Some pictures of the Seiko SRX003P1 Direct Drive Kinetic Moonphase

Thread: Some pictures of the Seiko SRX003P1 Direct Drive Kinetic Moonphase

Some pictures of the Seiko SRX003P1 Direct Drive Kinetic Moonphase

I wasn't planning on getting this in time for the new year, but it unexpectedly came in from Hong Kong via super-express Fedex instead of the usual two-week type. It's a very nice watch for the price. The direct drive thing is fun and the moonphase is a complication that will probably never show up in my collection in mechanical form. The asymmetry of the dial and the variety of different finishes on the dial break up the traditional quad subdial configuration and make for a clean, modern dress watch.

The kinetic movement takes a long time to wind up past a few days, but it certainly beats just shaking it. The strap has curved ends and a signed single-fold deployant clasp. Moonphase adjustment is by a button at 10 o'clock.

I'm planning on doing a break-down of how I got the first shot above soon, as a photography tutorial.

Dial detail:

Update: Wrist shot, per request

Also unexpectedly, the watch came in the mail with this rather nice Seiko keychain:

Last edited by ASRSPR; January 6th, 2011 at 09:20.

Re: Some pictures of the Seiko SRX003P1 Direct Drive Kinetic Moonphase

Stunning time piece and great pics. Congrats and thanks for sharing

Very beautiful piece indeed. Sharp photography too. What is the dial on the left side for? I've never handled a Kinetic in person so this might be a dumb question but does the second hand sweep continuously like it would in a mechanical watch?

Wow! Gorgeous! Do you have a wrist shot? I never considered a kinetic - but that one may change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by clarencek View Post
    Wow! Gorgeous! Do you have a wrist shot? I never considered a kinetic - but that one may change my mind.
    I'll try to whip one up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BaCaitlin View Post
    Very beautiful piece indeed. Sharp photography too. What is the dial on the left side for? I've never handled a Kinetic in person so this might be a dumb question but does the second hand sweep continuously like it would in a mechanical watch?
    The second hand ticks at 1hz just like most other quartz movements. The large subdial on the left is a power reserve (D indicates one day's power, W one week, and M one month). The "Direct Drive" part means that the power reserve meter changes modes when there is significant rotor movement or when the crown is wound so that the hand jumps up and down to indicate when the watch is being charged.
    Last edited by ASRSPR; January 3rd, 2011 at 01:01.

If anyone is interested, I posted a pretty detailed walkthrough of the process of shooting that first image on the photography forums: A Guide to Photographing Watches: Anatomy of one image

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    If anyone is interested, I posted a pretty detailed walkthrough of the process of shooting that first image on the photography forums: A Guide to Photographing Watches: Anatomy of one image
    Thanks ASRSPR - quite informative and inspiring. Most (okay..all) of the time, I use my little point and shoot to take photos of my watches and the lack of clarity and focus show in the photos. I do have an (old) 30d with a 24-70 f2.8 but I typically take that out for weddings.

Posted the wrist shot, as requested. It's on the first thread.
    Last edited by ASRSPR; January 7th, 2011 at 02:23.

Thread Information