Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to spot a Real MontBlanc vs. a Fake?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

How to spot a Real MontBlanc vs. a Fake?

Hello Everybody,

Just wanted to ask your help concerning something to which i'm a complete ignorant. I've never owned a MB but always wanted one because I like how they looked ;) anyway, this christmas a supplier of mine gave me a gift and as I opened I was shocked to find out it was a MB! When I opened the box I felt a very 'light' pen, and the mont blanc engraving on the top part is not as clear as I thought one would be..
    Anyway, are there any details all MB pens have that assures the user that it is original? What should I look for in the pen that proves if it is original or a fake ???

Thanks for your help!!
    Live life to the fullest.. remember, every second counts!!!!

Collection:
    Ω Seamaster Bond 2541.80 | Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAN2110 | Tissot Seastar 660 Chrono
    | Hamilton Khaki E.T.O. | Casio G-Shock DW6900

Re: How to spot a Real MontBlanc vs. a Fake?

Hey AFC,

There are several ways to tell whether a MB is fake or not. It depends on several things...I'll try cover them here...

1. What is the pen?

Fountain pens are lighter than ballpoint or rollerball pens. So if it's a fountain pen, it'll naturally feel quite light.

2. Check the underside of the clip. There should be a tiny word 'PIX' there. Yes? = Real.

3. Hold the pen up to the light (if fountain pen) and disassemble it completely. Check the light through the plastic (it should be slightly translucent). If the plastic glows red from the light...Real.

4. If it's a fountain pen, hold a magnet to the nib. Real MB fountain pen nibs are 14kt gold, and should be nonresponsive. A fake nib, possibly made of steel, may react to the magnet and the pen might roll towards it. If it does, it's fake.

5. Check that the star on the cap/barrel end is clear and regularly sized and shaped. Not too small, not too large. If the star looks off-center, it's a fake.

6. Check the nib (if fountain) for: "14kt" or "18kt" (depending on pen), and 'MB' or the Montblanc star. Any pen with "Iridium Point Germany" or "IPG" indicates a fake pen. Also, under a strong magnifier, examine all markings on the nib and cap. These are usually machine-pressed into the nib and cap-bands when the pen is made. If the markings are rough or anything but perfectly smooth, then it's probably an indication of engraving, which Montblanc doesn't do. Meaning? Fake.

7. Check the patterning on the nib. It should be spread out equally over the two tines (halves) of the nib, with the nib-slit dividing the decorations neatly down the middle. If the markings are off-center on the nib (ie - more on one side than the other), then it's a fake.

8. With a magnifying glass or a loupe, check the clip-ring (the ring at the top of the pocket-clip). On one side of the clip in the ring, should be 'MONTBLANC'. On the other side, should be a small, serial number, marked out in digital numerals. All authentic Montblanc pens (made recently, that is), have this marking.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Hey AFC,

There are several ways to tell whether a MB is fake or not. It depends on several things...I'll try cover them here...

2. Check the underside of the clip. There should be a tiny word 'PIX' there. Yes? = Real.

8. With a magnifying glass or a loupe, check the clip-ring (the ring at the top of the pocket-clip). On one side of the clip in the ring, should be 'MONTBLANC'. On the other side, should be a small, serial number, marked out in digital numerals. All authentic Montblanc pens (made recently, that is), have this marking.
    On number 2: I think it will also say Made in Germany and then PIX.

On number 8: It may just have the serial number....I have a generations with just serial number.

Best,
    JW
    Rolex, Omega, JLC, B&M

Quote Originally Posted by VetteBandit View Post
    On number 2: I think it will also say Made in Germany and then PIX.
    Just checked my Starwalker and it has this. I never bothered to look under the clip. I never questioned the authenticity either as I was with my wife when she picked it up from the AD.

Thanks Guys!!!

Thanks. I've had my Mont Blanc generation for 1.5 yrs and only now did I realize that under the clip it says "Made in Germany (PIX??)". Also, does the Mont Blanc have a "wave" of sorts like this:

here's a hi res of the wave I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/eKY7b.jpg

here is the serial part to look for:

hi res: http://imgur.com/MRygQ.jpg

I did not know they "knocked off" Montblanc pens,I have a 20 year old Meisterstuck, back then it was about 100.00 at the local stationery store(not Office Max or the other BIG stores)a real stationery store!!!!..

If you want to make sure you're getting a real MB then buy a 146 or 149 fountain pen. I've not come across any fakes of those two models.

Some of these tips only apply to modern pens. Authentic vintage MBs may not have Pix under the clip, serial numbers, or "Germany." Also, MB has made steel nib pens, although if the nib says that it's 14k or 18k, it should not be attracted to a magnet. If you are interested in learning more about vintage MBs, this is a decent resource. Not comprehensive, but I've not found anything better online. (I have no affiliation with that website.)

The general consensus seems to be that piston-filling pens are too hard to counterfeit profitably, and that any piston-filling MB is probably genuine.

If you post some photos here, or at Fountain Pen Network, it would help people guess at the authenticity of your pen.

hello everybody, my friend just gave me these pens and i wanted to know if the are authentic MB pens:
    Name:  IMG_0325.JPG
Views: 23815
Size:  235.8 KBName:  IMG_0328.JPG
Views: 21106
Size:  231.4 KB Name:  IMG_0329.JPG
Views: 20875
Size:  238.4 KBName:  IMG_0327.JPG
Views: 20632
Size:  194.7 KBName:  1148814_10201766225140193_1693427680_n.jpg
Views: 20574
Size:  134.8 KB

Every single one is fake.

EDIT- For reasoning

Picture 1- Starwalker Doue and Starwalker Midnight Black replicas
    -Serial number is in wrong spot on both pens
    -Pattern is wrong on the replica of the Starwalker Doue
    -Clips have a hollow cavity back which is incorrect

Picture 2- A pathetic attempt at replicating the Agatha Christie Limited Edition Ballpoint
    -Where do I start? LOL

Picture 3-A replica of the Boheme ballpoint
    -A clear/crystal stone version of the precious resin Boheme does not exist to my knowledge.

Picture 4- A pathetic attempt at replicating the Agatha Christie Limited Edition Ballpoint
    -I'm not going to waste my time telling you why they're replicas. They're so horrible it's not even funny

Picture 5-A replica of the Meisterstuck 164 platinum trip ballpoint
    -Tapered clip is incorrect
    -Trim ring is incorrect
    -Top cap and upper barrel are not flush with each other
    Last edited by Therightadvisor; August 8th, 2013 at 23:07.
    Snoweagle likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information