Votes: 97 42.7%
  • Sumo

Votes: 113 49.8%
  • Neither. Stick with the SKX007.

Votes: 17 7.5%

Turtle or Sumo...

30K views 152 replies 113 participants last post by  countingseconds 
#1 · (Edited)
Considering stepping up from my SKX007 with a new Turtle or a Sumo.

I instantly fell in love with the new Turtles when they were revealed. That excitement has diminished somewhat after hearing of so many problems with bezel dents and chapter ring misalignments. I've also noticed that in pretty much every picture posted here the lume looks extremely shiny, which is really not to my liking. As it's so new, there also is a very limited selection for aftermarket bracelets and no way of knowing whether or not someone is going to start making them. The case, like the SKX007 I have now, seems like it would perch on top of your wrist rather than wrap.

Then, there's the Sumo. Absolutely stunning in just about every picture I've seen. I actually bought one back in October and immediately flipped it, which I've been regretting ever since. I think it was the factory bracelet that just really was not to my liking. This is easily remedied as several places sell quality solid end link bracelets. The case looks like it might be more comfortable, or stay put better, with the curved lugs.

The SRP777's are available for about $350, the Sumo for about $390. Not that much of a difference in price.

So, should I pick up a Turtle, a Sumo, or just stick with the 007?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Awesome poll! I have the SRP493 and use it as my field watch for work. Holding up nicely. But I want a watch when I'm off duty, and watches I was considering are Blumo, SRP775, SRP637 or a Borealis. I'm leaning towards the SRP775 for the more vintage look.

I really like the micro brand watches with the 9015, but I like the renowned reliability of Seiko. So it's a toss up between SRP775 and SRP637 right now or if I want more elegance, Blumo. SRP637 would be perfect with round dial markers. If I got that I would replace dial with SKX dial.

Because of my thoughts of modding a SRP637 and leaning towards a more tool look, SRP775 is ahead for me. I would change the bracelet to something more substantial though, but strapcode. The vintage look adds a bit of flair and elegance in it's own way, doesn't it?

#17 ·
The Prospex name is used in lower end solar divers all the way up to the newest MM300 and not everything is created equally within that range. Prospex will just mean that it has a minimum rating of 200m.

As far as quality goes the Sumo will have a better movement and case finishing. This does not mean that it must be your preferred choice between both of them.

#6 ·
This thread is really making me want to get a Sumo all a sudden, lol

I still kind of wish they offered more variants and the lug width being smaller despite it actually being bigger overall seems strange to me, but it doesn't draw from it visually at least. Think I'd definitely take a blue Sumo over a SRP773, but the SRP775 offer a new color option and I personally am looking forward to the SRP787 (BLNR/"Batman" bezel & minute hand) model.

Sumo looks like the superior watch, however... then probably just add a Turtle later on ;-)

#9 ·
That excitement has diminished somewhat after hearing of so many problems with bezel dents and chapter ring misalignments.
Oh man, approach the sumo with caution. I feel like the sumo may be *the worst* Seiko for chapter ring misalignment. That being said, mine doesn't line up but I still love the watch.

I don't understand why you would assume Sumo is in another league. Turtle reissue is also a Prospex, so I would expect it to have the quality you'd expect from a Prospex watch.
I think it's generally assumed that the 6R15 (while based on the humble 7S26) is a tiny notch above the 4R36. The 6R15 has the 50+ hour power reserve and appears in their more expensive watches, while the 4R36 seems like the new workhorse replacing Seiko's 7S26.

Also, a few years back, "Prospex" was a designation for very few watches, but the sumo was including in that group. Then, it started appearing on monsters, BFKs, etc., even though the Prospex versions were identical to the non-Prospex ones! To me (and many), this was interpreted as the Prospex standard being lowered. I really do feel like the new turtle is on the same level as the 007 and monster. At heart, all the watches I've brought up are 200m divers and are phenomenal watches that are plenty capable, but I think the sumo has some incredible finishing which is truly deserving of the Prospex moniker (even if I hate the logo being on the dial :p).

Or, looking at this from a completely different lens, I suspect the new turtles will be around for quite a few years to come and you don't have to make a decision so quickly. But the original sumo with the awesome cursive "Automatic" on the dial... that door is closing very quickly ;).

#12 · (Edited)
You can't go wrong with either!

I've had 3 Sumos in the past, with the last one being modded:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

However, none of them provided the kind of joy that I've experienced with my new Turtle. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I can tell you the Turtle is a definite keeper. It's been glued to my wrist since purchase 2 weeks ago. I think that's a record for me.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

#14 ·
sumo, even though the hype for the prospex turtles is very high now i haven't handled the new prospex turtles yet, just the old ones but the casework is superior to the prospex turtles, the 6R15 trumps the 4R36 and i like the cleaner date only in the sumo over the day date in the prospex turtles.

best for owners of both to give their views though.

#15 ·
With the 6309 reissues being so close in price to the sumos, which offer a better movement, casework and overall quality, I'd spring for the sumo, preferably a non-prospexed one. Wait for the hype over the reissues to die down first then get them, assuming you'd not be enchanted by the awesomeness of the sumo and forget about all other watches[emoji13]

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

#20 ·

Attachments

#22 ·
Sumo, without a doubt. The turtle is more of a sidegrade while the sumo is a definite upgrade. Really depends on your preference,the sumo is something distinctly different while the turtle is close to the SKX and a repeat of a previous hit.

I have yet to try a turtle, but I am 100% in love with the sumo and the honeymoon has still not faded over a year later. The lume is amazing (better than a monster), the dial is nicely balanced, and the casework is stunning. Seiko's stock photos are terrible, you have to see on wrist photos of the side profiles to really see the detail; brushed/polished alternating finishes, curved lugs that hug the wrist, and the lugs/sides make twisted arches that wrap around the bezel while the bezel and case are wider at the top than the bottom (like a peanut butter cup!). It also wears really comfortably and sits quite low on my wrist, I'd go so far as to say it's my most comfortable watch

#23 ·
SUMO all the way!!! I had the SKX for about a month and didn't quenched my Seiko thirst.. And it looks to me like the turtle is just a notch better than that one.. But after 4 months of daily wearing I'm still in love with the sumo! Especially the Blue that I have.. It's just gorgeous! And definetly way more comfortable than the SKx.. Also the 6r15 it's crazy accurate mine it's +2seconds a day!!! While the SKx was -12 a day! For me the Seiko Sumo can't get any better for the price of €390 that I got it importing it to Germany! It's funny how in Seiko ADs here it goes for €600..the turtle should be on the 250 range at the most

#29 ·
I'd recommend the sumo as a step up from the 007. The turtle is cool, no doubt, but the higher grade movement in the sumo is worth considering. Having extra power reserve is quite convenient.

If you order from a reputable dealer you could request they inspect the chapter ring for alignment. I ordered mine through Amazon a couple years ago with no problem. Chapter ring is fine, but it's typically easier to return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#30 · (Edited)
I had a Sumo, now I have a 'new turtle'.

I loved that SBDC001 a long time, but sold it last year to collect some money for another watch. But I missed a Seiko diver since then and when I saw the first comparison picture of Sumo next to the new turtles, I knew, I had to get one of these, because first I simply love that turtle design and second, I saw it would wear smaller than the Sumo.

My view on these two watches:
- The finish on the case of the Sumo is more sophisticated with it's bevels and angels and the contrast of brushed against polished parts. Optically it oozes more quality, it looks a bit more expensive. But hey, the just-a-bit-brushed top finish (while polished like the Sumo on the lower half) of the new turtle is kept simple for homage reasons to the original turtle. Get yourself a Grand Seiko and you really are going to heaven. Turtle to Sumo is just one floor upstairs. (Just like SKX to Turtle is one floor upstairs too!)
- The bezel clicks on the Sumo sound much fatter and there is more resistance when turning the bezel. In comparison the turtle's bezel sounds cheap.
- The 6r15 has just a tiny bit more power reserve and in theory runs a bit more exact, but both are workhorses and both are either running just fine or have to be adjusted. There is not more safety here with buying a Sumo.
- The bracelet and clasp is the same, apart from the width.
- One word on misaligments: There's is much talk about it with the new turtles (and mine is a bit misaligned too), but please note that this is an issue with Seiko. There are quite a few Sumos out there with misaligments too, You're never safe, unless you know a good jeweler.

So, yes, Sumo is more value, but I couldn't care less for one simple reason: I so much more like the design of the turtle. And picked up my preordered new turtle today at my jeweler. It's pure beauty.

Go for the design you love! You cannot go wrong with either. :)

Hand Nail Finger Wrist Fashion accessory

PS: I did not vote at the poll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.