Apple patents self-adjusting Apple Watch bands
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fourthirteen

Thread: Apple patents self-adjusting Apple Watch bands

Apple patents self-adjusting Apple Watch bands

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/10/...ment-biometric

This feels like the kind of forward thinking that will be required of the Swiss industry if it wants to stay relevant. Apple's metal bracelets are incredible, and incredibly easy to adjust. They put almost every other watch bracelet to shame, and it was Apple's first attempt.

I still love my mechanical watches, but in the face of competition, there are places to really innovate while still keeping mechanical movements. (That said, Zenith's new Super Oscillator feels like a great step.)

Mostly I'm disappointed that no watch company thought of this.

Re: Apple patents self-adjusting Apple Watch bands

Interesting.
    The retractable lugs sound like a pretty simple concept.
    I get frustrated with metal bracelets that are adjustable in only 1-link increments (as opposed to the metal bracelets that have a fine adjustment at the clasp)...they are invariably either too tight or too loose.
    thedave likes this.

I actually very much doubt comfort is the major reason; it's a side effect. My guess is they want a proper fit for biometric purposes...think blood pressure cuff.

Also, this system requires electric power. It's not something that can be implemented on a mechanical, and it's highly likely impractical on any battery-driven quartz due to drain. That's not a serious issue on a smartwatch because it'll be recharged so often. Issue #2: what's this going to cost??? And is it going to be durable?

Finally, this looks like a very basic concept patent. There's no concrete implementation mechanism. Apple's playing CYA now, so should anything come of it, no one can try to jump in and say their idea was ripped off.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    I actually very much doubt comfort is the major reason; it's a side effect. My guess is they want a proper fit for biometric purposes...think blood pressure cuff.

Finally, this looks like a very basic concept patent. There's no concrete implementation mechanism. Apple's playing CYA now, so should anything come of it, no one can try to jump in and say their idea was ripped off.
    Good read re: biometric purposes. That's the biggest hope I have for the Apple Watch - changing the lives of diabetics, etc. Hadn't considered that.

Re: the patent, yeah, the watch industry is going to have to get used to Silicon Valley's approach to patents. I'm personally rather against idea patents for future protection/attack, but it's how the tech industry works. You don't have to invent something, just have a thought and ~$12k and you can prevent future companies from building that thing.

Didn't Speidel have this figured out ages ago? Seems like prior art. And if it doesn't rip the hair off your arm, what's the point?

Name:  Speidel-Skeleton-9.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  134.7 KB

Twist-o-flex was rather limited.

The tech industries aren't unique in using these patents; everyone does, in the US. I don't mind using them for protection; I do mind if they're wielded restrictively. But that's reality. Also, I just don't see the mechanical watch industry bothering with anything needing a motor of some type.

BTW: it's wildly unlikely diabetics will be in the target market. Yes, there are continuous glucose monitoring systems, but those are serious medical devices, and should only be treated as such. I'm not even sure you can get one without a prescription, especially as many are also used in conjunction with an insulin pump. Heart rate and possibly blood pressure...yes. Activity tracking...yes. Blood oxygen and blood sugar? Not so sure.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

In case it wasn't clear, I was joking. I hate those things.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Twist-o-flex was rather limited.

The tech industries aren't unique in using these patents; everyone does, in the US. I don't mind using them for protection; I do mind if they're wielded restrictively. But that's reality. Also, I just don't see the mechanical watch industry bothering with anything needing a motor of some type.

BTW: it's wildly unlikely diabetics will be in the target market. Yes, there are continuous glucose monitoring systems, but those are serious medical devices, and should only be treated as such. I'm not even sure you can get one without a prescription, especially as many are also used in conjunction with an insulin pump. Heart rate and possibly blood pressure...yes. Activity tracking...yes. Blood oxygen and blood sugar? Not so sure.

lvt

Apple can patent everything on Earth, even the name of a fruit that nevers belongs to them.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

"Apple seems to be interested in a system where users could electronically adjust the tightness or looseness of their watchbands, either manually or in automatic response to biometric data from the Watch."

Now I know what is missing in my life! It has always been SO...DAMN...HARD to adjust a watch band, that every time I have to do it, it feels like sinking into a pit of quick sand......

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!

Thread Information