Tip Thread
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Tip Thread

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Tip Thread

I have seen many great tips here for everything from polishing a watch to drying out moisture to tightening a case back. I thought is was time to start a tip thread that I will sticky here. Here are the rules:
    Use the advanced option to title your what your tip is.
    One tip per post.
    Absolutely no comments to posts here in this thread (they will be deleted).
    Please post pictures in your tip if you can.
    Please feel free to cut and past your older tips in this thread.

I think it will make a nice read as it grows.
    Last edited by samanator; April 14th, 2010 at 14:55.
    Duke106 likes this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Release for a Tuna crown

After many Autos mu first Tuna had me guessing which hole was to release the crown. The photo below should help.

I was able to easily remove the crown with a bracelet tool (This worked best, the smaller one I tried before did not release the button). With the crown unscrewed place the spring pin tool in the indicated hole and push the button and gently pull out the crown at the same time. Comes out like a champ.

Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Re:Tip for curing gritty crown threads

Tip for gritty feeling screw down crown: pull crown out all the way and run some waxed dental floss on the threads. The floss will come up black from machining grit. Keep doing it until the crown feels silky smooth when screwing down.

FWIW I've done this on a lot of watches but every Seiko diver I've handled has had this little issue (except 6309-7040) and this trick works really well... and you only really have to do it once and its good for years.
    Last edited by samanator; April 14th, 2010 at 14:49.

Re: Tip Thread

this thread needs more tips
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inactive

Re: Tip for curing gritty crown threads

Very nice Tip on the dental floss W123!

I never had that cross my mind till I read it here, although I've used things like a piece of paper towel crunched up to a point which could leave paper fibers behind it worked okay, but your advice Tip is awesome...

Thanks,
    Jim

What to do when your Seiko is running exceptionally fast

I've heard this works for the 6r15 & the 7s series

What to do when your Seiko is running exceptionally fast

What to do when your Seiko is running exceptionally fast. Exceptionally fast is + seconds per hour. Since there are weekly posts about this issue I thought I'd try to make finding the solution easier.

Originally posted by Fugit

Quote:
    I am not a watchmaker, so follow this advice purely at your own risk. But, it worked for me.

I received my first new Seiko, a Black Monster, back in October. Out of the box, it was gaining 10 seconds a MINUTE. I was disgusted, but I hate sending stuff back, so I did some research. It appears that the hairspring of the 7S26B can get hung up on the regulator pins if it takes a sharp impact. Mine was definitely not magnetized - it had no effect whatsoever on the needle of a good Suunto compass.

Based on posts on this forum, and others, it appears that the fast-out-of-the-box problem is common. However, the 7S26B seems to be very reliable in actual use. My theory is that the dynamics of the balance wheel are such that the hairspring is vulnerable when the mainspring is unwound and everything is "loose", but better controlled once the mainspring is driving everything.

Back to the solution. I tapped the watch, on a cloth-covered wooden table, alternately on the caseback and on the edge opposite the crown. Based on pictures of the movement, this seemed the logical direction to get the hairspring back in place. I have no way of calibrating the force used, but I would call it fairly hard "taps", but short of "banging" (all with wrist and finger motion, not moving my elbow). A level of force that I wouldn't expect to damage anything, and that certainly wouldn't mar the case in any visible way (in case I ended up sending it back after all).
    The result: on about the 6th tap, the second hand visibly slowed, and the watch began to keep time. I have worn it daily since, with about +4sec/day accuracy on average and no problems at all. Your mileage may vary.
    As far as the demagnetizing suggestion, that might actually work, in an indirect way. Demagnetizers, at least that I am familiar with, also make ferrous metals vibrate. This might shake the hairspring back in place, even if the watch was not magnetized to begin with. I would add that it would be fairly difficult to magnetize a watch in typical shipping packaging, with the box enforcing several inches of effective air gap around the watch itself. Also, the 007 is an ISO diver, with a fair degree of antimagnetic protection (not quite up to Milgauss or Gaussman level, but still more than an unprotected watch).
    Last edited by BigJunior; September 4th, 2010 at 20:25.
    MarioTito and RickF. like this.

Re: Resizing my Samurai bracelet

I just re-sized my Samurai bracelet with a small nail, hammer and pliers. Just some light tapping on the pin loosened it from the link, I pulled the pin out with the pliers, and the "ring" fell out the other side (make sure you stay aware of this sleeve or ring part as they are very small). I took the next pin out to take away a link and put the pin back in, slipped the sleeve into the other side and tapped it to cinch the pin into the sleeve. Been fine for a few weeks without any pins slipping out (unlike they did when I had an AD re-size it. I caught it before I lost the parts or worse, the whole watch).

Store the extra links, pins and sleeves in a small plastic bag.
    Last edited by Turnaround; November 28th, 2010 at 22:57.

Re: Resizing my Samurai bracelet

Hejdav

I have looked, but couldn't find any guide for this, so i made one myself:D

I dont have the biggest wrist in the world so natos are often too long for me, so here is a nice way to shorten them.

Here is a before pic.

What you need=
    1 pair of scissors
    2x coins, i used 2x 20 danish krones
    1 clamp
    1 lighter

1 You tighten the two coins around the nato.
    2 You cut around the coinedges.

3 You smelt the end of the nato to prevent the strap to fray.

4 You now have a shorter nato than 2 minuts ago.

I think it looks good and its an very easy way to get a good result.

Hope someone can use this!

Kristoffer

I think it will make a nice read as it grows.

I've found that while inserting pins on a Seiko monster band, after you make your adjustments, pin pushers can sometimes be too narrow to push the collar inward.. it goes through the middle of the collar. While this may be obvious to some, to others it may not.. you can use the end of a large paper clip (not the mini ones) to push the collar on.. while using another paper clip end to press the solid side at the same time. I hope this helps.
    6309-7049 / SQ 7049 Hybrid / 7n42-6139 / 6602-8050 / SARB017 / 6139-6002

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information