WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

990K views 3K replies 521 participants last post by  rc2300156 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i'm quite new to WUS, i was wondering, how could it be that a watch such as the mighty CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 which in my point of view, is no lesser to SEIKO SKX007/009 (which i own as well), gets far little attention, i'm not getting in to the old debate, of which is better, both equally amazing to me, with pros and cons. what i do think is that CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045 should get more cyberspace, the reason i posted this thread, is to try and enrich the visual knowledge about this truely amazing watch :)

So without further ado Show off your CITIZEN NY0040/NY0045

See less See more
#207 ·

Inviato dalla remota Galassia N. 4

#208 · (Edited)
My old beater on an PAN African NATO with black, green, red, green, black stripes:

And on an Oxygen grey and black striped NATO - this is my favourite strap. The original had got very tatty, with white cracks appearing in the ridges, it was just about ready to break. The original is often mistaken for a rubber strap but it's actually plastic and by all accounts can break without warning. Not something you want to happen when swimming, snorkelling or diving, which is what I use it for.
The old strap was so unsightly I stopped wearing the watch for a long time, but this NATO has given it a new lease of life and now it's never off my wrist:

#210 ·
Funny-- I had the same strap Galliano was using on his NY0040 on my NY2300... and it was close, but not quite right, somehow it looks much better on the '40 with the white face. And I wound up putting a zulu/nato something or other in black or grey on the 2300, and it completely brought the watch back to life again for me-- I wear it all the time now, particularly if I'm in a more yuppie mode and wearing a polo shirt and cloth shoes or some lame crap like that. (Sorry, I can't help it, just the way I was brought up.)

As I suspected, the NY0040 with the metal strap now can't be found on the big auction site, so I'm glad I snapped one up before it was too late (could still have bought the OEM strap separately, but would have been more expensive.)

My NY0040 has slowed down a bit over the past 90 days... seems like every week or so, it's lost about 15 seconds. Which is really pretty astonishing... it can't really be only two seconds a day, I've got to check that. Bummer that you are having accuracy problems, dohl. My money would be on the magnet as well. Was it always that way? Did it happen suddenly, or increase or decrease slowly? Also, I don't know crap out of autos, but I wear mine more or less constantly for the first month I have them until they settle in.

The NY0040 is now pretty much my favorite auto. It's really doing right by me... with accuracy in that range, I can take it on a five day trip and not worry about resetting it, missing planes or trains, etc. I just feel like I know what I'm doing when I wear it, which is very important to me, because I'm working a new job and I really have no idea what's going on.

Reactions: JohnM67
#211 ·
Just received in the mail. I also picked up my first Seiko skx009 a couple of weeks ago.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

First impressions: Love the size and the location of the crown doesn't dig into my wrist as with other watches. The bezel is a bit looser than the SKX, is this normal? It also has a tinny, rattle sound if I were to tap it. Other than that I like it a lot.

#224 ·
Here is mine with different straps, amazing value for the buck
unfortunately to me has a big flaw the loose bezel turns to easily so would not wear and trust this watch while diving, honestly being an iso diver I would expect a tighter bezel.. apart that is one of the best watches in his category
Never heard of any real issues with the bezel for the NY models. Mine is precise and accurate, solid click every minute turn. Comparing to my Squale 20Atmos, it feels a bit more easier to turn if that's what you are trying to say here.

But neverthelese, I don't see how the bezel will get turned easily in a diving application. I have come across some divers years ago who swear by this watch. And if I were to dive today, this watch will accompany me in a dive anytime.

Reactions: Makhno
#225 · (Edited)
well if you google it you will find a bunch of threads about it, it is not really an issue because the bezel does not turn by its self, but it turns quite easily imho , I know there are other watches with loose bezel too, but as I said, being this an iso diver I would expect it tighter (I'm not talking about precision or clicks...) for istance during a dive your arm can always accidentally slam against something... so having a tight bezel it is very important, In my case I do not dive but still many times I woke up in the morning with the bezel turned which I found quite annoying, I know sometimes I 'm picky....

#226 ·
I see. That's very unfortunate. Perhaps you can have a watchmaker look at it and tighten it if possible. Mine is not as "loose" as you describe. And definitely not for the folks on the dive boats seen sporting this diver!

#230 ·
Oh sorry, I'm on a phone, didn't see it. I kinda like the odd feeling, it's not like I use it anyway [emoji13]. It's funny all this talk about military background and all the pics made me buy the NY0045-05eb again, lol!!

#231 ·
No reason to be sorry i was just confirming / agreeing with your observation.