Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Montblanc pen, real or fake?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Montblanc pen, real or fake?

Other than purchasing directly from an authorized dealer or straight from the manufacturer, how can one tell the difference from a "real" Montblanc pen and a "fake"?

What are the signs to look for?

Thanks for everyones input!

Re: Montblanc pen, real or fake?

I'd advise you to search on google for "spotting mont blanc fakes."

Essentially here are the basic things:
    1.) If it looks fishy, it probably is
    2.) To my knowledge, Mont Blanc has never made a wood pen so rule those out right there
    3.) If it doesn't have a serial number and was made within the past 21 years, it's fake. Mont Blanc began putting serial numbers on their pens in 1991
    4.) If it was made after 1997, it should say "pix" underneath the clip
    5.) Although not 100%, "precious resin" pens should glow a dark red under very bright light.

When buying on ebay
    1.) Check the seller's feedback and what they've recently sold. If they're a pawn shop, usually run away fast. If they sell high end items, your chances are better
    2.) Always use paypal and learn the buyer protection

After you buy:
    Send the pen to the Mont Blanc Customer Service center in Ft Worth, TX. They will "authenticate" the pen for you for free minus the cost of shipping of course.
    Last edited by Therightadvisor; October 3rd, 2012 at 17:09.
    Kittysafe likes this.

Thanks for the advice.

Zenith Forum Moderator D N Ravenna's Avatar

Excellent response therightadvisor!
    Thanks!
    Dan

I'm glad you both appreciated the advice. I'm working on a master "how to spot a fake" post that will hopefully be stickied for people. I have bought 3 fake Mont Blancs since I began collecting. Fortunately, I received a full refund for each of them, but some people will unknowingly buy fakes and no one deserves to spend that kind of money on a pen that is neither authentic nor of good quality.

I got pretty lucky, bought a real Mont Blanc at a garage sale for a quarter about five years back, no box, but the pen was in great shape. I still use it to this day.

Well believe me I just put your advice to practice earlier today. I asked a local seller if they could provide me with the information about the Mont Blanc pen they were selling and out of the five questions I asked they avoided the most important one. Which was, show me the Serial Number of the pen. He couldn't! Gave me a story that he claims Mont Blanc didn't give everyone of their pens a serial number.
    Anyway, point being, I avoided the sale because I'm sure that it was a fake.
    Still searching.
    Last edited by Orhorolgy; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Orhorolgy View Post
    Of the five questions I asked they avoided the most important one. Which was, show me the Serial Number of the pen. He couldn't! Gave me a story that he claims Mont Blanc didn't give everyone of their pens a serial number.
    There should be a serial number engraved on the opposite side of the piston knob, also, "Montblanc" is engraved on the nib, just below the date. Kinda hidden though. I believe there is one exception, the Hemingway - the only pen I don't have so can't verify myself but others have mentioned this in other threads.
    Last edited by Kittysafe; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:12.

Great info!!

Quote Originally Posted by Orhorolgy View Post
    Well believe me I just put your advice to practice earlier today. I asked a local seller if they could provide me with the information about the Mont Blanc pen they were selling and out of the five questions I asked they avoided the most important one. Which was, show me the Serial Number of the pen. He couldn't! Gave me a story that he claims Mont Blanc didn't give everyone of their pens a serial number.
    Anyway, point being, I avoided the sale because I'm sure that it was a fake.
    Still searching.
    Was the pen older than 20 years?
    Here is some more information to add:
    1991-Mont Blanc begins putting serial numbers on their pens
    Around 1997-Began embossing the word "PIX" under the clip (I previously said 1995, which was from memory, I apologize for the misinformation).

For example:
    My Mont Blanc 244G Fountain pen was made in the early 1950s. It has no serial number and only the piston cap has identifiable marks on it.
    I also have a Mont Blanc 149 that was made in the early 1990s. It has a serial number but no "Pix" under the clip

Also, do not neccessarily assume a Mont Blanc is fake if it says "France" instead of "Germany" on it. I had 2 Bohemes that were made in France and 2 that were made in Germany. It really just depends. Now if it says CHINA....run!!!
    Kittysafe likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information