Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal... - Page 4
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Let us know how the replacement unit works out.

Re: Unable to get my new Citizen AT9010-52E World Time Eco-Drive to Receive the Time Signal...

Will do...

I'm in the Northeast US (well within the time signal reception area) and have at times had very spotty to no time signal reception with my Atessa Jetsetter. FWIW, as I move from place to place, with the watch off my wrist, the reception does change significantly.

Well, here's the update so far, such as it is...

The 1st Citizen AT9010-52E is now returned to & acknowledged as received by Amazon. In the meantime, I received the replacement AT9010-52E over the weekend and have now tested it for two days/nights worth of 2am/3am auto sync attempts and various manual sync attempts, all as before, from here in Seattle, attempting to sync w/WWVB - Fort Collins, CO.

Unfortunately, all attempts, so far, at syncing with the replacement have also still failed, always just reporting "NO", after aborting from"RX" to displaying normal local time. The only improvement I can detect w/the replacement is that for the manual sync attempts at the various Seattle locations I've tested so far (mostly still in & around our hilltop wood frame home, including out on our 2nd floor balcony w/its clear, unobstructed, line of sight view for many, many miles off to the east/southeast in the direction of Fort Collins CO, as well as at a few other hilltop locations in & about Seattle, with clear views to the S/SE and away from high voltage power lines), instead of it only taking ~35-50 seconds for the 1st AT9010-52E to go from "RX" back to displaying normal time in failed attempts to sync, this replacement AT9010-52E now takes between ~1 to 8 minutes (usually ~3 minutes) before aborting when trying to perform (and then failing at) the same sync function. Progress, of a sort, I suppose, as the increased times before failure may be indicative that this watch may at least be receiving "something" before aborting.

In any event, it seems that the likelihood of both watches being defective, having antenna/receiver connection or other similar issues, etc., is pretty minimal - unless it is a design or implementation problem peculiar to the AT9010-52E model, that other models of watches with "Atomic Clock" RC technology in general do not have.

I suppose there must be some place or places in or around Seattle where I could possibly get this thing to sync - and I'll probably keep trying, from time to time - though more out of occasional compulsion/curiosity than any real necessity. Frankly the effort involved in trying to get this thing to sync on any reliable basis - assuming I can ever actually get it to sync at all - is hardly worth it, compared to the relative ease of manually re-setting the minute hand every few months, should it ever stray too far (for me) from a reasonably accurate time - just as I've always easily done with every other watch I've ever owned, prior to acquiring this marvel of questionably necessary or practical "automated" technology...

In any event, despite my inability to get it to sync, I believe I'll keep the watch anyhow. The reasons: I like its other features: the styling - the "eco-drive" technology - and especially the simple two-button ability to so easily transpose, when traveling, between the local and the selected second time zone, as displayed on the main dial and the 24 hr sub-dial. All those reasons are coupled with my personal, particular "like" - the fact that on its dial face, the Chinese time zone is labeled "Beijing" rather than the more commonly used for this time zone, "Hong Kong". My wife is originally from Beijing and all my in-laws live there, so that's my default second time zone. It will be interesting to see if it syncs better - or should I say at all - on our next Beijing visit. Although the Chinese BPC time signal apparently has only half the broadcast power as WWVB, Beijing is, I believe, much closer to BPC (387 relatively flat miles) than Seattle is to WWVB (982 relatively mountainous miles)...

Sorry to hear it didn't work out yet. Though in truth, it would have surprised me if the replacement watch synced without issues. I am still a little surprised this one takes a longer time to end up at 'No', which suggests it is at least more sensitive, though it could also be different atmospheric conditions (since the attempts with watch 1).

A long as you are happy with everything else, I guess there is no issue.
    Last edited by CitizenPromaster; 1 Week Ago at 22:17.

It's too bad the replacement unit can't sync either. I suspect it will work eventually, as the seasons and weather change (both of which can affect longwave propogation). My AT8020-03L syncs only about half the time lately, while my Casios sync every night. Probably this is due to the antenna in the AT8020 being 90 degrees out from those in the Casios when they all sit in their watch case, and also that the Casios try six times per night rather than two.

Anyway, enjoy your new watch. It may surprise you and sync one of these days.

A brief update... This past weekend my wife & I visited our daughter in Sunnyvale, CA. I brought my AT9010-52E with me just to test out its ability to sync anywhere outside of the Seattle area (where I still had been unsuccessful in getting it to sync even once). Sunnyvale (in the "Silicon Valley" approx. 40 miles south/southeast of San Francisco), is approx 930 miles from Fort Collins CO (compared to Seattle's approx 980 miles distance). At about 10pm on our first night in Sunnyvale, I placed the watch with it's "9" facing east, in an east-facing ground floor window with little expectation of positive results (no view in that direction - and another, taller house in that direction across a narrow walkway). When I started an attempted manual sync, the second hand moved to and stayed on "RX" for about 12 minutes before it beeped. When I then checked, to my great surprise, I experienced the second hand moving to "OK" for the very first time since I've owned that watch (or its predecessor which I returned)! I then moved the watch to an inner room with no window at all, placed the watch (with its "9" NOT facing east) on the floor next to a power cord - a location and orientation which to me seemed designed to fail. I left the watch there overnight to test its 2am/3am automatic attempt(s) to sync. And in the morning, when I retrieved the watch and pressed the lower button - to my great surprise - the second hand again moved to "OK". It had synced again! It even successfully synced within about a minute when I again placed it in the east facing window and attempted a manual sync during the day at noon. Last night we returned home to Seattle - and I left the watch, its "9" facing east/southeast, overnight in our second story window facing east in our hilltop home with the clear line of sight view for many miles off to the east/southeast in the direction of Fort Collins CO - and this morning, when I pressed the lower button to see how the overnight auto sync had performed - as always here in Seattle, the second hand moved to "NO".

So, based on these results, I can now conclude that the watch does indeed work fine, but that for some reason, Seattle (or at least each and every one of the Seattle locations I have tried) effectively amounts to a black hole for WWVB reception... But I am very pleased to report that the watch itself does perform very well syncing elsewhere...
    GaryK30 likes this.

Very strange. Seattle should be well within WWVB's effective range. I'm glad the watch itself works.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information