Thinking about getting the Citizen CB1070-56L

Thread: Thinking about getting the Citizen CB1070-56L

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about getting the Citizen CB1070-56L

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Citizen CB1070-56L. It checks all the boxes for me (titanium, Sapphire, thin, simple face, solar, Atomic). I have a couple of Eco-drive watches, and they have never caused me a problem (1 is about 15 years old and the other is at least 10). I'm nervous about a couple of things though. I've never bought an imported watch before. What happens if in a few years I need service? Does anybody in the US service them? The other thing is it doesn't have standard lugs, so the original band is the only band. Does anybody have any experience with these imported watches. Has anybody used ibuyjp?

Thank for any advice you can give.

Re: Thinking about getting the Citizen CB1070-56L

Quote Originally Posted by DFranch View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about getting the Citizen CB1070-56L. It checks all the boxes for me (titanium, Sapphire, thin, simple face, solar, Atomic). I have a couple of Eco-drive watches, and they have never caused me a problem (1 is about 15 years old and the other is at least 10). I'm nervous about a couple of things though. I've never bought an imported watch before. What happens if in a few years I need service? Does anybody in the US service them? The other thing is it doesn't have standard lugs, so the original band is the only band. Does anybody have any experience with these imported watches. Has anybody used ibuyjp?

Thank for any advice you can give.
    With regards to servicing, I wouldn't worry about needing to get an eco-drive serviced. The most likely thing you'd ever need to do is get the battery changed and that could be done anywhere by anybody, including yourself. I'm thinking about possibly getting another eco-drive from Creation even though they only give a 1 year warranty for some reason (Citizen warranty in the UK is 5 years and 6 when registered), but I have enough confidence in the quality to not worry about that too much. On the other hand, if I was spending a huge amount on one that would probably put me off.
    Last edited by clyde_frog; March 20th, 2017 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by clyde_frog View Post
    With regards to servicing, I wouldn't worry about needing to get an eco-drive serviced. The most likely thing you'd ever need to do is get the battery changed and that could be done anywhere by anybody, including yourself. I'm thinking about possibly getting another eco-drive from Creation even though they only give a 1 year warranty for some reason (Citizen warranty in the UK is 5 years and 6 when registered), but I have enough confidence in the quality to not worry about that too much. On the other hand, if I was spending a huge amount on one that would probably put me off.
    Clyde_frog: I agree that the quality of the eco-drive watches I've owned gives me enough confidence to take a chance on the 1 year warranty. Now I just have to convince myself that the non standard lugs won't be a problem down the line. Their are a couple of Stainless Steel models (CB0011-69L, CB1090-59L) which are very similar, which have standard lugs. but they cost about as much as the CB1070-56L which is titanium. 1st world problems.

BDC

Chino (highly recommended AD) has them for $356....

CB1070-56E.CB1070-56L
    * Seiko SBDB009 SD Tuna * Seiko SRP775 * Seiko SARW025 * Seiko SRPB11 Blue Lagoon * Orange Monster SKX781 * SKX011J * Seiko Solar SNE011/107 * Seiko SKA725 * Orient Black Mako * G-Shock GW2310-1 * G-Shock DW5600 *​ G-Shock Mudman * Casio Frogman * Citizen Mont-Bell *

* Glycine Combat 7 *

Quote Originally Posted by BDC View Post
    Chino (highly recommended AD) has them for $356....
    Thanks for the tip, and the link. I think I have stumbled on the website in my research (it can be challenging to get detailed information on these JDM watches). I've seen the name on the forum, but never connected it to that website. I take it you've bought from them before?

I bought that exact CB1070 new on ebay last year and love it. Also, just saw a stainless 1090 on ebay this morning, fairy cheap. I suppose you could have band trouble eventually with the custom lugs, but given that it's a new watch, I imagine you'll be able to get replacements from Citizen for several years.

I saw the listing for the cb1090 on eBay a couple of days ago. I actually sent the seller a question wondering why he was selling a brand new watch for cheap. Looks like a good deal. I'm spoiled and I'd rather have the titanium band.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the cb1070. It? hasn't arrived yet, but I did order it from Chino, as was previously suggested. They shipped it right out.

Remnds me a little of the Casio Oceanus OCW-S100 - very similar; 3 hands and date atomic, solar, sapphire, titanium. Plain, simple, very fine finishing. Pretty much the perfect "everyday" watch.

Echo the others about this being a no-worries watch; almost bought this myself but ended up with a different Attessa. My only question - do you travel? If you don't much, then the world time function will stay on home time always and essentially do nothing. If you do, read the calibre manual to make sure you approve of how the world time, and in particular the SMT setting, works - some calibres are difficult to override the time signal's SMT setting, for places where they use a different Daylight Savings system than the time signal contains.

I believe the watch wasn't new, as the seller indicated a few minor marks and blemishes. Can't find it now. Maybe it sold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information