Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal... - Page 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Quote Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post
    Thanks, CitizenPromaster. Well, the first part of your post ("I believe if it doesn't hear the signal at all, it gives up pretty quickly") gave me hope that if the watch simply isn't hearing any signal at all, the problem might not lie with my watch. Of course, though, that still leaves open the possibility that the reason the watch isn't hearing anything at all might be due to some defect in the watch itself. And the various reports in the link (http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japan...-coverage.html ) do seem to indicate that RC watches - especially AT Citizens - do sync quite reliably, pretty much everywhere in the US & southern Canada - including Vancouver BC (which is similarly situated and pretty close to Seattle, though even Vancouver is further from Fort Collins, CO) - whereas I've not had or gotten mine to sync successfully even once (or even to stay in "RX" mode "trying" to sync, without it quickly reverting back to "normal time indication" in ~35-50 seconds) in the almost two weeks I've had the watch...

And Gary, your post leads me to believe that in my location, especially at night, the watch should at the very least be receiving enough of a signal to keep it in "RX" mode, "trying" to sync for more than ~35 to 50 seconds before it gives up and reverts back to normal time display, as it always does.

The more I hear/read, the more it seems the watch is likely defective may need to go to Citizen for warranty work - or just plain back to Amazon for refund or replacement. But according to Amazon, it is, "Return eligible through March 16", so I still have time to first see what, if anything, Citizen says in reply to my email inquiry...
    It's possible that the antenna inside the watch isn't getting a good connection to the receiver.

In the meantime, I'd try what CitizenPromaster said about syncing the watch outside manually at night (9 or 10 PM is probably late enough to get good longwave propagation). Make sure the watch is kept still, with the 9 o'clock portion of the dial pointed to Colorado. If it can sync under these conditions in 4-5 minutes, then the watch is probably fine.
    Last edited by GaryK30; February 22nd, 2017 at 23:25.

Re: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Please note the NIST says the time signal will be offline parts of today and tomorrow:

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-fr...o-stations/wwv

You can also check signal strength here: NIST: The Current Readability of the WWVB Time Code.

I bought an old Citizen RC Watch recently and it wouldn't sync no matter what I tried, giving up after a couple of minutes. Then I noticed DST was set to ON so I switched DST (SMT) to off and then it did sync. Somehow the DST being set to ON confused the watch. What is your watch set to currently? http://www.citizenwatch-global.com/s...pdf/h820/e.pdf

As I said try it at night outside, I agree with GaryK30 about the timing before midnight. Or leave it at work for a night if that's safe or at a friend's house. A faulty watch is entirely possible, but my faith in Citizen is strong!
    Last edited by CitizenPromaster; February 22nd, 2017 at 23:48.

My AT9010-52E only has three dial legends, "OK, "RX" and "NO" to which the second hand can be made to point either during sync attempts ("RX") or after ("OK" or "NO") - but mine has only ever pointed to "RX" (so very briefly during each manual attempt) or "NO", and never even once to "OK"...

The watch is set to SDT (i.e. "Standard Time", which is its terminology for Daylight Savings Time off) so sadly resolving the problem isn't as simple at that... ;-(

Will try outside tonight if it isn't raining (actually, probably best for me to try outside up on our second story balcony outside our bedroom window where I've been keeping the watch - there's a clear, unobstructed shot over the houses across the street to the east/southeast, all the way to the Cascades in the distance, 30 to 50 miles away...

BTW, thanks for all the input!

As noted already by jswilson, the time signal will be off today and tomorrow, so you might be frustrated again if you try.

Have you tried a "manual sync" with your watch at a different location ? away from your home, preferably at a high spot somewhere, maybe a park with a hill ?

If your house is a source for RF interference, or if there is RF interference in the line of sight between your house and the transmitter, then perhaps standing outside your house won't do it either.

When it's raining or cloudy in my area I usually get no reception and I'm pretty close to the transmitter (Holland is next to Germany).

Quote Originally Posted by jswilson64 View Post
    Please note the NIST says the time signal will be offline parts of today and tomorrow:

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-fr...o-stations/wwv

You can also check signal strength here: NIST: The Current Readability of the WWVB Time Code.
    They said WWV will be offline (2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz), but I didn't see anything about WWVB (60 kHz). Radio-controlled watches use WWVB, not WWV.

Quote Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post
    The watch is set to SDT (i.e. "Standard Time", which is its terminology for Daylight Savings Time off) so sadly resolving the problem isn't as simple at that... ;-(

Will try outside tonight if it isn't raining (actually, probably best for me to try outside up on our second story balcony outside our bedroom window where I've been keeping the watch - there's a clear, unobstructed shot over the houses across the street to the east/southeast, all the way to the Cascades in the distance, 30 to 50 miles away...
    Your watch should be set to STD-AU (Standard Time/Auto), not STD-MA (Standard Time/Manual). The STD-AU and SMT-AU settings allow the watch to automatically switch DST on and off when it syncs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information