WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sheaffer Oversize Balance

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ben_hutcherson 
#1 ·
This is a family piece that nearly made it into the garbage in cleaning out my Grandmother's house. Fortunately, my mom had the foresight to save it.

The pen is currently on its way to Ron Zorn(who came highly recommended) for a sac replacement and general restoration. I know it's probably going to be the first of next year(at the earliest) before I see it again, but I'm really excited about getting this one back and using it-albeit carefully and occasionally. I dipped the nib and used it to write the enclosed repair note, so hopefully it will be an easy job to bring it back to top condition.

See less See more
#5 ·
The Sheaffer guys can date these pretty closely based on things like clip shape...as best as I can tell, I think this one dates to the early to mid 1930s. I'm working on memory, but I think that 1932-34 was the date I found based on he clip. I think the plastic is Celluloid.

The nib is not marked as to a width, but it felt like a medium with the little bit of writing I did with it. It's a 14K "Lifetime" nib. Like most of the Sheaffer lifetime nibs I've played with-both new and old-it's very firm but is also quite smooth.

Reactions: D N Ravenna
#6 ·
And, after a long wait, it's back!

And a photo of the pen's original owner-"Uncle Dan"-on the far left

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.