WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

990K views 3K replies 521 participants last post by  rc2300156 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i'm quite new to WUS, i was wondering, how could it be that a watch such as the mighty CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 which in my point of view, is no lesser to SEIKO SKX007/009 (which i own as well), gets far little attention, i'm not getting in to the old debate, of which is better, both equally amazing to me, with pros and cons. what i do think is that CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 should get more cyberspace, the reason i posted this thread, is to try and enrich the visual knowledge about this truely amazing watch :)

So without further ado Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

See less See more
#1,695 ·
11TH FEB 2021
I have just bought at brand new ny0040-09ee from an 'authorised' Citizen dealer I found via the Citizen EU website. Citizen eu headquarters are based in Hamburg, Germany. So as an English guy living right now in Slovakia I thought it best to obtain one in Germany , again via their authorised dealer list. It arrived yesterday. It came in the yellow air canister case. Gimmick, but hey ho.

Now here's my dilema. The seller although on Citizens website has mainly good and the odd bad review. I asked for photos of the 5 in stock to ensure bezel alignment issues as sadly Citizens QC is getting like Seikos..
The seller obliged and sent me a photo. However I never asked to see the caseback.
The dial looks perfectly legit. But the caseback does not. The font of Citizen around the edge of the caseback looks bogus.
I have older Citizens that are stamped not laser printed but the newer models of these all seem to now be lasered.
So my concern is the font ( only around the outer ring of the caseback)

To my surprise my black dial 09ee hacks ! ? Great news if inside is not a Chinese knock off ? The watch both winds and hacks. The dial looks perfect. The Citizen logo is spot on. The movement at the bottom says 8203. Like the originals ( the non hackable) BUT the case back says 8204 ( the hackable cal) so i phoned the dealer. He said this batch only arrived with him in Dec 2020. But he will call Citizen Hamburg. He then emails me to say Citizen have told him the new batches now come with the 8204 cal ! But they have not updated their black dials yet ? - this surprises me........he said that Citizen will not give him nothing in writing ? But If I call them, then they will confirm what he has been told today by them.

The problem is Citizen , Hamburg staff are not that well versed speaking English and I do not speak German !

The dealer has said i can return the watch but i will have to pay the return postage ( about €17.00 ) from SK to DE !

So have I got a bit of a unique watch or a fake ??? Crazy as it came from a Citizen authorised dealer.

Is he telling me the truth ?

Help ! /

Watch unworn over 1st 24hrs is +14 seconds.

Pics attached.

Colin

English guy in SK

#1,683 ·
Definitely the NY0040 and variants aren’t discontinued. They’re still listed on the official Citizen websites for Italy and several other European countries alongside all the newer Promaster models. There are also tons of recent 2020 serial numbers on casebacks. They haven’t been distributed officially in North America in at least the last 5-10 years (if ever).

#1,684 ·
Soemtimes, the Asian and Euro editions are labelled with NY008 rather than 004 but otherwise basically the same watch with dial, hand case back and crown changes. Glad they finally added hacking which was the most useful missing feature. Sadly, like with Seiko, Citizen USA often gets left out for the new editions.
Citizen has a shot at NY004/8 being the automatic ISO rated diver with the longest continuous production now that the SKX is discontinued.

#1,685 ·
Soemtimes, the Asian and Euro editions are labelled with NY008 rather than 004 but otherwise basically the same watch with dial, hand case back and crown changes. Glad they finally added hacking which was the most useful missing feature. Sadly, like with Seiko, Citizen USA often gets left out for the new editions.
Citizen has a shot at NY004/8 being the automatic ISO rated diver with the longest continuous production now that the SKX is discontinued.
If I'm not mistaken NY008X was the 2018 FUGU LE series. NY009X was the 2019 FUGU LE series. These used the same case and bezel (with the engraved Fugu Pufferish caseback) but have different dials and hands. The NY011X is the new 44mm version with sapphire crystal. There are also 3 titanium variants (2 in silver tone and one with a black DLC coating), but I can't think of the model numbers off-hand.

#1,687 ·
The Citizen Aqualand was launched in 1985, I don't know if it was continuous, and it has been updated a couple of times, but I'm sure the Fugu has been as well. The current Aqualand (JP2000-08E) is ISO 6524. So for quartz ISO rated divers they probably hold the crown too.

"The international diver’s watch standard ISO 6425, which largely complies with the DIN standard 8306 specifies which requirements a professional diver’s watch must meet.
However, very few manufacturers have their watches certified according to the standard.
Waterproof up to 200 meters or more, only a full hundred values are allowed.
The preselected time period and the second hand (or other function control) must also be visible in the dark.
The watch must be antimagnetic in accordance with DIN 8309: After the influence of a magnetic field of 4800 A/m, the deviation must not exceed 30 seconds. per day.
It must also be shock-resistant in accordance with DIN 8303: after impact at 4.43 m/s, the deviation must not exceed one minute per day.
The watch must survive 24 hours in warm salt water without visible traces.
The closed bracelet is loaded with 40 kilograms for one minute without loosening or bending.
The crown is loaded with 0.5 kilograms from above in 25 percent of the specified depth for ten minutes. Afterwards, a Condensation water test.
At a depth of 30 centimetres, the watch is set to 40 degrees for ten minutes, then ten minutes at five degrees, then again for 10 minutes at a temperature of 40 degrees. 40 degrees Celsius. Then the condensation water test.
The watch must spend 25 percent of the specified depth for 1 hour, then 1 hour at 0.3 bar vacuum. Afterwards, the following occurs a condensation water test.
Condensation water test: The watch is heated to 40 degrees. Then one minute a cold, damp cloth or a drop of water is applied to the surface of the fabric.
the glass. After wiping dry, there must be no condensation on the inside. DIN 8306, unlike ISO 6425, places demands on accuracy: e. g. average deviation between -4 and +6 seconds/day. (for chronometers). DIN 8312 other mechanical watches < 90 sec. /day. Only when the watch meets these 12 criteria does it qualify for ISO 6425 certification!"

#1,688 ·
The Citizen Aqualand was launched in 1985, I don't know if it was continuous, and it has been updated a couple of times, but I'm sure the Fugu has been as well. The current Aqualand (JP2000-08E) is ISO 6524. So for quartz ISO rated divers they probably hold the crown too.
In that case, the Fugu has got to be the mechanical dive watch (ISO certified) in continuous production for the longest. While Citizen has updated the Fugu, the changes are marginal; today's Fugu looks identical to the 1989 version. And I believe the movement is unchanged (isn't it?).

I'm uncertain about the Citizen Aqualand. Its appearance, case and movement have varied over the years, haven't they? Albeit it's kept the same name.

#1,692 · (Edited)
I recall odd article mentioning that Citizen launched the Fugu in 1989. But I can't remember where I read it! However, I think the Fugu must have been around before 1997 because I read that the Italian Navy issued it to their SEALs in 1993.

Incidentally, it appears that the Italian Navy issued an automatic Fugu - a mechanical watch was given to SF frogmen long after the emergence of quartz watches:

#2,234 ·
De graverer fortsatt den gamle Promaster-logoen, sannsynligvis for å matche den gamle logoen på det gamle lageret av urskiver.
[/SITAT]
I bought mine this week, and it came in a yellow Citizen Aqualand tank. I was wondering the same thing after just buying a new NY0040. One thing I noticed quite by accident is the text on the back. On mine it says ST. Steel and Divers Watch as opposed to only Stainless on others I have seen. FYI, it has the 8204 movement. Other I have seen has the text «Stainless» back and is the «ST. Steel» text a new one?

#1,703 ·
Although it lines up correctly, i have noticed when i change the date , it "clunks" is this normal on this model ? - the dealer ( becoming less interested now, after he claims he telephoned Citizen Hamburg yesterday) says all his stock of these "clunk" and Citizen say it's normal ?????

#1,704 ·
I really wouldn't worry about it. The watch looks legit, i've yet to see NY0040 fakes.
I had a black dial 8203 mov. version and now bought a full lume 8204, both had this clunk you are talking about. Also the rotor is loud as hell, i twist my arm just a bit and it goes like rrratatatTATATATATA 😂
I guess it's just how the movement is.

#1,706 ·
Thanks again !

My concern is how fake, incorrect the font style of the word / logo 'Citizen' looks on the outer circle of printing on the caseback ? Do all the new ( legit) Citizens have this crappy font style ? Be nice to know. My old military 20 yrs old has the old stamping that the fonts match but on this new ny0040 black dial the Citizen logo is perfect on the dial but on the caseback its not the same and looks bogus this, coupled with the 8204 printing on the caseback too got me doubting........thankd for the clunk info, seems like this will be a problem in future years to come owners who HAVE this clunk will have problems with date wheels misaligning. I hope not. Yep the rotor could propel a boat!

#1,713 ·
Ok settled.

Shame but now content my watch is 100% legit without having to open it up ( 3 days old) to look if my 8204 movement , caseback is a real Citizen/miyota cal. Not a snide.

Shame they cut corners with this but hey ho all do nowadays 99% of stuff, Timberlands boots etc are not made as well as yesteryear but i am now convinced.

Thanks a ton.

Colin

#1,714 ·
I don't feel Citizen has cut corners. They have updated the movement to one that both hacks and hand winds. Also, I'm more than happy with the laser engraving on my Fugu.

With the NY011 series, Citizen has started to offer a 120-click bezel and sapphire crystal. Let's hope these upgrades spread to other models, such as titanium Fugus.

#1,715 ·
I know it is already settled, but just for good measure: some guy was claiming back in 2016 that the laser engraved casebacks were Chinese fakes, when Citizen had switched to this "cheaper" version, but people have opened them up and found Citizen/Miyota calibers, and that guy probably had ulterior motives, because he was active on WUS for exactly 2 days, just to proclaim that only stamped casebacks were genuine Citizens and when he got called out he left the forum. Citizen NY0040 caseback not stamped | WatchUSeek Watch Forums

#1,718 ·
I say "old" as in using the 8203 and having 8203 on the caseback. It is not my watch by the way, just a pic borrowed from another thread. I said let this settle it, because you can see that other than the caliber number, everything is identical on your watch. Ok, I see what you mean now, you are saying the word CITIZEN on the outer ring is a standard font and not the Citizen font. So what?
The casebacks have been all over the place. The below seems to have very crude laser engraving.

Before that they were indeed stamped.

#1,719 ·
Yep , you now get me.

I am 99% happy that my watch is legit.

Lets see if CITIZENS EU HEADQUARTERS reply conclusively and do not leave any grey areas..........

So aside from Simon in DE - Does anyone elses 0040-09ee 'CLUNK' rather aggrssively when changing the date manually MON, TUES etc ? Dealer says ' apparently Citizen have told him its normal ? ( it lines up ok in the framing windows)
But even my cheaper watches dont CLUNK!

#1,720 ·
Yep , you now get me.

I am 99% happy that my watch is legit.

Lets see if CITIZENS EU HEADQUARTERS reply conclusively and do not leave any grey areas..........

So aside from Simon in DE - Does anyone elses 0040-09ee 'CLUNK' rather aggrssively when changing the date manually MON, TUES etc ? Dealer says ' apparently Citizen have told him its normal ? ( it lines up ok in the framing windows)
But even my cheaper watches dont CLUNK!
Yes mine ! A Fugu limited edition with Miyota 8223, does not bother me at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,725 ·
Forgive me this one comment, not meant to be lairy, but meant to protect your and our mental health: at this point you are acting not like the infamous "watch idiot savant" but like a watch hypochondriac, 10 posts might not be enough "credit" for people to tolerate that....