WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

990K views 3K replies 521 participants last post by  rc2300156 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i'm quite new to WUS, i was wondering, how could it be that a watch such as the mighty CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 which in my point of view, is no lesser to SEIKO SKX007/009 (which i own as well), gets far little attention, i'm not getting in to the old debate, of which is better, both equally amazing to me, with pros and cons. what i do think is that CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 should get more cyberspace, the reason i posted this thread, is to try and enrich the visual knowledge about this truely amazing watch :)

So without further ado Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

See less See more
#715 ·
I have five of these damn things now!
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The W is stock, one of the E's is a used wreck for £37 which I totally polished with new new bezel insert. The crystal came from my other E which I put a Sapphire into.
Then I saw this at a bit too much money (new) but I know they are out of production, so..........
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The fifth is actually work in progress, as it will be a mixture of two watches (E's) which my local Horologist is making into one good one! Cosmetically they are tatty, but when I get the watch back it will have a fully serviced movement, and I will probably give it the filed and polished treatment. I may post some before and after shots.

#716 ·
Wow, do keep us apprised! In spite of the recent groundswell in appreciation (as evidenced by this very thread) there's not nearly enough Citizen diver nuts out there compared to the SKX or even Orient scene... your post seems to hint at a welcome exception! ;)
Who knows, in due time it'll be at the heart of its own scene with mods and everything...

Put my "green lantern" on a sky blue perlon for a day at the local derelict-shipyard-turned-hippie-hangout. Nicely matched my outfit and proved a worthy companion in swimming the murky waters of Northern Amsterdam.

I have five of these damn things now!
View attachment 9183530
The W is stock, one of the E's is a used wreck for £37 which I totally polished with new new bezel insert. The crystal came from my other E which I put a Sapphire into.
Then I saw this at a bit too much money (new) but I know they are out of production, so..........
View attachment 9183610
The fifth is actually work in progress, as it will be a mixture of two watches (E's) which my local Horologist is making into one good one! Cosmetically they are tatty, but when I get the watch back it will have a fully serviced movement, and I will probably give it the filed and polished treatment. I may post some before and after shots.

Reactions: anabuki
#719 ·
My brother had the SKX so I have seen it in person to provide my feed back for both watches.

1. I like the look of the bezel on the Citizen NY0040 more than the SKX's.
2. If you ever look at both in close up, the Citizen NY0040 dial looks much better in my opinion. Its the silver lining around the lumes that make it more vibrant and add a little depth. While the SKX seems kind of dull, 2D and "cheaper" looking almost as if its just painted on.

Here are a couple pics from the net I found side by side shots.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

A lot of pictures and different angles at this link: Summer Special: Seiko SKX007 vs Citizen NY0040

#730 ·
just ordered one of these, black dial. cannot wait. I have an omega SMP and an Oris, as well as an skx and i fear this may take over with some of the most wrist time.

I think the Italian military history sold me. I'm a sucker for mil issued watches. Tudor and Rolex Subs, mil Seamasters, and then boom...citizen NY used by italian frogmen.

HOW COOL IS THAT??

just goes to prove how robust and phenomenal this watch is for the price. a true too tool watch.

#735 · (Edited)
Mine Ny0040-9w arrived yesterday - the bezel pip point however is very pale and almost invisible in the dark.... Has anyone experienced such minor defect? Is it fixable?
Otherwise a great great watch! Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Aqua Turquoise

Updated accuracy for now +2 sec/a day. with some crown up during the day.

Great time piece. Generally citizen movements come new very well adjusted. Same was with my NY0056 when I bought it new in 2015. It used to perform as quartz watch. Now after an year and a half of every day use and some vibrations and shocks here and there, it goes +12 sec/day which is also not bad.... Watch Green Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

#739 · (Edited)
Good morning Citizens!

Sent from my couch

Reactions: tzetz and Rob Cox
#743 ·
#745 ·
^^^^^^^^

I see you've got some good colour coordination going on there |>

Reactions: jmar1980
#752 ·
I might be wrong but is it possible Citizen is discontinuing the NY0040 series? The prices have shot upward and I see one outfit in NZ is selling for 499.99 USD. YIKES! I managed to find a blue one with bracelet in Italy and, with great trepidation, decided to purchase. Knowing there is a high percentage of mail shrinkage in that Country and factoring the price, went for the deal.

While I have yet to hold the Citizen in my hand from the pictures I have viewed the dial has considerable more depth than a SKX. Add the winding option, my 7026 watches never seem to be fully wound, the divers certification and you have great value.

#758 ·
I might be wrong but is it possible Citizen is discontinuing the NY0040 series? The prices have shot upward and I see one outfit in NZ is selling for 499.99 USD. YIKES! I managed to find a blue one with bracelet in Italy and, with great trepidation, decided to purchase. Knowing there is a high percentage of mail shrinkage in that Country and factoring the price, went for the deal..
I am wondering about this as well. They seem awfully scarce and limited almost exclusively to European sellers. The shipping charges are pretty excessive. I would love to find one myself.