Thread: What's the fascination with 6309 divers?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What's the fascination with 6309 divers?

I've noticed that the 6309 series of divers are extremely popular, perhaps more so than most of the modern Seiko divers. Why is that? Their vintage history? The pillow case? The relative rarity? All this praise for the 6309 has gotten me curious, and may have put me on the track to acquire one...

I currently have a SKX007 diver, which seems to be the natural descendant of the 6309. In many ways, the SXK007 carries the same features of the 6309, but with the advantage of having a newer movement, and presumably having more accessible parts and service options. Also, from what I'm seeing, the SKX007 seems to be carrying a lower price tag than the 6309.

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything through the search.
    CURRENT: Bernhardt Anchor (Black) #2/500 | Casio G-Shock 9010 | Seiko 6309-7040 | Seiko 6309-8089

Re: What's the fascination with 6309 divers?

I think they're popular for all the reasons you mentioned above. Plus, there are plenty of aftermarket parts for them, so it makes for a good modding project.

I had been looking for a decent 6309 to use for my first modding project, and I got lucky...someone offered to trade me their 6309 for a watch I was trying to sell. After messing around with this watch, I'm finding that I REALLY like modding myself.
    Human existence is completely dependent on the upper 6 inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by nilnawk View Post
    In many ways, the SXK007 carries the same features of the 6309, but with the advantage of having a newer movement, and presumably having more accessible parts and service options.
    I'm also new to this Seiko diver thing but I always love to read anything about movements. According from my observation and from what I've read, 6309 has nicer movement but only with 17 jewels (JDM 6306 has 21 jewels). Pics:

6309 vs 7S26

Honestly there's nothing much visually for me here except that 6309 has bigger balance wheel, different shock protection, and maybe the automatic winding system is under a bridge I'm absolutely not qualified to talk about this matter but you can read various review of the movements.

As an additional info, 6309 divers are equipped with metal spacer ring around the movement as opposed to 7S26s (SKX007) which have plastics. I can't say that plastic is worse (I read that it deteriorates faster with age and makes the dial loose) but I'm sure to say that Seiko do this to make 7S26 as a real economical package.

Also 6309 was designed by Ikuo Tokunaga (PROSPEX line), not sure about 007. Is that important? Maybe not but it's nice to know.

I think I should stop my rambling

i have to agree with the above statements. If i break something, its a matter of minutes of me ordering another. The reason I like the 6309 is the cushion case, its such a great look.
    burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the skies from me.

per above - design, durability and value

Attached Images Attached Images  

for me it's the look of the watch....big fan of the "cushion" case.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

The cushion case in one of the things most Seiko fans would like to see come back. For me personally I like the 6105 look better than the 6309, but this is just personal taste.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Yes, the cushion case is cool!!

Like all watch trends, the 6309 styled cushion case model has gone through a revival of sorts and loved by their owners for one's personal reasons. I had 4 and kept one modded one in the herd. Contrary to Samanator's opinion, I liked the 6309 and gave my 6105 to my cousin for the exact opposite reason..looks.
    Many guys love the diver style look and the 6309 and its size and comfortable design, not even mentioning the watch's great war history and solid build. Thus it built up a following in the last several years. There were thousands made during the 80s and so they were/still are around!
    The SKX007 could very well replace the 6309 as Seiko's iconic diver model in the next big watch trend, thought petew in his blog.
    If you are an eclectic watch WIS, you should have at least one 6309 !
    Last edited by T. Wong; February 18th, 2010 at 22:35.

Ozy

Cushion case!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information