gets far little attention, i'm not getting in to the old debate, of which is better, both equally amazing to me, with pros and cons. what i do think is that CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 should get more cyberspace, the reason i posted this thread, is to try and enrich the visual knowledge about this truely amazing watch :)

So without further ado Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

See less See more
#347 ·
I have find a little time and done a some refurbishing for my resent purchase.
I have polish the case and crystal and dress it into nato strap.
My wife never had an interest of divers watch cause its all looks the same for her ☺ but once I show to her final result of my yellow 0040, she said: "its realy looks cool".

Her dog didn't care about it at all, unless its made of cheese ) . She loves cheese.

#349 ·
I have find a little time and done a some refurbishing for my resent purchase.
I have polish the case and crystal and dress it into nato strap.
My wife never had an interest of divers watch cause its all looks the same for her ☺ but once I show to her final result of my yellow 0040, she said: "its realy looks cool".
What a difference your polishing makes. Excellent results and congrats on the purchase. What a great feeling to find a watch you have been searching for for a long time.

#360 ·
Proudly wearing on my Citizen supporter hat today!

:-d

So, after buying some Citizen World Timer GMTs, Eagle 7s, Seiko Kinetic Cocktail Divers and and the like, I decided it was time to get one of those chunky, rugged, "tool watch" divers that I was seeing so much of on the forums.

I considered the Seiko SKX007 of course, but to my eye the Citizen NY0040-09BE was an obviously superior choice!

A hand-wind-able movement, silver outlined hour markers, a much "inkier" black dial that just left the indices "floating" on a black infinity, better looking hands, black day/date wheels, a more detailed and interesting bezel, the crown at 8 o'clock so it doesn't dig at the back of your hand, and if I bought it from a new (to me) dealer I found, called Chronograph.com, it even came with a solid link bracelet. And the clasp on that bracelet was much nicer than the folded/stamped metal clasp of the of the Seiko.

So I placed my first of many orders with WW Lee at Chronograph.com, and was well pleased when I could wear this 2003 Citizen NY0040-09BE.

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

I was so happy, I started to look at the blue dialed model, which I'll wear tomorrow!

Until then!

- Thomas

#361 · (Edited)
It's not my fault!! :-O I swear, I'm innocent!!

:roll:

(Tuesday July 14th) The better blue dialed diver .,,

I came home last night to a power outage, and I didn't get my electricity back until 6 pm this evening. So I could not take my Citizen NY0040 wrist shot picture for yesterday, and it's not my fault!!

So here is a picture of the watch and shirt I wore yesterday, that I had to take today. (Wait, what?) This is another Citizen diver that is vastly superior to the Seiko equivalent!
Instead of the dull, dark blue of the Seiko SKX009, we get the dazzling, star-burst textured blue dial of the Citizen NY0040-17LB.

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

And of course it also has the other advantages of the NY0040 family, the hand wind movement, the distinctive hands, the 8 o'clock crown, and the excellent 59-H1095 solid link bracelet with the superior clasp.

(Wednesday July 15th) The very rare yellow model .,,

Since I had no power this morning, I couldn't make coffee, make a hot breakfast nor take a hot shower.
:("> I had no hot water, so I shaved in a tepid shower, and felt grubby as I dressed for work.

But I took advantage of the situation by deciding to wear a more casual shirt that goes really well with today's watch, the "impossible to find" yellow dialed Citizen NY0040-25YE.

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

In fact I would not have this watch if it wasn't for the generosity of Tommy Cheshire, who saw my many desperate "WTB" postings, as (with the encouragement of his lovely wife :haha:) decided he would sell me his NY0040-25YE, as he didn't wear it very often.
Thank you Tommy, I am forever in your debt!

Okay, I have some salvaged gray hamburger meat that I am going to cook up for dinner now, and I will wear the last member of this NY0040 family tomorrow.

- Thomas

#362 ·
I am really "lichen" today's shirt/watch combination!!

Wow that was really bad, I'm sorry!
Today I am wearing the last member of the Citizen NY0040 family, with no Seiko equivalent, the full lume dial NY0040-09WE, along with a lichen green dress shirt. (See what I did there?)

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

I like how Citizen went with the black hour markers, but I don't understand why they used lumed hands?? You might think it was just less expensive than having different hands than the other watches, but these hands are different as the are black outlined. So, WTF?

This model was discontinued but then brought back and has been available for a while, so I bet I can buy a couple of sets of these black outlined hands. I would put one set on the yellow NY0040-25YE which would look better than the silver outlined hands against the yellow dial, and then have the other set painted full black and mounted on this watch.

Okay, I will go back to my personal WIS chronology tomorrow, which means a few "onesies", isolated watches that I have no "siblings" of.

See you then!

- Thomas

#363 · (Edited)
Re: I am really "lichen" today's shirt/watch combination!!

Big Image

This model was discontinued but then brought back and has been available for a while, so I bet I can buy a couple of sets of these black outlined hands. I would put one set on the yellow NY0040-25YE which would look better than the silver outlined hands against the yellow dial, and then have the other set painted full black and mounted on this watch.

- Thomas
100% truth. 09W hands will looks perfect on 25 yellow dial.

But......... Its not easy to find. I try to check around from a week. Cant find it anywhere. Only hands I have found isfrom MotorCity and from 2300 model avalible from ebay.

If you could find a place where to buy Im in as well for one set.

BTW Great collection, happy for you |> , but a little gelous too. :rodekaart

#366 ·
Re: I am really "lichen" today's shirt/watch combination!!

I am sorry if this has already been covered but here goes. I have just ordered a NY0040-09E from Dutyfree Island. Is it true that production has ceased of Promaster autos? I couldn't seem to find them available in that many places.

#373 ·
Indeed! And yes, the NATOs are the most comfortable wristbands I ever had. Light, good looking and clean.

I like leather bands but they get stained or too worn, while ss might be heavy and full of scratches, but a nice NATO is good as new after warm water and glycerin soap...

#372 · (Edited)
I wanted to try bracelet with my NY0040, but cause nato is so cool and comfortable I decide to get me a cheap one first to see if I will like it or not.

I have got $10.99 solid link SS bracelet from ebay, plus $1 for good spring bars (original won't fit and tiny one arrived with bracelet looks too weak). I have trim end link a week ago but today got time for final adjustment of end link to case shape and brushing it and middle links. I can tell you its end up fine.

End link had a little different color tone but once I sand it and brush it, its end up same as bracelet.

One thing I dont like is clasp only 18mm and its very tiny. I think its could be plus for someone. But to me its feels like I stole it from girls watch :) . Anyway I cant complain cause quality is much better then you can expect for $10.99 I paid for it.

Before brushing.

Final result

#377 ·
Straight end as they don't specify a curved end bracelet to fit the Citizen. I have asked them in the past if they were going to make curved end link versions for the Orient Mako/Ray, but they said no, so I presume the answer will be the same for the Citizen.

#379 ·
Greetings everyone. I just ordered my ny0040 black dial because the blue dial is a bit hard to find or prices are way too high. Now I am looking for places to get the strap 59-J0609 for my citizen promaster. Any suggestions?

BTW if anyone wants to sell the blue dial here send me a PM. I will get it from you same day.

#382 ·
Woah where did you find the pepsi bezel? I didn't know they made a pepsi version.