WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

990K views 3K replies 521 participants last post by  rc2300156 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i'm quite new to WUS, i was wondering, how could it be that a watch such as the mighty CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 which in my point of view, is no lesser to SEIKO SKX007/009 (which i own as well), gets far little attention, i'm not getting in to the old debate, of which is better, both equally amazing to me, with pros and cons. what i do think is that CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 should get more cyberspace, the reason i posted this thread, is to try and enrich the visual knowledge about this truely amazing watch :)

So without further ado Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

See less See more
#1,414 ·

As the father of two daughters who are grown now, I can recall watching them playing with their Barbie Dolls. It occurred to me this evening that my watches are my "Barbie Dolls" in that I'm constantly changing their straps and bands. Just like my daughters changed the dresses and outfits on their real Barbies. I'm not sure if that made sense to anyone but me? That's okay. No one entertains me quite like me, anyway. D'oh!

#1,415 ·
Finally found one to add to my collection!

Just to explain, this is the third example of this watch I have. I have exchange the previous two, because they both had dust on the dial, witch bothered me once I noticed it. Also the level of finishing of the case was distinctively different between the three examples I have handled. The first one was finished very well (distinctive brush lines, highly polished) On second one of the them the bruising lines were hardly noticeable and the polished sides were king of cloudy (if that makes sense). This one is somewhere in between, but it has no dust inside the watch. Just a heads up to anyone in the market for one, there could be some quality issues to these apparently, but it is a really nice watch nonetheless. Very exited to have it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,428 ·
Just wondering if anyone had any feedback between these originals and the new 2018 and 2019 series like NY008 and NY009? Perhaps the green NY0099-81x

I’m thinking of picking one or the other. Would both be redundant? Same movement and specs are similar right?

Thanks.

Looking great everybody!!

#1,431 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone had any feedback between these originals and the new 2018 and 2019 series like NY008 and NY009? Perhaps the green NY0099-81x

I'm thinking of picking one or the other. Would both be redundant? Same movement and specs are similar right?

Thanks.

Looking great everybody!!
I'm certainly no expert, and I can't offer an argument agaist redundance since I bought 2 of the same watch. There is a review on youtube that says the ny0040 and ny0080 are essentially the same except for face , hands and crown. Btw, I just took off an skx009 and put on the ny0040. So far I'm impressed. It definitely wears smaller, but seems a little more precisely built. The chapter ring seems to line up perfectly with the face and the bezel. The print on the dial seems smaller, but better definition imo. Glad I bought 2.

#1,438 ·
yinzburgher said:
My apology to anyone I led astray regarding the model number. In a fairly extensive web search I had previously found no reference made to this model number directly by Citizen. And when this model was originally listed for sale on ebay, most other sites that contained this model number were sites like picclick, which compile ebay listings and directed you back to the relevant refurbished ebay listing. It didn't appear to be for sale anywhere else. Also, I had never seen that reference on here or any other forums. So I emailed Citizen and they got back to me just yesterday with the response below. Sorry for the confusion but I hope this helps clarify the discrepancy a bit.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting CITIZEN.

The models are the same with the same functions but model NY0040-09W is not sold in the US market but NY0040-41E is.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Marlene
Customer Care
Interesting. My watch has English/Spanish days of the week, so it kind of makes sense, but then it doesn't appear on the Citizen US website, so...???

I wonder if they'd planned to reintroduce it in the US, then changed their mind--which would explain why apparently new watches are being sold as refurbs. We'll probably never know.

In any case, I'm going to have a hard time getting this one off my wrist. Very pleased with the purchase--I can't believe I got it for only $99.

#1,443 ·
My initial guess was that 41E was a US market designation, too-the question is: why were they so seldom sold (if at all) and why are they all being sold away now? Here's to hoping for more US releases of 42mm automatic divers...
Yes definitely strange as it's not listed on the Citizen USA website, nor has it been for the past few years at least to my knowledge. Is it possibly "discontinued" for the North American market, as in it is no longer being distributed? The response from Citizen made it appear as though this version is part of the current North American lineup.

#1,449 ·
I went ahead and ordered the NY0040-41E from the recommendations of the recent eBay deal.. It will be mg first Citizen automatic, but the hands and dial look very reminiscent of the BN0151-09L which I already have.

I just got an email confirmation that it shipped so it's a waiting game now.
Did you buy before from the US with the International Priority Shipping? I'm a bit worried about hidden costs and returning the watch if it's not perfect as people here seem to get them from that sale.
Also: first post :)
Please post when you get the watch. I'm debating between this and the BN0150...

#1,453 ·
I ordered a "re-refurbished" model off Ebay last week. I had the Eco-Drive version a couple years ago and loved it but had to eventually flip it. I always wanted to see what the auto was like, so fingers crossed...for $99.99 delivered I couldn't say no. The seller is officialwatchdeals. I asked the seller to clarify what they meant by "re-furbished" before pulling the trigger on the watch, here's the answer I got:

Text Font Line Document Number

I'll post again when I receive it.

~Cheers

#1,455 ·
I ordered a "re-refurbished" model off Ebay last week. I had the Eco-Drive version a couple years ago and loved it but had to eventually flip it. I always wanted to see what the auto was like, so fingers crossed...for $99.99 delivered I couldn't say no. The seller is officialwatchdeals. I asked the seller to clarify what they meant by "re-furbished" before pulling the trigger on the watch, here's the answer I got:

View attachment 14882379

I'll post again when I receive it.

~Cheers
Thanks for posting that. Reads a little more reassuring.

I have always gravitated towards automatics, but it's nice to have an eco drive which I don't need to set each time I want to wear it or reset when it starts getting too far off track. I have been wearing the eco drive version now for the past 3 weeks. Even on the polyurethane strap it's a lot more comfortable than I imagined it would be. I'll probably get the bracelet for both the NY0040 and the BN0151-09L, but it's not a rush.

I wanted to try out the auto version also . I have been wearing Seiko SKXs for the past few years and these two seem to be competitors. I originally was eyeing the eco version model, but there seems to be a lot of fans of the NY models as well. Talking to a few people on here, they seemed to have switched over ahead of me...

#1,460 ·
I don't think any of you need to worry about your refurb watches from ebay. I got my NY0040 from Officialwatchdeals about a week ago, and like I mentioned above, I really believed it was new. It even still had the retail tag on it. The band was not at all bent or showing wear in any of the holes. No scratches. I am very happy with the deal.

On a side note, are the crystals on these especially smudge-prone? None of my other watches seem to show smudges as much, but this is the darkest dial on any of them, so maybe that's what makes them more visible.

#1,461 ·
I don't think any of you need to worry about your refurb watches from ebay. I got my NY0040 from Officialwatchdeals about a week ago, and like I mentioned above, I really believed it was new. It even still had the retail tag on it. The band was not at all bent or showing wear in any of the holes. No scratches. I am very happy with the deal.

On a side note, are the crystals on these especially smudge-prone? None of my other watches seem to show smudges as much, but this is the darkest dial on any of them, so maybe that's what makes them more visible.
Well I received my watch today and you are 100% correct. I can't find a thing wrong with it, no scratches or blemishes and it runs and sets just fine.
Even the chapter ring is perfectly aligned with the dial indices, imagine that! What the hell Seiko?

This was a steal for $99.99. Officialwatchdeals is legit.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#1,467 ·
Somebody else purchased a few of these watches and contacted me personally about another matter and we were communicating back and forth. Maybe some buyers on here got a bad lemon, but he was thoroughly impressed with his units that were delivered. He bought one, thought it coud be a fluke and then ordered another and then a few more before they sold out. Near the end he was going to buy even more but alas there were no more.

Anyways he shared that the NY0040 models being sold were either 1999, 2009 or 2019 models with the latter being most likely. Upon inspection it seems to have the updated features of the more recent years since the 1999 and 2009 models had stamped case backs compared to these ones. Also these being sold in general have tighter tolerances in contrast to the older models and updated plastic movement holder.

Again this is not my own investigations, but information that somebody obviously more knowledgeable has shared with me. I just don’t feel like I should post their messages publicly without their permission.

Anyways some food for thought. I’m sure there are others out there with their own valuable input as well.