WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The ugly Orange Monster

7K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  photoshooter 
#1 · (Edited)
It all started back in the G-shock forum. I spotted one in a WRUW thread and I thought to myself man that's an ugly watch. Later, I found out this watch has a cult fallowing. It took me a good two months to even consider wearing it and another 2-3 to consider buying one. I finally pulled the trigger and got the watch last week.

I've been wearing it non-stop for the past 3-4 days. I have to somehow beat it off my wrist so the others can get a chance as well. I've already gotten two comments on it. "What's up with your watch it's ugly" and "I don't really like it". The first one was from a person close to me so she spoke her mind and the second was from a person who probably held back a bit. Needless to say neither are WIS's but then again I don't consider myself one either.

Who can blame them? It took me 6 months to warm up to the OM. This watch will forever be hated by 90% of the people that I will come into contact with. But I'm ok with that. I love this watch and won't part with it! Screw what they think! I dislike their guess watches too! (naa I'm kidding I respect all watches, quartz, timex, nike, you name it)

That's all, just thought I'd rant a bit. (barrowed pic)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
orange looks better when it's ugly/utilitarian. I don't really like the the dressy oranges, like doxa or the skx011, those look mismatched to me.

edit: also, I love it when someone thinks my tool watches are ugly. It makes me proud and confirms that I have indeed bought a proper watch for the proper use.

#5 ·
Congrats on your Monster! I have 2 black dialed Monsters but I still haven't tried the orange. I'm a strictly black dialed watch man anyway but the "power" of the Orange Monster has been calling for some time!

#6 ·
I felt in love with the OM since I saw it here at WUS. I think it used to be the banner for the Seiko & Citizen's thread right? I bought mine after I got my Tag F1 'coz I desperately wanted an automatic.

#7 ·
got bit by the seiko bug after getting the monster! a lot of people with higher end watches recommend the monster as a beater! figured i'd get a Black Monster and never an Orange. But 10 watches later, should have gotten the OM instead of the BM... i think it is a MUST in any Seikoholic's collection... ;-)

#8 ·
Initially seeing the OM I was like 'meh', but then I saw the black, and after a little while it grew on me. It was my first Seiko/REAL Diver. I could see getting the Orange if you have a thing for Orange or if you collect variants... I never got the Orange as a fashion thing, it doesn't really go with anything and I never wear that color =)

#10 ·
I had the black one and never liked the orange. In all pictures it just didn't do it for me. BUT, I got one as part of a trade. I figured it was a good deal and it would be easy to trade off. Once I had it in hand everything changed. It's a keeper. As for my black monster, my son tried it on about 4 or 5 months ago. (He's keeping good care of it.)

#11 ·
The orange monster is the ultimate beater !!!

Here is my monster

#14 ·
DPflaumer, No need to wait for a different color - make it happen. Unless you're strictly a stock kind of guy, I'm sure you're aware of Motor City WatchWorks who can mod/replace dials, and anything else you want. I purchased a mint OM on the WUS sellers' site at an insane price, so I don't mind spending on a modification that will result in something very personal and unique. Give them a holler.
Cheers, John Roger

#18 ·
I have been toying with getting an Orange Monster for some time. My only other diver is a SKX007 on a super oyster.

One the one hand, I think the OM looks pretty cool, especially some of the pics I've seen in the forum where folks have it on a brown leather strap. (I really dig the look of a chunky tool watch on leather, as in this thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/leather-strap-diver-got-any-416039.html.)

One the other hand, as someone said above, I'm not sure where and with what I would wear it. It would for sure be the boldest watch in my collection, and I tend not to wear bright colors. But maybe it would nicely accent my normally drab attire. Maybe it would look just as good with a blazer and jeans as any other diver does.

There's only one way to find out for certain.

#23 ·
what's not to love about an OM? before i became interested in collecting, i had a black monster my wife gave me for our anniversary. the orange was something i wanted but didn't pursue buying until after the local Seiko factory outlet closed o| i managed to pick up a nice one pre-loved and i wear it on a ZULU- in fact, i usually change into it when i get home from work :-!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.