WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New design of Aquis

16K views 111 replies 72 participants last post by  MadMrB 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I found this new design of one of the most popular models of Oris on their website, how do you guys like this?:

https://www.oris.ch/de/press/detail/92I have to admit I have to get used to the new hands. But all in all it's great.

Cheers
Wolfgang

#33 ·
I think it's a big improvement. The old model's lugs were too chunky for me. And the new hands give me the impression that the design is more cohesive. Now, if they'd downsize the damn thing. That's a big hunk of metal, no matter how you look at it.

#37 ·
Interesting that they are removing 'Automatic' from the dial. Subtracting one line from the top and adding another to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering if anyone would mention that. To me that is the only thing I don't like, but it is a big dislike. I wish they would have moved 'Automatic' to the bottom with the other text.

#38 ·
I must say I was a little speechless at first, thinking "what have they done!?"

Once my palpitations settled down I think it's a definitely softer look with the smoother (and thinner?) bracelet, and overall curvier case. A number of the more angular aspects have been worked out of the design.

On the other hand, and this is where it's confusing to me, the face seems to have gained angles with the redesign of the hands, and there also seems to be an angle (?) on the inner third of the steel lining the hour markers (around the lume). The hour markers would have to be the worse of the changes IMO.

These are aesthetic evolutions and obviously does not affect the function and inner workings of the watch, but I have to say, overall I'm not sure I like it... I got the Aquis because of it's clear DNA. These changes don't abolish all that, but it seems to muddy it a bit for me! It does make it a more versatile watch though, softening up the looks, I have to agree with that.

One definite improvement I will say is the bezel design, how it rises up a little more - that's a great change.

#46 ·
I'm loving my Aquis! But kinda like some of the new things, the bezel being one of them, and crown +guards!

/insert clever or funny note here\

#48 · (Edited)
I think I read somewhere the story behind the the Oris Automatic logo on the dial was to emphasize the fact that Oris makes only automatic watches and quartz watches.

Having the word automatic on the dial is a bit of nostalgia for me and it is easy to figure out from pictures if a watch is an automatic or quartz, especially if there are automatic and quartz versions of the same watch.

The same can be said for a model name and the depth rating on the watch. Or "pressure resistant" and "Swiss Made". Those are usually listed on the back of the watch as well so why put it on the dial?

Love the updated design and leather strap. Now I just have to wait a year until they are available on the grey market..

#53 ·
I think I read somewhere the story behind the the Oris Automatic logo on the dial was to emphasize the fact that Oris makes only automatic watches and quartz watches.

Having the word automatic on the dial is a bit of nostalgia for me and it is easy to figure out from pictures if a watch is an automatic or quartz, especially if there are automatic and quartz versions of the same watch...
Oris only makes mechanical watches, and hasn't made any quartz watches for decades. So having "Automatic" only serves to differentiate it from models in it's range that are hand wound.

#50 ·
Aww man I just bought the old style aquis in matt blue, but think I might like this one better other than the hands. Definitely feeling the sleek design and more tapered lugs. Hope they don't release it in the blue and just stay with the sunburst & black. Can only handle so much buyer's remorse!

#52 ·
https://monochrome-watches.com/oris-aquis-date-2017-collection-price/

'The 2017 Oris Aquis Date Collection is again a great deal in terms quality / price ratio (you have to try this watch to understand how heavy and solid it feels on the wrist), with prices starting at 1,750 Swiss Francs on strap (rubber / leather) and 1,950 Swiss Francs on metallic bracelet. Expected in June 2017.'

#54 ·
I will reserve final judgement once I see it in the metal of course, but for now I definitely like some of the changes. New hand and markers appear to make it seem a bit more upscale. I've had the Aquis date for over 2 years and absolutely love it. I wear the rubber for sport and metal for dress. Wicked curious to see the new pieces.

#55 ·
I'm in love. The updates are all perfect. Hands and markers, perfect. I've been burned out on the hands for a while. This is perfect.

I'll be buying another black dial/ orange when they come out.

Best news I've read on here in a long time.

I hope they fix the hands on the ProDiver, too!

#56 ·
Really happy with the updates (the leather straps look a bit awkward tho imo). Always liked the 42mm Aquis but the bracelet has always been to thick for my preferences.

I've got my eye on the 42mm blue sunray dial on bracelet. Wouldn't mind the new blue/purple rubber strap also, wonder if the old giant clasp as been refined too.

#57 ·
I have the model right before this. Will I be able to fit the new straps on to my model? The blue rubber strap looks cool, and the leather could be a nice change up. I always loved the bracelet on this watch but sometimes I would like to switch it up, and have more options than just my bracelet. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.