Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Hello, I'm just looking for your opinion ms on Mont Blanc pens and if they are the best out there.

Thanks

Re: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

oThe best out there? Not by a long shot. The "Best" is different for every pen owner and there are some custom pen makers that also have "Best" pens.
    If you're confusing price with "Best" you're off course.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcm123 View Post
    Hello, I'm just looking for your opinion ms on Mont Blanc pens and if they are the best out there.

Thanks
    Lee Rappeport

Hidden Content

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko Sun045 50th Anniversary Kinetic, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

No, not the best. Most readily recognized? Likely. Clearest status symbol? YES.

Just staying in standard production, I'll put Omas and Pelikan over MB. (And I have all 3.) The Pilot Custom line, in the higher numbered (and somewhat more expensive) models generally, offer a nice selection of nib styles; my Custom 912 has a Falcon nib. That's not to be confused with my Pilot-Namiki Falcon pens...the nib on these is completely different from the falcon nib they offer on some other models. Ah, the joys of marketing.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

jar

I would place Montblanc within the upper tier makers and maybe among the best but when I started reducing my accumulation the Montblanc pens were the easiest to let go of with no regrets.

What I doubt I would let go of would be my Sailor King of Pen models, any of my Nakaya, Danitrio or Eboya pens, any of my Sheaffer Stub nib pens, my Platinum Izumo pens, likely even my Pilot 845 (it's really starting to grow on me).
    Signature deleted by mod due to rules violation but no one ever said what the violation was.

I started reducing my higher end pens, and the one I kept was my Meisterstuck 149. I picked it up for $50 at a consignment shop, so it's hard to get rid of. That being said, my Pelikan M805 had a smoother nib. It's a great pen, no mistake, but there are a lot of great pens at that level.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Alexcm123,

Montblanc pens are a little like Rolex watches: brands which are almost universally recognized as expensive, and as a result, a large proportion of people think they're the best, and the most expensive. That explains why there are so many counterfeit Montblanc pens and Rolex watches.

Like our fellow correspondents said, there are whole worlds beyond Montblanc and Rolex in their own respective areas. I feel sure that a Rolex owner might look down the whole length of his nose at, say, a Lange & Sohn saying it must be a crappy cheap watch because he hasn't heard of the brand, same goes for Montblanc as well. I still remember the time when Montblanc pens were not known to be something at all special and I bought a fair few from a department store when at high school, with my very limited budget! But they sure did a good job building up the brand and now they are no longer a pen builder, but more like a "luxury goods brand" - and got kicked out of at least one department store chain for refusing to sell their pens at their stationary department.

So, to answer your original question: Montblanc pens are now geared towards the collector market; while all of them are decent writers, their cost/performance ratio is not the best. Sure enough if you want the brand, purchase one and be happy with it. But if you want "the best" in quality and willing to pay (where the sky is the limit) there are options, and in case you want comparable or better performance regardless of the label, there are options as well.

Hope this is of some help.
    huntflyer likes this.

Ditto to many of the comments - Mont Blanc pens are fine writing instruments. I own a ton of pens, some fountain, some rollerball. MB is, by far, the most recognizable. With that said, Mont Blanc has some more limited editions that are exceptionally nice pens, but for serious $.

The nicest pen for the money that I own are Waterford. Check them out if you're willing to consider another brand. Exceptional quality for <$200.

jar

A thread without PRON is worthless.

chuasam likes this.
    Signature deleted by mod due to rules violation but no one ever said what the violation was.

To answer OP's initial question:
    Are Montblanc pens everything people say they are?

The answer is, yes. People say they are brilliant writers, they are. People say they are overpriced, they are. People say they are more status symbol than pen, they are.

Now, to expound on this:
    Montblanc pens occupy the high-end of the fountain pen hobby. That means they do not bother making inexpensive pens anymore. A company like Pelikan or Pilot or Sailor will happily sell a thousand-dollar pen next to a twenty-dollar pen, and that's great for them. Montblanc chooses not to.

Do Montblanc pens write well? Of course. Every pen above a certain price point writes well, and if it doesn't write exactly as you want it to, the company will happily adjust the pen until it does.

At the end of the day, you decide if, personally, you want this pen and if its price is commensurate to the value you place on ownership.

If you want a Montblanc and decide your want equals about 700 bucks, then check to see if you have 700 bucks free and go for it. If you want a Montblanc and tell yourself you could never pay that much for a simple pen, then you can purchase any number of other pens and rest easy knowing that you have something that writes nicely and you enjoy.
    sefrcoko and MLJinAK like this.
    Panerai | Omega | Jörg Schauer | Ennebi | G-Shock
    Do you like to have a good time? Then you need a good watch.
    - Robert "Rocky" Balboa

MB chooses not to do so because they consider themselves strictly a maker of luxury goods. They're offering Image, as much as reality, with their pens. I think their watches are more substantive nowadays, crazy as that might seem. At least the ones with Minerva movements. For whatever reason, they don't strike me as pretentious with their watches, but man oh man, are they with the pens....

And yeah, I'll take a Pilot 845 in a heartbeat, over a 146 or 149. IF I could get a red FA especially. (HAH!) Love my 912 FA.

huntflyer: try a Pilot Custom Heritage 92. I like demonstrators, but IIRC there's also a black one. About $110-120 on Amazon. No, not as nice visually...quite a few Waterfords look quite nice, with (I'd bet) stamped guilloche patterns with applied lacquer...but the business end is just OK. It's apparently a JoWo...one of the two major nib suppliers in Germany...and it's plated steel. The Pilot uses 14k gold.
    Last edited by gangrel; May 28th, 2017 at 01:24.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information