Is this broken Mont Blanc repairable?

Thread: Is this broken Mont Blanc repairable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this broken Mont Blanc repairable?

I've come across a broken MB (exact model yet to be established) offered for sale on a well known auction site for 'parts or repair'. The barrel has an almost clean, diagonal break near the end. Does anyone know if this is repairable or would a whole new part be required.

Assuming it is repairable, I'll assume it'll have to go off to MB via my local authorised dealer, but does anyone have any clue as to a likely cost for such a repair?

Assuming it is not repairable, does anyone know where to source a replacement barrel and again, likely costs (local dealer again?)?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Current Pieces:
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.51 (Black Bezel/Orange Nos)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 'Electric Blue' 2055.80
    Seiko Orange Monster
    CWC British Army 1997 issue 'G10'
    Garmin Forerunner 405

The nice ones that came and went:
    Omega WWW CK2444
    Ollech & Wajs ID-3077 (Orange)
    Suunto Vector (Yellow, +ive face)
    Suunto Core (Black/Orange)

Re: Is this broken Mont Blanc repairable?

Mont Blanc repaired a ballpoint pen for me that was broken like the picture. It came back good as new. At the time, mid 90's, they did not charge me for the repair. I think the repair center was in New York or New Jersey. Your best bet is to call them direct. Good luck.

That FP is a MB 144, now replaced by MB 145.

The 144 uses a push cap while 145 has a threaded cap. That 144 is now a vintage.

The barrel is broken, no doubt about it.

Call your nearest Montblanc service center about any possible charge for the replacement of the barrel. It is possible to replace the barrel alone. Montblanc has spare parts.

It is true that Montblanc once replaced damaged parts for free; but I heard it is now charging for parts.

I once too broke my MB. Dropped it on a ceramic tile floor...right on the end and broke. Sent it off and it was repaired free of charge. I even told them that I dropped it, but it still came back fixed for free. It was a wedding gift from my wife, so I felt horrible. I am glad they fixed it.

I *think* MB will fix anything except the nib for a flat $70. That is probably only true if they still have the parts to repair this pen, though. They replaced a broken cap and feed on my 149 a few weeks ago, and they charged the flat $70 fee.

Quote Originally Posted by LeverTime View Post
    ... They replaced a broken cap and feed on my 149 a few weeks ago, and they charged the flat $70 fee.
    I believe your experience provides an indication to the likely amount that MB will charge. It is unlikely to be too far off; afterall, your 149 is a more costly pen than the 144.

Quote Originally Posted by LeverTime View Post
    I *think* MB will fix anything except the nib for a flat $70. That is probably only true if they still have the parts to repair this pen, though. They replaced a broken cap and feed on my 149 a few weeks ago, and they charged the flat $70 fee.
    I believe you are correct, my local MB dealer was telling me on Wednesday that MB now do 'fixed rate' repairs. IIRC she quoted me 57 for a service regardless of the type of pen, however a replacement nib would be 150. We both remarked how at worst, MB would charge little more than 200 to fully restore a damaged pen that could likely be picked up on ebay for 50, hence my interest in the damaged one in this thread, which would appear not to need the expensive replacement nib.
    Current Pieces:
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.51 (Black Bezel/Orange Nos)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 'Electric Blue' 2055.80
    Seiko Orange Monster
    CWC British Army 1997 issue 'G10'
    Garmin Forerunner 405

The nice ones that came and went:
    Omega WWW CK2444
    Ollech & Wajs ID-3077 (Orange)
    Suunto Vector (Yellow, +ive face)
    Suunto Core (Black/Orange)

I worked for Mont Blanc Boston in 2005-2006, we always had charged for repairs then. Although I had some discretion based on the client.

Quote Originally Posted by CyBuzz View Post
    I once too broke my MB. Dropped it on a ceramic tile floor...right on the end and broke....
    You are not alone. Another owner broke her MB (a ballpoint), also a gift, by merely dropping it:
    http://www.penreview.com/penreview/m...tuck_classique

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Chin View Post
    You are not alone. Another owner broke her MB (a ballpoint), also a gift, by merely dropping it:
    http://www.penreview.com/penreview/m...tuck_classique

It is no news flash that MB use a brittle resin. Also they are not designed to be dropped onto hard surfaces, if one is inclined to drop pens then a cheepo bic is the pen for the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information