Thread: Review: Timex T2G181 Perpetual Calendar

Review: Timex T2G181 Perpetual Calendar

Watch: Timex T2G181
    Functions: Perpetual Calendar of Day & Date, Indiglo, WR100m
    Mov't: Quartz
    Size: 40mm x 10mm (round)

Background:
    Needed a new watch to replace my faulting (probably dirty) 7 year old, Timex Chronograph Quartz. Perpetual calendar was a must (tired of changing the date on short months). Night readability also desired (newborn child). Wanted an automatic, still do, but was happy to find this nicely-styled, functional, affordable watch. Inexpensive enough that I could still buy a "fancy automatic" later if desired (and I am still looking for a nicer watch). I think it is a model from 2006 or 2007. Retails for about $75, bought used at auction in like-new-condition for $30, glass was scrathed in shipping, $15 in hand. Have had the watch for about 3-4 months.

The Good:
    I am extremely fond of the spacious, simple, black and white face. I like the styling better than the 2008 models of the same line (the calendar lettering also comes in different sizes and orientation). Case dimensions are quite nice for me at 40x10mm (wrist is 7.8 inches), and is wider than my previous watch (Timex Chrono 38mm) so it looks more modern (it appers that larger is the fad.) The Indiglo feature is awesome (illuminates to a nice blue/green when crown is pushed.) Ultra-readable at night, in fact, the Indiglo is so bright that it can be used a flashlight at close range (have a newborn so this function is very useful.) Perpetual Calendar is great and day expression is nice - as I am off Sun/Mon and can occasionaly mix up my "weekend" days. WR 100m - good enough for the occasional shower or car wash. A small push crown. Why is having a small push crown a benefit? In this case, the push crown is used to activate the night light, and having only one crown keeps the styling intact. The crown's small size keeps it from being pulled accidently and almost hides itself; but when pulled out it supplies very solid clicks to quick set the electronically-controlled calendar or set the time (hackable.) Accuracy after about 3-4 months is +7 seconds. Price (it's a Timex).

Nuetral:
    Band is a black, padded "genuiune leather" band, with white stitching and standard tang clasp (tang & clasp are polished to match the casing). Band matches the watch design perfectly. However, although still intact, the leather past the tang point is wearing (thinning/creasing) faster than expected, with the visible portion of the band still looking a shiny deep black. The casing is highly polished (or enameled/coated?), and contributes to a dressier feel for the watch. On the pressure case back, only the case back is mentioned to be s.s., but I imagine the casing is also stainless steel. The polished finish, while yet unscratched on the case and looks good there, is also used to outline the hands and the hour markers - where it doesn't look so good. Battery life is claimed at 7 years. The dial or face although slightly not true black (because of Indiglo function) is dark enough and unnoticeable. Glass does not show any scratches from my daily use of it.

Bad:
    The orange second hand. The rest of the watch is a stylish black and white - so why orange? Also, I love the clean wide face (no bezel), and the long slender second hand, but the second hand twitches when it moves and is quite "loud." Perhaps it is too long; or rather, as a battery saving function, it's movement is not strictly controlled. This is a functional and fairly stylish watch, meant to be glanced at and easily read (which it is - at any time day or night with the date always correct) and NOT a watch to be stared at and admired. I mentioned the hour and minute hands above; their being outlined in polished steel catches the light and matches the case, but ultimately makes them rather cheap looking. Additionaly, they have no style. They are plain old rectangles, filled with a glowing agent. I'd rather that they were hollowed or styled or painted. The watch has Indiglo so there is no point for flourescent material on the hands!! Honestly, I do like the overall styling of the watch very much, but it seems like the designers gave up once the dial was dialed in; and threw up there hands when it came time to design the hands. (Sorry for those final puns, couldn't resist.)

Conclusion:
    It's a value watch. Accurate (time and calendar), Readable (large face and Indiglo), Affordable. Thus it fulfills the needs for a value watch.

Would I buy it again? No I wouldn't, especially not at retail. (But am satisfied to have bought the watch at discount - it is very functional) Like I said before, the overall styling and funtionality is great (a TEN, if you will), but the hands' (lack of) design and the second hand's "tickyness" (noise and twitch factor) definitely let me down when I stare at the watch longer than to check the time or date.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Update: I almost never wear this watch and it is now used as a clock in my room. The watch face is so large and readable it functions great as a clock. And because of the perpetual day and date function I hang it next to the calendar. It has found a home!
    Last edited by th3_mo3bius; November 4th, 2009 at 15:17. Reason: Update
    "Cup of the ol' chai, sir?
    "No time, no time, yes. Sit, sit,sit."

Re: Review: Timex T2G181 Perpetual Calendar

Nice review. Welcome to the Affordables Forum at WUS
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Oh, Hello Robert. Thanks, for the warm welcome. I thought I would give a little before I took a little; as in giving a review and adding to the compendium of watch knowledge that WUS has to offer before posting one of those "which watch is better (help me decide)" kinda posts. but actually, after months of lurking, researching, and browsing; i think i've finally decided on my next watch. pics and reviews to come in a couple of weeks...
    "Cup of the ol' chai, sir?
    "No time, no time, yes. Sit, sit,sit."

Hi, I am a regular here but I guess this is my first post, mostly because I don't feel my collection of Fossils, TXs, Invictas and Casios are worthy of a contribution on these forums. I have been looking for this watch to be my beater. It is large and readable looks good to me. I couldn't find it on sale anywhere. Don't they sell it anymore? It seems like you don't use it much, will you be willing to part with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bijeet View Post
    Hi, I am a regular here but I guess this is my first post, mostly because I don't feel my collection of Fossils, TXs, Invictas and Casios are worthy of a contribution on these forums. I have been looking for this watch to be my beater. It is large and readable looks good to me. I couldn't find it on sale anywhere. Don't they sell it anymore? It seems like you don't use it much, will you be willing to part with it?
    Hello Bijeet and welcome to WUS Affordables
    Any brand watch goes in this forum, you'll find quite a few Invicta, Casio, Fossil and Timex fans here. TX is Timex' high end brand BTW

Please feel free to participate, and if you are interested in purchasing a watch, I recommend you place a wanted to buy ad in the sales forums, there is a specific WTB area.

Sincerely,
    Griff

Thread Information