Thoughts on the Seiko SUN019? - Page 4
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Thoughts on the Seiko SUN019?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Thoughts on the Seiko SUN019?

I always wonder about the kinetic movement. It'd be in rotation, so keeping it charged might be an issue. I was looking at both at an AD, and passed on a SUN065 to get a PADI Turtle for that reason, cool-looking as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Camguy View Post
    I always wonder about the kinetic movement. It'd be in rotation, so keeping it charged might be an issue. I was looking at both at an AD, and passed on a SUN065 to get a PADI Turtle for that reason, cool-looking as it was.
    I have a SUN019 and a SUN023 that I have not worn very much recently, and I give them a shake every now and then. Still at full charge after at least a month of sporadic wear. With these, the issue of keeping them charged doesn't seem to be much of an issue. But I do have the Seiko charger, so can charge them if they need it. I love mine still. The quickset hr hand is great for travel.

Last edited by wemedge; December 17th, 2016 at 07:25.
    GTR83 and shakin_jake like this.
    It's 1700hrs somewhere...

Have these 3 Kinetic in rotation, all working well. Wear them once a week to keep fully charged.

Put one on each wrist and go for A short jog or a brisk walk with the dog does the trick.

SUN023 GMT diver

SUN025 GMT

SUN043 GMT 50th Anniversary Seiko

shakin_jake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dscustoms View Post
    What a load lol. It's the same battery as five hundred other models, and takes like ten minutes to change. It also doesn't display 15mn, just 5, 10, 20, 30. but hey, who cares right? If you don't like something that much, get rid of it.
    What's your freaking problem? The guy asked for thought on that watch, those are my honest thought. Don't like em, well, you know what to do.
    BTW, I wrote "never got PAST the 15mn", not that it stopped on 15mn. And yeah, that piece of turd is going away as soon as I find the time to take care of it.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    I have one, for a year now, grown to hate that watch. That Kinetic movement is horrible, never got it past 15mn indicated charge, even though I'm a pretty active guy, AND there's no way to charge it outside of wearing it(tried every alternate method from toothbrush charger to record player and everything in between), it isn't even that accurate as I get -4 seconds a day on average(my Longines Hydro, a mechanical, hold better time than this). The way to set the date, and you will have to unless it's your only watch and you wear it every day(making sure you shake it for an hour or two every day), is time-consuming and annoying. Ther lithium battery inside should last 5-6 years, after that it will be an expensive repair IF you can still get the part then. And of course, it does exhibit all the markers alignments problems that all the lower end Seiko share. So no, I would never buy it again, I never wear it now and will probably give it away some time soon.

~~~sounds like you got a real lemon...I could see -4s/month, but not every day...that's not good IMO, for a quartz/kinetic!, should be way better than that!! Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    "It's kind of like when my doctor asks me how much I drink. Over what time period? It's not unheard of for me to drink 6-12 beers in an evening, but that usually also means that I drank 6-12 beers for the weekend, 6-12 beers for the week, and probably 6-12 beers for the month. So the answer is 6-12 beers, but if you interpret it one way, I'm an alcoholic, and if you interpret it the other, I really should drink more."
    - S. Bream, Binge Drinker

I have the 023 and I have to say that I like it very much.
    I like the hi-tek looks of it and on the silicone strap is really comfortable for such a big watch. I tried the 019 but found it too heavy, and generally speaking I am not a big fan of Seiko's bracelets.

It is also very good for actual diving, readability is great under water. And the true GMT functionality is great for a travel-vacation watch.

I have several other watches, mostly automatics, so I don't wear this one very often. Still I have found the Kinetic mechanism to be pretty efficient. I just need to wear the watch a day or two and it charges up to more than a month reserve.

I have two other Seikos, a Sumo and a Baby Tuna, and if I were to keep only one (and I might) it would be the SUN023.

BTW, my 023 is running at 3-4 secs per month, which is perfectly reasonable for a non HAQ watch.

I recently purchased a used, but like-new SUN065 via a seller here on Watchuseek and am absolutely in love with it. I have an SKX009 and a heavily modded SKX171, along with a quartz-based Shinola Runwell Chrono, and the SUN065 is the watch I always want to put on in the morning.

It is large on my relatively small 6.6" wrist, but I find it a lot more wearable than I had anticipated it would be. I think it helps, too, that I have it on a single-layer Zulu-style strap, as per the attached photo. It doesn't fit under shirt sleeves and can even be a tight squeeze under jacket sleeves, but I often find myself just staring at it. The depth of the dial is absolutely mesmerizing, and the action of the bezel makes it a joy to use. Plus, as others have noted, the true GMT functionality with jumping hour hand is genuinely useful if you travel frequently.

In my experience, it's one of those watches that looks good in photos, but looks and feels an order of magnitude more appealing in person. Also, if you're concerned about the visual size of the case, the black-based colorways do appear significantly smaller on the wrist.

Hope this helps, and if you're considering going for one of these, just do it!

Name:  IMG_1919.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  1.51 MB
    GTR83, ebenke, Cobia and 1 others like this.

Since I replied to this thread I also got me a real Tuna.

Still I love my SUN023 very much.

The bezel action is much better than on the Tuna, a delight to use as edotkim pointed out above.

I stopped wearing it for a few months after the summer holidays (diving with it in Bali) and the charge run down completely. Still it only took a couple of sessions of hand shaking while watching TV and a weekend of normal wear to bring it back to full charge. The kinetic system in these (at least in mine) is very efficient.

Highly recommendable diving watch.

Name:  20170214_195958.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  198.1 KB
    Last edited by Blackdog; March 16th, 2017 at 11:57.
    GTR83, ebenke and shakin_jake like this.

I love the look of the sun043 wish it was smaller

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    This forum has made me poor, but enjoy my wrist!

"An empty wrist is a waste of time" - Heingericke

Wish list is too long for a signature

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information