Thread: Who makes better watches: Seiko or Citizen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who makes better watches: Seiko or Citizen?

Which is more accurate? Eco-Drive or Spring Drive?

heb

Re: Who makes better watches: Seiko or Citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by watch_guy8899 View Post
    Hello,

I'm thinking Seiko (or the great Citizen Chronomaster), but probably with their straight battery operated quartz models.

I've had 5 or 6 Eco-Drives and have had problems with most of them: 3 lost exactly 10 seconds per day, a diver model just bit the dust after 6 years (heck, a Seiko 10 yr battery life watch would still be good for another 4 years).

Not sure about Seiko's Kenetic drive ones, but I would assume they are no more "forever" than the eco drive watches. I don't understand the desireability of Seiko's hybrid "Spring Drive" watches and for what they go for, I'll probably never rationalize getting one.

Good question,

heb

Who makes better watches. Seiko or Citizen? Which is more accurate? Eco-Drive or Spring Drive?
    Both companies make watches at just about every price point and quality finish (with the lowest end offerings typically sold under one of their other brands).

Comparing the spring drive movement to an eco drive is like comparing a miata to a ferrari. they are just not the same type of product. Ecodrives are volume, machine made quartz modules which use solar cells built into the dials and rechargeable batteries. They are very much like Seiko's own Solar watches or Kinetic line (only there the battery powering mechanism is motion not the sun).

Spring drives, while quartz regulated have more in common with traditional mechanical watches than they do with Quartz watches. Try a google search to find out a full description of what the kinetic movement is.

What each quartz modules, like mechanical calibers, can come in different varieties of quality, accuracy and complexity. IN this regard, Seiko does tend to have a wider range of these movements than citizen/miyota, and produces some very high end watches and calibers under the Seiko, Grand Seiko and Credor brands. Citizen has a different approach and has been steadily moving the majority of their production to traditional quartz and eco-drive powered watches. They have introduced some very high end (from the term of fit and finish and overall quality of the quartz module) recently, especially in their Camapgnola line. Seiko has a few high end quartz watches (in the grand seiko line and some of their kinetics), but not quite as many as citizen does.

Citizen however is a very large supplier of base level automatic calibers (as well as quartz) to other companies.

I wouldn't say that overall either company's products are better than the other. You would have to compare specific models for that, and base your opinion on what you want.

Re: Who makes better cars? Daimler or BMW?

In my opinion it's that kind of question. General comparisons like that just lead to nowhere. Mostly because personal taste and brand perception enter the playing field here just to mention two factors out of a lot more.

As said before both have competitive models rivalling each other in equal ranges of quality, dependability and price tag.

Comparing just a couple watchesor technologies would make for a much fairer game.

Call me bad, but I'm a Seiko-fan...just because I like their designs better.

Luca

easy. eco-drive wins

and eco drive has longer "power reserve" too

but they are for different application, the only common thing between the 2 would be that they both is designed to tell time. period.

if you just want the watch to tell you what time it is, between the 2, i would go with eco drive. if you have appreciation on the movement, then spring drive will might be a better choice

This is a question that you should take to the high end quartz forum - but they will tell you that, in terms of accuracy the Citizen Chronomaster with the A660 movement is the best at +/- 5 a year closely followed by any Attesa or Exceed with the A690, E501 or E401 movement at +/- 10 seconds a year.

The Springdrive is a fascinating technological advance, but until they thermocompensate it it really isn't going to be that accurate.

Once you move away from a watch's prime function; accuracy, it all becomes pretty subjective.

You really need to consider broadening the range of companies to include Orient :gold.

Seiko and Citizen are nice, but Orient still hand-produces (not by machines) their own automatic movements---you can't say that about many watch companies these days. And, Orient and Citizen are Japanese watch companies--unlike what Seiko has become: Singapore/Malaysia.

Just some things to consider....

Angelis

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    You really need to consider broadening the range of companies to include Orient :gold.

Seiko and Citizen are nice, but Orient still hand-produces (not by machines) their own automatic movements---you can't say that about many watch companies these days. And, Orient and Citizen are Japanese watch companies--unlike what Seiko has become: Singapore/Malaysia.

Just some things to consider....

Angelis
    You should be more specific about your statements. I believe you are referring to the lower end movements as being singapore or malaysia made, since seiko produces many mid-range and high end movements in japan and several have a lot of hand assembly involved. They also assemble many lower end wtches in japan, with componenets sourced elsewhere. Miyota on the other hand, AFAIK, also manufactures some low end movements in china. Orient on the other hand sources ALL of their quartz movements from seiko and most of their new watches use seiko sourced components, such as hardlex glass (not all of course) and lumibrite.

Thank you Isthmus for your thoughts.

I am sure that you may know that Seiko has 52% stock in Orient (these days), and so it is not a matter of outsourcing at all----when some are made in the very same factory. But when it comes to who stuck to keeping their mechanical movements an in-house matter---Orient wins, hands down. Any you cannot deny that Seiko, when it comes to marketing outside Japan, markets their less expensive lines (the Singapore/Malaysia) lines, whereas the pure Japanese models are almost exclusively marketed only in Japan.

Orient, on the other hand, promotes really only their top line "Royal Orient" in Japan, as it has been compared to the Grand Seiko many times. And as far as quartz or kinetic---not a matter of discussion.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Angelis

Orient Watch

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Orient Watch Co., Ltd. (オリエント時計) is a Japanesewatch company, established in 1950.
    The Orient Watch company traces its roots back to 1901 and the horological marketing of its founder, Shogoro Yoshida, in Tokyo. For many years, Orient was number three in the Japanese watchmaking triumvirate of Seiko, Citizen, and Orient. However, Casio, riding on the heels of the quartz revolution begun by Seiko in the 1970s, quickly supplanted Orient with watches that were marketed primarily in the United States, but which were also popular in Japan and Asian markets. Nevertheless, Orient stayed the course with a conservative design philosophy and a marketing strategy that has largely ignored the US in favor of Japan and other Pacific rim countries, the Middle East, Russia, and South America.

Today, Orient has manufacturing facilities in Japan, Singapore, and Brazil, and offers a wide range of watch designs and styles, including quartz, mechanical, and light powered (similar to Citizen’s Eco-Drive line). Seiko Epson now owns a controlling interest (52%) in Orient.

In 1985 Orient and Seiko established a joint factory. Orient produces a range of automatic and quartz watches ranging in price from reasonably inexpensive (about 50USD / 50Euro) to very expensive (7000USD). Orient Star and Orient Star Royal are the middle and high-end brands, with the Royal Orient being their flagship line.

Mid-priced Orient watches are perceived by enthusiasts as offering very good value for money. Orient manufactures its own movements, which is quite unusual. Most manufacturers outsource this aspect of their business.
    Orient watches are not popular in North America, but appear to be popular elsewhere in the world. North American purchasers can find Orient watches on the usual auction sites. Orient Star and Orient Star Royal watches are quite hard for North American purchasers to find.
    Last edited by Angelis; April 30th, 2007 at 05:00.

In my non-esteemed opinion, this should have been a poll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information