Thread: SPB005J1 price check?

SPB005J1 price check?

Good evening all, I'd like to pick your collective experience to help me decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a Premier Automatic. I've read as many reviews, oppinions and discussions I could get my hands on (including a lovely review on this very forum) and have decided that I'd very much like one for myself, though I'd prefer to swap the leather with the bracelet from the SPB001.

I've never bought a watch more expensive than 250$ and this particular one seems to be going much cheaper than RRP as of late.

I'll be in the US next month for circa 10 days for a conference, and that's my window to purchase, as it has been discontinued in my native England. So far I've seen prices vary from 950$ down to 650$ (Amazon) and 588$ (one on ebay). My question is: Should I order the watch from Amazon, which has the combined advantage of being (a) relatively cheap and (b) safe from replicas/fakes, or should I wait to see high-street prices in San Antonio and NY? I've never shopped in the states and have no idea what prices to expect in the high-street.

Essentially what I'm asking, is do you realistically think I'll be able to source one for a meaningfully lower price (eg:550 or below) in person within a few days, or should I play it safe and order it for 650? Am I seriously at risk of a fake if I don't?

Re: SPB005J1 price check?

I have the bracelet one on my wrist right now...it's a great watch (I must've posted ten times about it, I really like it) and I have to say I've never seen it in a dealer, Seiko AD or otherwise. The local Seiko shop doesn't have it.

I bought the one I'm wearing from a private seller for $650 used (mint) and liked it so much I picked up another (new, grey market) on the web for $600 (forgot where - inventory adjusters? Overstock? One of those) just in case this one comes a cropper. They're not very common - many of the big Seiko sites don't have them.

I wouldn't worry about a fake in this model. You may wish to check out the new SARC models as well (see New Seiko Watches based on 6R21 Calibre to appear in July) but they are a bit pricey IMO.

Good luck!

It's hard to beat online prices. I would spend the extra and go with Amazon. Purchased a few watches from them, never a problem...Ebay can be a gamble...

It is one of the single best values in automatic watches, period. I never liked how it looked that much, but mechanically, for the money, it's not going to be beaten.

I'd say go Amazon, but remember, a lot of Amazon purchases aren't actually BY amazon, but through amazon. Make sure whoever its sourced from (if not Amazon themselves) is credible too.

Toronto Pete: I googled SARC017 and a japanese image of all three watches came up. They look nice, though with a base price lower than the SPB series I'd imagine it's a lower rung on the quality ladder in terms of design: They have the same features and I assume the 6R21 is superior or identical in quality to the 6R20. Ergo, the design must be inferior otherwise why so low base price? I think I'm a little too young for such a classic design anyhow, but thanks for pointing it out.

I'm not surprised the SPB is hard to come by, I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere on the net.

The eventuality that a seller fronted by Amazon might not be reputable never crossed my mind. This particular seller seems to be decent: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...A2E7J74KJYV9ZH

Haven't heard of Watch Grabber but 4.7 stars and 4k+ ratings isn't exactly disreputable. Has anyone any experience of them?
    Last edited by Pint of Brew; August 10th, 2010 at 00:25.

Thread Information