WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

990K views 3K replies 521 participants last post by  rc2300156 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i'm quite new to WUS, i was wondering, how could it be that a watch such as the mighty CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 which in my point of view, is no lesser to SEIKO SKX007/009 (which i own as well), gets far little attention, i'm not getting in to the old debate, of which is better, both equally amazing to me, with pros and cons. what i do think is that CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 should get more cyberspace, the reason i posted this thread, is to try and enrich the visual knowledge about this truely amazing watch :)

So without further ado Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

See less See more
#577 ·
This one amazes me. It's the one bought second hand and battered (see earlier post). I have not had it serviced since I bought it, and have been wearing it for a week, and after that amount of time it has only gained about 4 seconds! By far my most accurate non-quartz watch. If I spent thousands I couldn't do better.

View attachment 7733314 View attachment 7733322
I wouldn't have thought a polished NY0040-09E would have worked until I saw your photos. I tend to prefer more subtlety but this really "pops". Your polishing transformed it from being a straight ahead working tool diver to a "dress" diver. BTW, if you don't mind, where did you get the bracelet and $$? The total package works quite well.

#576 ·
A little late to the party but I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to add my comments and appreciation for the NY0040.

I am relatively new to watch collecting and recently purchased the NY0040-09W luminous dial model thru Skywatches - Singapore. It would be an understatement to say that I am pleased with the watch, it is even my avatar! I feel the 09W has the potential of a cult classic, so much so, that I started a thread over on the "Dive watches" forum to try to draw attention to this particular model:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/citizen-ny0040-09w-luminous-dial-diver-you-may-not-know-you-want-one-yet-2933962.html.

This was my first Citizen automatic diver and now having to exercise self control to not add the 09E black dial to my collection (I have no lack of black dial divers, both auto and quartz). I suppose what I like best about the NY0040 is the subtle yet well executed design, especially on the 09W which is quite unique. Furthermore, for under $130, the watch is a steal.

Here are a couple of my pics:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Green Clock Turquoise Wall clock Analog watch

#586 ·
'Green Lantern' (I like the term!) on new Springboks NATO:

It's hard to get the white balance right owing to how rainy it has suddenly become outside! Strap is dark green with yellow.

Not pictured, safely back home: the biltong. 'N baie mooi dag vir almal!

Sent from my couch

#591 · (Edited)
Watch Watch accessory Product Analog watch Fashion accessory
I
I was walking through a shopping centre today in Bangkok whilst on holidays and stumbled upon 2 of these, 09w and 09e, also The NY0045 with the full lume face (that's the gold bezel one) Plus they had a few NY0054's. As mentioned above they are getting a bit dearer.

I couldn't resist the baby blue one though. Have 3 colours now!

#593 ·
An awesome watch and an awesome watch!

I still have my original black dial 09E bought in the 90s'. Lume is now dead but the watch just keeps on ticking. Have always wanted to get the 09W luminous dial and this thread has just pushed me over the edge :)

#597 ·
I have a new addition to the collection. Just rec'd the NY0040-09E black dial. I had been torn about buying the watch, as I have no lack of black dial divers, but felt it was either now or never. There have been rumors that Citizen has discontinued production and within the last few weeks, one vendor after another was either showing OOS or had raised prices dramatically, a sure indication of dwindling inventory.

Considering the NY0040 was introduced in 1997, I'm late to the party. I had never given the watch much consideration until I recently purchased the luminous dial 09W in January. I was so impressed with the 09W (check out my avatar) that I started a thread over on the "Dive Watches" forum to draw attention to this unique watch (https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/citizen-ny0040-09w-luminous-dial-diver-you-may-not-know-you-want-one-yet-2933962.html). Since then, I have been fighting the urge to buy the 09E, but, hey, I'll just sell one of the other divers that I don't wear often to make room....yeah, "That's the ticket!" (not gonna happen...).

I'm glad to have the 09E. There is just something about the understated, all business approach of the NY0040. If I were going to reduce it to simplest terms, "balanced" seems to fit. Not too large, small, over the top...just a good clean design.

The message is, if you want either the 09E or the 09W, I sincerely believe this is last call. I hope Citizen continues to offer divers with an automatic movement like the NYXXXX series but believe they are phasing that out in favor of "Eco-Drive". I have the blue dial BN0151-09L, not talking it down, but I rarely wear it. OTOH, the 09W is (and will stay) in regular rotation and expect the 09E will also. I just love the watches.

Now if I couldn't only find a suitable and reasonably priced bracelet...still searching.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

And my treasured 09W

#603 · (Edited)
It's sunny today so I wore this to dazzle the world!

View attachment 8034298
View attachment 8034306

It's a fingerprint magnet though.
Definitely takes the 09E to a different level. Actually, seems to put on par with SKX007. I've always thought that part of the SKX appeal was that it walked the line between "sporty" and tool watch. The polished double row knurling on the SKX bezel gave it a visual "pop" along with the polished case sides. Your polishing of the 09E turns it into a different watch. In a way, takes it past the Orient Mako/Ray as a dressy diver with a more refined look. May eventually try this with my recently acquired 09E. Don't believe this treatment would work with the 09W luminous dial...I like that model exactly as delivered.

#612 ·
#615 ·
Thanks Rob Cox and everyone that shared. It was some of your bracelets that made me have to get one. The rubber band just does not do it for me. Just bought the original ss bracelet with quik length extension that came with the ny0040. I will post pics of updated bracelet when I put it on. Super excited. Here's the bracelet. He was kind enough to throw in some free ss spring bars!
Ammunition Brass Material property Gun accessory Metal