Like Tree41Likes

Thread: What in the World is a "Grand Seiko'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Confused What in the World is a "Grand Seiko'

Before you start reading please keep in mind im new to collecting watches.
    I was on ebay the other day looking for a new Seiko and im scrolling down and i see a "Grand Seiko" for 3,500$ can't you buy a nice omega sea master which is Swiss made for that price.Why would someone buy a Grand Seiko. Whats so good about them?

Re: What in the World is a "Grand Seiko'

Here's a good read by Seiya (a reputable watch dealer based in Japan) to start you off on the Grand Seiko history:

http://www32.ocn.ne.jp/~kseiya/gs/history-e.html

Do a little research and you will find that Grand Seikos are on par, if not better, than their Swiss counterparts. They are highly regarded in the watch community.

Why would someone who knows something about watches buy Omega Seamaster instead of Grand Seiko?

Case Finish - much better on Grand Seiko
    In-house movements (not bought from a company called "ETA")
    Continuous improvements in their quality

I would list more things but my english is not so good. I would suggest you to learn more about watches and respect companies who make every single part of their watches and movements in their facilities.
    CitizenM, Stensbjerg and chuasam like this.

It's also important to note that the Japanese are excellent watch makers. Easily on par with, if not better than, their Swiss counterparts. Unfortunately, it's a common misconception that just because it says "Swiss" on it, it's better than anything else. This is simply not true. The great thing about Seiko is that you can buy watches that range from $100 all the way up to models like Grand Seiko, which can run several thousand - and everything in between. Check it out, you won't believe the quality you'll find in, say, a $700 dollar Seiko. Hell, even in a $100 dollar Seiko.

3,500 is actually a cheap grand seiko. Most of them are more expensive then that. Given the choice between a Grand Seiko and an Omega it would be a no-brainer for me. They are truly fine timepieces, hand assembled by a very small staff, and produced in relatively very limited numbers when compared to a Seamaster. A Seamaster is a fine watch for anyone with enough money to buy one. A Grand Seiko is a grail watch for a Connoisseur with enough money to buy one.

Rolex 116610LV HULK Submariner
    Rolex 216570 Explorer II Polar White
    Rolex 16610 circa 1991
    Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph 9300
    Grand Seiko SBGA029 Spring Drive Diver
    Casio GW-5000

I don't know if this is true (please someone fact-check me on this), but I have read that the Grand Seiko accuracy specs are better than Swiss COSC certified chronometers. In other words, a Grand Seiko will always meet COSC standards, but a COSC certified watch will NOT always meet Grand Seiko accuracy standards.
    "This thing all things devours:
    Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
    Gnaws iron, bites steel,
    Grinds hard stones to meal;
    Slays king, ruins town,
    And beats high mountain down."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

I've read this somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by pantagruel View Post
    I don't know if this is true (please someone fact-check me on this), but I have read that the Grand Seiko accuracy specs are better than Swiss COSC certified chronometers. In other words, a Grand Seiko will always meet COSC standards, but a COSC certified watch will NOT always meet Grand Seiko accuracy standards.

Grand Seiko is what a lot of us on this particular subforum call.... "Our Grail Watch".
    d777777 and Watchnut12 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pantagruel View Post
    COSC (Auto): Tested for fifteen days, in five positions, at three different temperatures. Average daily rate: -4/+6

Grand Seiko (Auto): Tested for 17 days, in six positions, at three different temperatures. Average daily rate: -2/+4

9S Mechanical | Grand Seiko | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION
    Nolans, ArticMan and Watchnut12 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information