Thread: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,149

    SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    Hi all.

    I'm going around and researching the 'black monster', and have noticed that there seems to be two models? Is one model just newer, hence the new code?

    Or are they different enough from each other?


    Regards,
    Ilham

  2. #2
    Member Tuff Gong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    a giant dust bowl...
    Posts
    1,136

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    I believe the SKX779K version is made in Malaysia (w/ japanese made movement) and the SKX779J version is completely made in Japan. I'm not sure what the SKK779 without the last letters are all about though. Maybe it's just the retailers omitting the last character?

    Regardless, there is little difference if any according to other posts I've read.

    I've always wondered if they got the "K" from the Malaysian capitol of Kuala Lumpur

    "Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is 'THE' sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!"
    "You got a receipt?"
    "Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad"
    "In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks......."
    "Just give me the money"

  3. #3
    Inactive Isthmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    9,888

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong View Post
    I believe the SKX779K version is made in Malaysia (w/ japanese made movement) and the SKX779J version is completely made in Japan. I'm not sure what the SKK779 without the last letters are all about though. Maybe it's just the retailers omitting the last character?

    Regardless, there is little difference if any according to other posts I've read.

    I've always wondered if they got the "K" from the Malaysian capitol of Kuala Lumpur
    I'm sorry but there are some errors in your replies. To the best of my knowledge the 7s26 is not assembled in Japan. I believe that all 7s26's are assembled in China these days (either there or Malaysia - One of the two). The monsters are only assembled in Malaysia. some of the older models were assembled in Singapore, but no more. They have never been assembled in Japan. the only Japanese market models of the monster line are the Night Monsters and those are believed to also be assembled in Malaysia.

    As for the numbers the original poster is asking about, they are both the same watch. The number to the left of the K is the watch's model number. As was posted the K is used to denote either Singapore or Malaysian assembly. The number that follows the K denotes how the watch is attached to your wrist. IIRC, a 1 means that it is on a strap and a 2 means that it is on its bracelet (please correct me if I got this backward).

  4. #4
    Member Angelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City, USA
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    Seiko has reported to me (via e-mail) that all parts of their watches are made in Japan---but are then shipped to China, or Malaysia. No longer are Seikos made in Singapore. Does this mean Singapore Seikos could become something of collector's items?


    Angelis

  5. #5
    Inactive Isthmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    9,888

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    Seiko has reported to me (via e-mail) that all parts of their watches are made in Japan---but are then shipped to China, or Malaysia.
    Oddly Seiko has e-0mailed me the exact opposite. what I've been told is that even on their Japan made models they will guarantee assembly in Japan, but not the provenance of the manufacture of individual movement and/or case components (which can be made in any number of seiko factories located throughout asia).

  6. #6
    Member edwinthomas76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    948

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    I'm sorry but there are some errors in your replies. To the best of my knowledge the 7s26 is not assembled in Japan. I believe that all 7s26's are assembled in China these days (either there or Malaysia - One of the two). The monsters are only assembled in Malaysia. some of the older models were assembled in Singapore, but no more. They have never been assembled in Japan. the only Japanese market models of the monster line are the Night Monsters and those are believed to also be assembled in Malaysia.

    As for the numbers the original poster is asking about, they are both the same watch. The number to the left of the K is the watch's model number. As was posted the K is used to denote either Singapore or Malaysian assembly. The number that follows the K denotes how the watch is attached to your wrist. IIRC, a 1 means that it is on a strap and a 2 means that it is on its bracelet (please correct me if I got this backward).
    Gabe, your are correct and you are not going backward

    No one dies a virgin, Life screws us all.
    Seiko SKX781K1 aka "ORANGE MONSTER". Casio G DW5600R aka "RASTAFARIAN".
    Seiko SKX779K1 aka "BLACK MONSTER". Casio DBC 1500 DATA BANK aka "GEEK CHICK".
    Seiko SKX031K2 aka "MINI PMMM" (Mod by SeikoKaki). Casio G DW5600MS-1 aka MIL mod.
    Seiko SBCM023 aka" PROSPEX PERPETUAL CALENDER 200M SCUBA".
    Seiko SMY017P1 aka "MIL STYLE KINETIC".
    Seiko SNK809K1(Black Dial) aka " MIL STYLE BEATER".
    Seiko SGG707 aka " TITANIUM DRESS WATCH". Citizen AP0440-14F aka " PROMASTER ECO-DRIVE DIVERS 200M".
    Seiko 5M22-6878 "AGS SPIRIT ".
    Citizen AT0660-05F aka "TITANIUM CHRONOGRAPH ECO-DRIVE."

  7. #7
    RPF
    RPF is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    It depends on the model. 1 refers to the original configuration (strap or bracelet) for that particular dial/hands. 2 denotes an alternative (usually bracelet instead of strap) for the same configuration. Not common but I've seen a few like that.

  8. #8
    Member Angelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City, USA
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    I have also been in contact with Orient Watch Co. who reported the same with their watches as did Seiko. Are they all programmed to say "Japan?" I do wonder this because there is that old stigma that "Made in China" signifies all things cheap. My Seikos: 3 Knights, 2 Monsters, and 1 SKXA33 show no signs of lesser quality. In fact, I believe that they rival their Swiss counterparts on many points.



    Angelis
    Last edited by Angelis; March 25th, 2008 at 18:37.

  9. #9
    RPF
    RPF is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    Re: Manufacture. I've traded emails with a senior rep. from one of Seiko's Asian ADs. They've been the exclusive distributors for Seiko in multiple countries since the 60s or earlier.

    According to him, the lower end/older quartz/automatic movements are mostly manufactured in China and Malaysia today. Higher end/newer quartz/kinetic/automatic movements are still made in Japan.

    As for case/dial/hands/bracelets, the basic SS/Ti models are mostly sourced from China, with the higher end Diashield/Brightz made in Japan.

    As it is, we can safely say the JDM models are assembled in Japan, with Japan Made movements. The ones encased with advanced metallurgy also have Japanese cases/bracelets. Beyond this, I won't be surprised if some components are sourced from overseas.

    This manufacturing policy protects the IP and quality standards of JDM Seiko.
    Last edited by RPF; March 25th, 2008 at 17:39.

  10. #10
    Inactive Isthmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    9,888

    Re: SKX779 and SKX779K1 - Is there a difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    As it is, we can safely say the JDM models are assembled in Japan, with Japan Made movements. The ones encased with advanced metallurgy also have Japanese cases/bracelets. Beyond this, I won't be surprised if some components are sourced from overseas.
    I'm not sure that we can say that for all models. Perhaps above a certain price point (such as the mid range where the 6r15 watches are sold) it is true. Lower than that there are plenty of JDM models that are not made in Japan - The Night Monsters being a case in point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •