WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

990K views 3K replies 521 participants last post by  rc2300156 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i'm quite new to WUS, i was wondering, how could it be that a watch such as the mighty CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 which in my point of view, is no lesser to SEIKO SKX007/009 (which i own as well), gets far little attention, i'm not getting in to the old debate, of which is better, both equally amazing to me, with pros and cons. what i do think is that CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 should get more cyberspace, the reason i posted this thread, is to try and enrich the visual knowledge about this truely amazing watch :)

So without further ado Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

See less See more
#497 · (Edited)
Mini review of aftermarket (yourbandstand) bracelet

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

It looks nice. Solid links with folded endlinks.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

The folded endlinks.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The endlinks sits flush with the case. Brushing pattern is not the same with top of the case.
Clasp is nothing to write home about. Like, if you buy silicone strap with deployant clasp from ebay for $3, it's the same clasp. Usable.

You ask why there are drill bits in the first photo eh? That's the major problem with this bracelet.
The bracelet ships with a pair of VERY FAT springbars (fatter than seiko I think). OK, I think I wont be using the supplied springbars then. I'll use the stock springbars...

Alas... The stock springbars also does not fit through the holes! I mean WTH?! Thinking that return is not the best options economically, I went out to the hardware store. Get myself a few small drill bits in different sizes (luckily they're cheap).

3/32 is the sweet spot in term of size of the drill bit that drilled through it and made it large enough for the stock citizen springbars to slide through...

Sorry, no picture of the drilling process as it was done in an angry mode. No jig whatsoever. Freehand, and hope that it won't damage the holes... (It didn't)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: It's the small mistake by the seller by mailing me the FAT springbar (size equivalent to seiko fat springbars) I should have told the seller about this and he will mail me the correct sized (1.5mm) springbars. The bracelet will accept 1.5mm springbars no problem.

Note to future buyers - The bracelet will accept 1.5mm springbars all right. No need to drill to enlarge the holes.

#498 ·
thanks jalak! i was looking at that exact one on ebay. did you tell the seller? perhaps he could fix that hole size issue for the next deliveries... just thinking outloud here. i am going to pull the trigger on that anyway. just had an email back from chronograph.com saying they are out of stock for the oem bracelets and will not be able to source them.

#500 ·
JRMARTINS: thanks, I have. I could not find any.

By the way, let me share a couple of suggestions (tried and tested) for strap alternatives. The original rubber is OK but as expected, way too long - bear in mind this IS a proper diver so the good people at Citizen's design office factored in the wet suits.

I am quite particular about the straps, it just has to fit (this is highly subjective, I know). One wearable option I've tested is this:

View attachment 6293386

but my absolutely favourite rubber with this Citizen is a simple Ridged black rubber strap:

View attachment 6293490

I think it is the bumps in the rubber profile which makes it fit the case so nicely.

Both of the above are from Modena Watch. I cannot source the black Ridged rubber strap anymore - which sucks, it is perfect. WARNING for the macho types: the strap tapers to 18mm (or is it 16mm?) at the buckle so it is NOT "in your face" type of strap. But mine oh mine, does it wear comfortably!!! I've had mine since 2008 and never thought of parting with it.

#504 ·
jalak (and all who are interested in this aftermarket bracelet): the seller yourbandstand replied to the query (I mentioned the issue of small holes and need for drilling):

"I send the wrong spring bars, I was suppose to send the 1.78mm Dia. Pin and instead I send the FAT 2,5mm dia. pins . You don't need to do anything, NO drilling."

so it should be OK. i will give it a shot. so now it's gonna be a quest for the deployment clasp. ;-)

#505 ·
About the bracelet from yourbandstand that I bought...

It's the small mistake by the seller by mailing me the FAT springbar (size equivalent to seiko fat springbars) I should have told the seller about this and he will mail me the correct sized (1.5mm) springbars. The bracelet will accept 1.5mm springbars no problem.

Note to future buyers - The bracelet will accept 1.5mm springbars all right. No need to drill to enlarge the holes.

#512 ·
Just an update: I ordered the stainless steel band from ebay user "yourbandstand". Impressive service, journey from US to UK only took 5 calendar days - in Christmas season! Dave sent the correct 1.78mm (diameter) spring bars so they fitted the holes perfectly. No drilling. The band is of a decent quality and finish. Clasp does let it down a little bit but that is not a biggie. I am really glad I bought it. Thanks Dave. (Will post a pic or two later.)

#513 · (Edited)
Hi guys just thought I'd add my opinion
i have a Seiko 007 that I love nearly to death lol but for xmas the wife gave me a full lume ny0040 on the Nd rubber strap and so far so good.good enough to give the 007 a break.its losing around 35secs in a week which I'm happy with and it wears well and instead of an orient being my next purchase I may just get another ny0040! Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory
Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Arm

my only issues are that being as I have a large wrist the band is not as big and adjustable as the Seiko and the other is the hands at night,I find there really hard to pick up against the face,and I'm not one for modding but has anyone got any suggestions re another set as its the one killer
the only thing I may do is a metal bracelet but I think a diver belongs on rubber lol

#515 ·
Hi guys just thought I'd add my opinion
i have a Seiko 007 that I love nearly to death lol but for xmas the wife gave me a full lume ny0040 on the Nd rubber strap and so far so good.good enough to give the 007 a break.its losing around 35secs in a week which I'm happy with and it wears well and instead of an orient being my next purchase I may just get another ny0040!

my only issues are that being as I have a large wrist the band is not as big and adjustable as the Seiko and the other is the hands at night,I find there really hard to pick up against the face,and I'm not one for modding but has anyone got any suggestions re another set as its the one killer
the only thing I may do is a metal bracelet but I think a diver belongs on rubber lol
Congrats Ozwatchman!

This is one of my favourite watches, and I have my NY0045 since 2009. Serving me well and steady.

I like oyster bracelets but Natos will go well with your watch too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#518 ·
A plague of fleas to all of you! Because of this thread, I now have the LumiSub (NT0040-09WB) coming my way. ;)

I've been wanting an auto Citizen and that luminous dial is just too cool. Now just have to wait for Fed Ex to do their job.

And to think, I'm not a dive watch guy, but now I have 3 serious divers, a dressy diver and a couple of Seiko 5 faux divers. Nobody said this hobby was logical.

#519 ·
A plague of fleas to all of you! Because of this thread, I now have the LumiSub (NT0040-09WB) coming my way. ;)

I've been wanting an auto Citizen and that luminous dial is just too cool. Now just have to wait for Fed Ex to do their job.

And to think, I'm not a dive watch guy, but now I have 3 serious divers, a dressy diver and a couple of Seiko 5 faux divers. Nobody said this hobby was logical.
I put sapphire crystals on most of my divers (Orient Rays and Makos, Seiko SKXs and Promasters) which may or may not compromise the water resitance, hows that for logic! However I keep one untouched which I DO swim and snorkel with!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I have just received the lumed dial version and I can almost read by it in the dark!

#522 ·
The Strapcode Endmill bracelet is what I wanted to get next to try on my NY0045. I recently got the Strapcode super oyster for my Glycine Airman and I was very impressed with the quality and solidness of the bracelet and end links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#523 · (Edited)
Finally, it's here! (Actually, 3 working days from Singapore is fantastic service!) Can't believe I waited so long to purchase one of these. And the luminous dial scratches my itch for a yellow dialed watch (besides my Pogue).

(EDIT - adding the obligatory lum shot) Green Circle Gauge Clock

Attachments