Help! Can't remove strap I put on Seiko SKX013 - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help! Can't remove strap I put on Seiko SKX013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Help! Can't remove strap I put on Seiko SKX013

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler_Man View Post
    Take it to a pro!!!
    That's prudent advice, thanks. I need to learn who the pros are in my area as I'm new to the watch game anyway, so I'll likely be looking into that while I await a saw blade in the mail ... I'm at the point of really wanting the cathartic release of getting this strap off myself w/this misadventure, though I'm sure there'll be others coming down the pike soon ...

Quote Originally Posted by timberho View Post
    Thanks! I like the idea of sawing it and was going to ask where I might get something able to do the job.
    You may need to purchase a jeweler's coping saw as these saw blades may not be rigid enough to get a strait cut. It would suck if it harmed either the bracelet or lugs due to bending or warping.

Another thing to try is to just cut one way (pull not pull/push) removing the blade between each motion.

Good luck!

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    You may need to purchase a jeweler's coping saw as these saw blades may not be rigid enough to get a strait cut. It would suck if it harmed either the bracelet or lugs due to bending or warping.
    Another thing to try is to just cut one way (pull not pull/push) removing the blade between each motion.
    Good luck!
    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    Great, thanks!

is that a gap in the spacer in the last picture? Maybe try a dental pick. The kind a dentist uses to remove plaque and calculus.

Name:  12-2266.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  7.3 KB

I would suggest finding a local watch repair spot you like. They can deal with issues like this fast and cheap, and depending on your temperament, there is a chance you could mess up your watch in a fit of frustration - I've done it.

I predict that you will end up having to cut the bracelet and for that I suggest a Dremel with a thin metal cutting wheel. Put the watch in a vice with cloth to protect and the bracelet flat against the watch underside so you can apply the cutter directly to the bracelet at a seam. Put some thin metal through the lugs to protect the watch body in case you slip and carefully cut the bracelet endlink. Go slow - it will heat up a lot.

Another option you have is to get some stout cutting clippers - dikes - and cut the bracelet. "When in doubt, dike it out." This is not preferred since you will be applying quite a bit of outward pressure to the lugs as you cut.

(Source: I've done something similar)

Edit: Whenever I give advice like this, the person always comes back with how they took it to so-and-so and they fixed the problem non-destructively. I hope that happens for you.
    Last edited by HerrNano; March 20th, 2017 at 22:02. Reason: More advice!
    "To covfefe and beyond!"

I did try a dental pick this weekend actually; it fit in the gap but I wasn't able to maneuver anything w/it.

Anyway, problem is now solved! I took it to a birding shop (bird feed etc.) that randomly has a watch repair guy in the back; he had to file his tool down more and more while he repeatedly murmured "you didn't leave me much room to work with" but the band was off in about 10-15 minutes time, no damage done to it or the watch. Five bucks! And a cool repair hook-up for whatever arises in the future ...

Thank you all for your advice and input, really appreciate it!
    Uberyk likes this.

Cut it ... either yourself, or have someone else do it if you don't trust yourself. That bracelet was only meant to go on a watch with drilled lugs. Sorry :( .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information