Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal... - Page 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Gary, it is set to STD-AU. Actually, before your post, I was thinking maybe it needed to be changed - set to STD-MA (but only in an effort to try all variables) - though, I hadn't tried that yet...

Pete, I have tried "manual sync" at various other Seattle locations (though, admittedly, not at optimum "middle of the night" times), but all with the same result as at home - reverts from "RX" to normal time display after only ~35 to 50 seconds, followed by a "NO", indicating a failed sync attempt... Actually I would think out on the second story balcony just outside our bedroom window should be among the best of locations - the house is wood frame (inside of which I've never noticed an RF problem - and as a former MW/SW DX'er, that's something I would have noticed), high on a hilltop above the smaller/lower wood frame houses across the street to the east/southeast, with a clear line of sight view far, far off to the east/southeast in the direction of Fort Collins, CO ~984 miles away... I'll see if giving it a try out on the balcony later tonight (instead of just on the ledge right inside the bedroom window, as usual) makes any difference.

Re: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

I noticed that my AT8020-03L hadn't synced last night, so I put it on a little plastic Casio watch stand, pointed the 9 o'clock part of the dial to Colorado through an east-facing window, then initiated a manual sync. It synced successfully from So Cal (about 870 miles to Fort Collins). This was at a little after 4 PM PST.

I tried mine about 4 or 5 times from outside on the balcony at about the same time (~4:30pm PST) - usual result each time - from "RX" to a "revert to normal time display''/"NO" - failure to sync, after between ~35 to 50 seconds each time. Will try again later tonight to see if anything different happens, but I'm not too optimistic...

Quote Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post
    I tried mine about 4 or 5 times from outside on the balcony at about the same time (~4:30pm PST) - usual result each time - from "RX" to a "revert to normal time display''/"NO" - failure to sync, after between ~35 to 50 seconds each time. Will try again later tonight to see if anything different happens, but I'm not too optimistic...
    It sounds to me like the antenna is not properly connected to the receiver in the movement, or the receiver is broken. I'd consider exchanging it for another one. It shouldn't be this difficult to get it to sync.
    Last edited by GaryK30; February 23rd, 2017 at 03:24.

As an experiment, I set my AT8020 to the LON time zone and attempted a manual sync. It ran for about a minute then failed, as expected from So Cal. Based on this, I think your watch may not be receiving a signal, since it also bails out quickly when doing a manual sync.

I'm not sure if the watch listens for a specific signal based on the timezone setting. I think it tries all of them regardless, but the manuals are not very clear on this.

It may simply be that you live in a time signal shadow area and the Fort Collins signal just isn't reaching your house. Some time back when mobile phones (you guys call them cell phones) were still in their infancy there was just such a thing on short stretch of road near where I lived and it was a well known fact the mobiles wouldn't work there. The solution may be as simple as taking your watch with you next time you leave home and syncing it then.

Well, last night I tried numerous manual attempts to sync from outside on the balcony, as well as a few other outdoor locations in the neighborhood several times throughout the night. Each time, same result - "RX" for between ~35 to 50 seconds followed by resumption of normal time display and a "NO"... and the WWVB signal was "excellent" the whole time per http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/wwvbmonitor_e.cgi

Sticky, I've already tried various other locations around town - always with the same result.

Also did get a very prompt reply email from Citizen. The pertinent portion reads:

----
    "Thank you for your email and recent purchase.

It may not be possible to receive radio waves under current environmental conditions (weather) where reception is difficult or in areas susceptible to radio noise. While referring to the reception level display, try to find a location with better reception. Also, it is best to place the watch near a window with the 9 o'clock position facing out, as that is where the antenna is located inside the watch. We suggest trying that tonight.

We also suggest performing an all reset and zero positioning.

If the problem persist we recommend you send your watch directly into our United States Service Headquarters for review...
    " followed by extensive instructions about how to send it in & insure it (at my expense), the need for warranty repair determinations to be made after they have received and reviewed the watch (not via email or over the phone), the potential & procedure for repair charge estimates, the procedure for then remitting payment if necessary, turn around times, etc...
    ---

Nice, prompt reply, etc., which I do appreciate - but nothing suggested for me to try that I haven't already tried or that I haven't already been doing all along (other than the odd suggestion "While referring to the reception level display, try to find a location with better reception" - odd, because a "reception level display" is something which the AT9010-52E doesn't have - other than the basic "OK" / "RX" / "NO" indicators which only register during and/or after manual attempts to sync). And I found all the mention of potential charges a bit off-putting given that my email to Citizen made it clear I just purchased the watch brand-new from Amazon, promptly registered it with Citizen for the warranty, have only had it a bit less than two weeks and have been having this problem consistently, right out of the box...

So, instead, it's going right back to Amazon for a free replacement... a simpler, faster and less risky (totally free to me, including the return shipping) solution than sending to Citizen for their review. Will follow-up with Citizen to thank them for their reply, but to let them know...
    Last edited by r-gordon-7; February 23rd, 2017 at 16:16.

Hope that works out for you, but if the next one doesn't sync either, you may have to consider moving to a different city

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenPromaster View Post
    Hope that works out for you, but if the next one doesn't sync either, you may have to consider moving to a different city
    ...yes - or, just accept being resigned to continue living, having to occasionally manually re-set my watch using its crown - something which, come to think of it, I actually enjoy doing anyhow...

Thanks, folks, for all the input!
    r-gordon-7

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information