Thread: SKX007 Stock Oyster vs Super Oyster Bracelet

SKX007 Stock Oyster vs Super Oyster Bracelet

Is the stock oyster bracelet that comes with SKX007J same as the “super oyster” that many people prefer to the jubilee bracelet?

Are there also two versions of SKX007J with oyster bracelet? I found one model SKX007J-T2 on a on-line seller’s site which sells for $278. I also found one called SKX007J-4 on another seller’s site listed for $240. Both are from Singapore and are reputable sellers. The seller of the “T2” version says the bracelet is of Type 2 with solid links and double push button lock. The other seller of the “4” model only says the links are solid.

Could the more expensive one be the “super” oyster and the less costly one be a normal stock oyster? With almost 40 bucks difference, which one do you prefer?

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Re: SKX007 Stock Oyster vs Super Oyster Bracelet

Without more information, I don't think anyone here tell you for sure what you'd be getting. I'd recommend asking the sellers to be sure. One thing to know is that Seiko doesn't sell the 007 with all the strap and bracelet options that you see online. Those are put together by sellers to meet customer demand, so you have to ask if the picture or description is unclear.

Regardless, I wouldn't pay an additional $40 for a Super Oyster, since you can buy one for $35 shipped worldwide:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/17022...d+Super+Oyster
    Regards,

Gabe

What is the stock metal bracelet for the 007? I see it advertised most with the jubilee bracelet and of course the rubber band.

There are a few "stock" bracelets:
    1. folded oyster (not as common, thin)
    2. jubilee (most common, thin and jangly)
    3. president (rarer, comfortable)
    4. z22 strap.

The Super Oyster is not available from Seiko and you often must buy it from someone like Yobokies. I doubt anyone selling stock SKX007s is fitting super oysters to them.

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitestripes View Post
    There are a few "stock" bracelets:
    1. folded oyster (not as common, thin)
    2. jubilee (most common, thin and jangly)
    3. president (rarer, comfortable)
    4. z22 strap.

The Super Oyster is not available from Seiko and you often must buy it from someone like Yobokies. I doubt anyone selling stock SKX007s is fitting super oysters to them.
    I've got a half-written guide to Seiko bracelets that I really need to finish!

In the meantime, here's the breakdown. Whitestripes has pretty much nailed the OEM Seiko bracelets, and pointed out that the Super Oyster is NOT a Seiko OEM piece. Great bracelet, though.

Regarding what comes stock on the SKX007/009, you've got the jubilee and the rubber strap. The others are fitted by a dealer.

The folded oyster that some people use comes from the SKX031/033:

There is also a solid oyster sold by Chronograph.com & labelled as a SKX009 bracelet, but it actually comes from the SNA225 Chrono. It's a nice enough bracelet with pins for adjustment and no push buttons on the clasp:

The President bracelet was released along with the SKXA53/A55, and it's still standard equipment on those watches:

One other that wasn't mentioned is the 'Super Jubilee', which is more solid and robust than the standard Jubilee. It's the stock bracelet for the SHC041, but fits the SKX divers. It doesn't look much like the original Jubilee to my eyes, but it's a nice bracelet:

So as you can see, it's all clear as mud when it comes to Seiko bracelets!
    Regards,

Gabe

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but since all the information is already here, what is the "type 2" Oyster that Chronograph.com sells?

Double post
    Last edited by GarageBoy; May 27th, 2009 at 05:14.

Triple Post
    Last edited by GarageBoy; May 27th, 2009 at 05:14.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but since all the information is already here, what is the "type 2" Oyster that Chronograph.com sells?

I think it is an actual oyster from Seiko, the tops of the oyster link are polished, and there is no pivot in the intermediate links like a typical oyster would have. I ordered one and I'm not very happy with it. The links are not solid, you can see the line where they were folded over. Also the end links do not match the SKX007 or SKX173 that he advertises it to fit. Check out the picture carefuly and you can see about a 1-2mm difference in endlink height and the lug height. I've since moved on to a watchadoo.

That said I might be willing to get rid of the T2 bracelet if you are interested.

Last edited by bowtie76; May 27th, 2009 at 17:31. Reason: add picture

I PM'd you let me know if you don't get it.

Thread Information