WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Advise on first few nice pen (rollerball only).

4K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  luth_ukail 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have few rollerball pens that i plan to buy for my self, a gift to my wife and also at the same time a gift to my younger brother whom has just started his college studies. The problem is, i have never heard of these brand and would like to know what is your opinion towards it.

For my self : Cross Century II Sterling Silver - i saw their website, and claim it to be a future heirloom (lol). anyway i like the design and the size is just nice for me and would love to keep it for a very long time.
Wifey : Coles Casimir Pearl Band - the mother of pearl and chrome finish is what attracts me. my wife really likes stuff with pearls.
Younger Bro : Coles Approach Shiny Chrome - fits a student and it's kinda cheap.

You'll notice the huge price difference between my pen and the other two. Well, my wife don't really need one. But i thought of just giving it as something that fits an elegant lady with a remarkable career. And for my younger bro, nobody spend a dime for college starters right? LOL. Anyway, i would love your humble opinion towards the pens that i chose and if there are any better pen that i could get ( at the same price point) that you guys could suggest, i will consider them.

ps: done my search on this forum... it seems the two brands on the specific models are lacking on info... esp Coles. I also have read the review's of buyer in the penheaven.co.uk but somehow their review is just not... detailed enough.

Thanks for your time and cheers~

See less See more
#2 ·
This may come off as pretentious, but at that price point, you should buy whatever design you think your family will appreciate.

I say that not be be rude but because it makes no difference how they write. Those Coles pens use standard Parker refills which means you're literally paying for a metal shell.

If you were asking about fountain pens, it would be a different story. With respect to rollerballs, it really doesn't make much difference unless your price point is beyond $500. At that point, the discussion turns to their value as a collectable.

Short answer: buy what you think is "prettiest" because if they don't write well, you can buy refills from just about any office supply store.

#3 ·
I see. I understand what you are trying to say. A rollerball pen is the equal thought of a fashion watch if I may compare to that, as the watch calibre only uses ETA or Valjoux despite it is price Usd5000 and above. If you're saying a rollerball only worth it if it's Usd500 and above, do you have any brand that could be bought off at the price point of between Usd100-200 and worth it? I am still learning about the writing instrument hehe :)

#8 ·
Most welcome. There is quite a lot of cross-pollination between FP and mechanical watch hobbies. I am over on FPN as well and have been collecting for years.

If you are interested in Sheaffer/Parker, check out their older or New Old Stock stuff. They have factories all over the world now that make the same models to varying degrees of mostly poor quality, whereas the vintage stuff is top notch. The cheaper models, in particular, are not up to snuff. I bought an NOS Parker Jotter ballpoint with brass threads, made in the US, and the balance, fit and finish just blow current Jotters out of the water.

This is also why I suggested F-C. Even the Loom collection is made in Germany, and the quality is rock-solid. They feel great in hand. Of course, their designs are more contemporary.

#9 ·
Thanks again blackdot. Certainly, this help me alot in gaining knowledge of the brand. I did not know NOS was quite still in the market. If the NOD best the current market, then i have a slight of a dissapointment with my 300.

U make an excellent recommendation. I will buy thus for my bro instead. Since he is taking an engineer course, the contemporary style fits him well. Ofcourse,we all know Rotring is the best pair for such people.

Anyway, i have received the pen just yesterday in the morning. And since then i have been writing with it extensively following my daily routine. Ofcourse, despite the great expectation, there are shortcoming as well...

It comes with a outer thin layer box. Inside is the trademark of the universal Sheaffer black box.

Attachments

Reactions: blackdot
#10 ·
And here is the Pen inside the case.
I've placed an extra ink in the order.
The pen feel quite hefty. It certainly as heavy as my Motorola G.

Attachments

#12 ·
The writing is amazing. Smooth but i notice it can't write well on a not-so-solid ground ( an organizer on my lap). The ink spreads out evenly on normal usage. This size definitely design for Signature. Although i say it is smooth, the Pilot G2 ink is much better. Haha.

Attachments

#13 ·
The quality of the body and the cap is amazing. For a writing instrument below 40usd ( pengallery.com), the pen feels solid. And the clip is a full retractable mechanism that can slide in your pocket without much of a force. It feels just nice.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
I can say i am very satisfied with my first fine pen purchase. The reason i chose the Sheaffer 300 is because of the look ( cigar) , quality is there ( not the inner part of the nib though) and lastly because of their trademark of the logo the White Dot. In this case, it can be easily recognize.

The negative point however is, i feel the medium ink is too big for normal note jotting. Certainly i can live with it but if i want to permanently change the ink size, i'll go for finer size.

Reactions: RNHC and blackdot
#24 · (Edited)
The general opinion on FPN over the years that I have spent there is not that MB is poor, but that MB is overpriced, pretentious and has been diluted as a brand. The debate isn't about quality; it is about value, image and branding. Let's take them in turn.

1. Whether MB is overpriced involves value judgment, which only you can make. It is not that much more than Pelikan, yet it maintains a worldwide network of boutiques.

2. MB may come across as pretentious, sure, but so do most luxury brands. This is usually a criticism made by people who claim to be low-profile, down-to-earth and so on. In response, MB users usually claim to be less bothered with people's perception than their own enjoyment. Thus, the debate rages on.

3. MB's brand as a pen maker has been diluted. This is a criticism lobbed by both pro-MB and anti-MB FPN camps. MB has branched out into fine leather goods, jewelry, perfume and now watches...... all while maintaining the quality of their writing instruments, an impressive feat, if you ask me.

If a brand is so high profile and so successful, there will always be debate. It will always be targeted and discussed. It does not mean anything is wrong, and even if something is "wrong" with its image, it does not mean anything is wrong with the product.

I would skip the Starwalker line and go straight for a Meisterstuck. Buy from AD or preowned, even though your budget is enough for a RB or BP at the boutique.

#26 · (Edited)
The general opinion on FPN over the years that I have spent there is not that MB is poor, but that MB is overpriced, pretentious and has been diluted as a brand. The debate isn't about quality; it is about value, image and branding. Let's take them in turn.

1. Whether MB is overpriced involves value judgment, which only you can make. It is not that much more than Pelikan, yet it maintains a worldwide network of boutiques.

2. MB may come across as pretentious, sure, but so do most luxury brands. This is usually a criticism made by people who claim to be low-profile, down-to-earth and so on. In response, MB users usually claim to be less bothered with people's perception than their own enjoyment. Thus, the debate rages on.

3. MB's brand as a pen maker has been diluted. This is a criticism lobbed by both pro-MB and anti-MB FPN camps. MB has branched out into fine leather goods, jewelry, perfume and now watches...... all while maintaining the quality of their writing instruments, an impressive feat, if you ask me.

If a brand is so high profile and so successful, there will always be debate. It will always be targeted and discussed. It does not mean anything is wrong, and even if something is "wrong" with its image, it does not mean anything is wrong with the product.

I would skip the Starwalker line and go straight for a Meisterstuck. Buy from AD or preowned, even though your budget is enough for a RB or BP at the boutique.
That kinda sums all of the debate. In the end , it simply boils down to what we really like. To even compare, i prefer the MB over S.T. Dupont. It is simply because of the brand perception before and to add all in with the debates in FPN, i'm sure there are no right or wrong when it come to choices. It just that there will always be somebody or someone that starts the nitpicking. just like Rol Vs GS. Well anyway, the info here sure adds my interest towards Montblanc fine instrument. And im pretty sure im getting one MB later. Since you recommend the Meisterstuck, will it be too much if i go for the Solitaire Duoe Classique 163 Geometric? What are the chances that i might have a better looking pen in let say 2 decades compare to the Le Grand?

Just to add - in response to your comment about MB being a German brand but known by the whole pen market, Germany and Japan lead all FPN polls as the countries that make the best pens. While Japan boasts a high number of brands, especially artisan brands, Germany is dominated by MB and Pelikan. I do not think Pelikan is responsible for Germany's landslide victory.
I see. Thanks for the info. Surely it is nice to have one atleast of the nicest pen earth could offer. haha.

#25 ·
Just to add - in response to your comment about MB being a German brand but known by the whole pen market, Germany and Japan lead all FPN polls as the countries that make the best pens. While Japan boasts a high number of brands, especially artisan brands, Germany is dominated by MB and Pelikan. I do not think Pelikan is responsible for Germany's landslide victory.

#30 ·
While I understand that initial price is a concern, remember that Total Cost of Ownership is more important.

I don't buy pens that currently retail for $200 or less for a reason. It's not because they're somehow inferior, but because they're expensive to own.

1.) If the pen needed a repair, I'd have to have it fixed very cheap. A $50 repair might be worth considering, but if it ventured beyond $100 I'd probably throw the pen in the trash.
2.) If I ever went to sell the pen, I'd probably get around 50% market value. I'd be lucky if I got anywhere close to 75%. However, shipping costs and other fees would take a large chunk out of that value too.

With those in mind, I suddenly have a pen that cannot break or it goes in the trash. Even if it doesn't break, it's value depreciates 40-60% as soon as I hold it in my hand. To me, that's a bad combination.

Now, if I buy a $500 Montblanc pen, I still have the same worry of needing repairs, but the cost is numerically the same. $100 to fix a $500 isn't fun, but it's not unreasonable. However, I still have the same issue of depreciation immediately after I use the pen.

At this point it needs to be noted: I've never spent a dime in a Montblanc boutique even though I'm an avid collector.

I like to buy from people that received their Montblanc pens as gifts. To many of these people, the pen is only worth a fraction of the retail value. I've spent enough time educating myself that I know how to spot fakes and that knowledge has saved me thousands of dollars.

The end result is getting the pen I want that in many cases is brand new. I pay fair market value or less which means that I only have to worry about repairs.

Bottom line:
1.) A new $200 pen will cost you roughly $100 to own and has little chance of appreciating in value as a collectible.
2.) A new $500 pen will cost you $250 to own, but the collectible value has a strong chance of making that figure smaller
3.) A used $250 pen is still used. But the cost of ownership is minimal and in many cases can end up MAKING you money.

Just my thoughts and a bit more insight to my thought process in buying pens. I was able to build a very respectable pen collection on a very limited budget (at the time) and I'm very happy with the pens I own.

#33 ·
Guys, my Cross Classic Century 10kt GF is on its way now from Pengallery. Will let you all know when the pen arrive with pictures..

Im so excited! haha

Vkalia, I have plenty of respects towards the watch brand Tudor. I guess Pelikan is a keeper afterall. :D

#35 · (Edited)
Well, this was wierd. place an order to Pengallery on 1st jan, and until today still Awaiting for Fulfillment.

Then i gave a call to Pengallery adn spoke to one of the customer service (a woman). Gave my order no ( while she check). Then, she spontanously says ( on the background ), 'omg you haven't click?, can you speak to him'? ( referring to the manager i guess ).

He then speaks to me and explain that it was new year.

i order the pen on 1st Jan ( public holiday ). I still have 2nd Jan (friday business day) before it came to 5th Jan that i called them.

Now, i may sound like i want to lodge a complaint, but i forgave them and they promised the item will arrive tomorrow (6th) in the morning as POSLAJU will only come and pick up the item at 3pm. Like my Sheaffer, i ordered it on Sunday (holiday) and it arrive on 2nd day of business day. So the Pen rightfully, should have arrive this morning.

But, i wanna say this. Please do not laugh at customer complaint. they were lucky i did not cancel the order.

so anyway, let's wait for tomorrow for the pen to arrive. :D

#36 ·
It's unfortunate that you are unhappy, but I'm curious to know WHY you're unhappy. It seems you had expectations completely different than the estimates the company provides.

On their website they specifically state "We ship most of our products within 3 working days."

If I'm understanding you correctly, you called them to complain on the second working day (January 1st, 3rd, and 4th were not working days).

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion and I have no right to tell you how to feel.

With that said, it sounds to me like PenGallery not only met their 3 business day estimate....they exceeded it by shipping it in two and it (potentially) arriving to you within three.

Pretty excellent service if you ask me, but hey, that's my opinion.

#37 ·
Well, my expectation to them was delivery of the package to arrive on the second working day, despite this exceed what they have listed. Anyway, it is understandable that holidays will slow down the process. But, as i have mentioned, supposedly the status of the pen is change within 1 working day. In my case, it was not even 'click' on the second working day with the status of 'awaiting fullfilment'. And that, alone already make me feel unhappy.

Well anyway, i got the pen already :D

And i notice some rough edges on the clip. Not that im complaining.

The ink surprise me. Its just a normal refill that cross offer. But because its a ballpoint, that's all i could say. Haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Here it is compare to my Sheaffer 300

And an unknown pen from Marina Bay Sand, SG during my stay there

The pen surprisingly feels very solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.