Steel Bracelet on Aquis Titan Titanium - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Steel Bracelet on Aquis Titan Titanium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Steel Bracelet on Aquis Titan Titanium

Did you end up selling the bracelet? I am looking for one for my T1

Still working on it. Decided that it makes more sense to have titanium all around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

mitchjrj...just sent you an PM.

Having decided I want to keep it reals and have titanium across the board, does anyone have a line on reputable places to buy Oris accessories/Titan titanium bracelet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Having just ordered and received the titanium bracelet for the Aquis Titan Titanium thought I would resurrect this thread and post comparative photos. Really wanted to have the complete kit with this watch, and while the steel worked well enough I always felt it too heavy, moreso than I recall when trying on the watch in all titanium. And while the steel bracelet matched close enough tonally it wasn't exact.

As you can see in these photos the difference is pretty dramatic when you put them side-by-side. In real life it's not as obvious on the polished sections, but very much so where brushed.

Name:  oris_aquis-bracelets-01.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  oris_aquis-bracelets-02.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  107.1 KB

The other big difference is in the way they feel. Titanium has a very unique tactility to it, feels much more exotic than steel, warmer. It's hard to describe. But when considering the tone, the feel, and machining and the overall execution this is really quite a remarkable bracelet.

As for weight differences...

Steel: 100g/3.5oz
    Titanium: 60g/2.1oz

These are based on the sized bracelets, with two full-size and one half link removed. The titanium bracelet with all links, stock, is 69g or 2.4oz.

When installed the total sized watch weights are:

On Steel: 220g/7.8oz
    On Titanium: 180g/6.3oz

That difference of 40g or 1.5oz (allowing for precision differences compared to just bracelet weights above) may not sound like much on paper (that's about the same as 8 nickels apparently), but in the hand and on the wrist it makes a surprisingly big difference. Typing with it on now I can't even feel it's there. I had wondered if the head would feel unbalanced but it doesn't at all.

I had originally hoped to get away with sharing a single bracelet between my Aquis Date and Titan Titanium Chrono, but I'm glad I went the distance with the real deal. It makes for a much more complete and comfortable (and, frankly, quite amazing) watch.

For reference purposes the official Oris part number for the titanium bracelet is 07 8 26 75PEB.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

You can get away with a metal bracelet on a titanium case .. shown here ... hard to distinguish the difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjule111 View Post
    You can get away with a metal bracelet on a titanium case .. shown here ... hard to distinguish the difference

You definitely can, and I did and shown earlier in post. On the watch you don't immediately see the tonal difference. And without comparison you don't appreciate the weight difference. But if you can swing it there are definite advantages to the Ti bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Yeah true..

that watch looks like a real beast! Does it wear like one every day? or do you get use to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffio View Post
    that watch looks like a real beast! Does it wear like one every day? or do you get use to it?
    Yes. ;)

Wrist shots always exaggerate the size of a watch because they're usually taken with a wide angle lens. But the Aquis case wears so well because of the broad, short, curved lugs, the curved/bowl shaped case edge, and the curved/recessed back. So even though the diameter spec is 46mm it wears more inline with 44/45mm. Not small, but not insane even on my 7" wrist. The lugs are well contained within the edges. And because it's all gray/silver it doesn't jump out like a black dial/bezel would.

What is inescapable is the thickness at just south of 19mm. It really comes off the wrist. In the context of a dive environment, around a wet/dry suit, alongside other instruments, neither of these dimensions are unruly. But as a desk diver you are full aware of it. BTW, this is about the same thickness as a Planet Ocean Chrono.

All that aside because it is titanium you definitely get used to it, it's comfortable and not inordinately heavy (actually surprisingly let when you first grab it, you're expecting way more heft.) By way of comparison, the Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Steel/Black weigh in at 160g with the rubber strap and deployant (I make this reference only because I happen to know the weight off hand.) Despite the Titan being a) larger, b) thicker, c) equipped with a metal bracelet, and d) has a Valjoux 7750 Chrono under the hood rather than a simple three-hander it's still only 20g heavier. I have never tried the steel version of the Titan Chrono but expect that it would be unwearable for me because of the added weight (whatever that is - look how much more the bracelet alone weighs.)

So yes it's big, it wears big (but not as big as specs would suggest) and you get used to it. It's the thickness that is toughest to come to grips with. I'd love for it to be 2-3mm thinner. I think that probably could have been achieved while preserving the 500m WR. I wouldn't change the diameter, though, not even a hair. That extra real estate allows for an exceptionally readable and well laid out dial.
    Bigjule111 likes this.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information