Help! Can't remove strap I put on Seiko SKX013
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help! Can't remove strap I put on Seiko SKX013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Can't remove strap I put on Seiko SKX013

Just bought my first automatic w/much assistance from perusing the forums here, thank you all for that. I bought a cheap watch tool kit and wanted to see the watch on various straps from my other watches; it is now stuck on one due to the tight space between the lugs and the O rings/spacers:
    Name:  seiko1.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  926.9 KBName:  seiko2.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  904.4 KB
    One of the screwdrivers in the kit is thin enough at its point to get in there, but then it thickens out and thus can't get all the way down. I've tried wrapping dental floss around the spring bar and pulling in various directions but that hasn't worked.

Is there an ultra-thin tool out there that can accomplish this task? Would a jewelry store be able to assist me? Otherwise I'm open to destroying this strap if there's some way that doing that will free the watch from its clutches.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Help! Can't remove strap I put on Seiko SKX013

Only way I can see is to get two single edge blades and carefully put one in the gap and dig into the spring pin and gently try and move it away from the holes and using the second blade to lock it in the slightly moved position whilst using the first blade to repeat the moving it away from the lug hole again, slow process but there are not many other options without damage, once removed you'll probably need new pins just to be on the safe side.
    webicons, Davidka and CV50 like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    Only way I can see is to get two single edge blades and carefully put one in the gap and dig into the spring pin and gently try and move it away from the holes and using the second blade to lock it in the slightly moved position whilst using the first blade to repeat the moving it away from the lug hole again, slow process but there are not many other options without damage, once removed you'll probably need new pins just to be on the safe side.
    Thanks. Razor blades are definitely good advice as they fit in there, but I wasn't able to maneuver them in the way you suggested due to it being such a small amount of room to work w/in there. I can fit two blades in but can't really move one once they're both in ... Was thinking about sloooowly sawing through the spring bar w/a razor blade ...

Do you think if I push really hard on the strap right in the middle above the spring bar it will eventually snap? Or should I avoid that due to risk of damaging the watch (the lug holes)?

Tough one without possible damage to the watch and the bracelet, drastic measures could be a matter of getting a blade in there and trying to slowly gently PATIENCE and perseverance cut/weaken the pin and then basically breaking it?
    Sounds really bad but with the watch set on a solid surface with a rag underneath maybe take a blade and very gently hammer it until the spring pin is kind of cut or weak enough form it to give way, naturally new pins will be in order afterwards? sucks that there is not enough wiggle room with what you have .
    Quote Originally Posted by timberho View Post
    Thanks. Razor blades are definitely good advice as they fit in there, but I wasn't able to maneuver them in the way you suggested due to it being such a small amount of room to work w/in there. I can fit two blades in but can't really move one once they're both in ... Was thinking about sloooowly sawing through the spring bar w/a razor blade ...

Do you think if I push really hard on the strap right in the middle above the spring bar it will eventually snap? Or should I avoid that due to risk of damaging the watch (the lug holes)?
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; March 19th, 2017 at 21:54.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    Tough one without possible damage to the watch and the bracelet, drastic measures could be a matter of getting a blade in there and trying to slowly gently PATIENCE and perseverance cut/weaken the pin and then basically breaking it?
    Sounds really bad but with the watch set on a solid surface with a rag underneath maybe take a blade and very gently hammer it until the spring pin is kind of cut or weak enough form it to give way, naturally new pins will be in order afterwards? sucks that there is not enough wiggle room with what you have .
    Ok. I'll try to hang tight for a couple of days and see if any other ideas pop up here, maybe check in w/a jeweler. Otherwise I might start sawing/hammering later in the week ... Thanks a lot-
    SHANE 1000 likes this.

I'd start with a local watchmaker and see if they had something to get it off.

That is an annoying design...secure, yes, but a major pain. It looks poor even on drilled lugs...easy to get off, assuming drilled lugs, but remounting would still be awkward at best.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Use a small thin saw blade and cut the springbar. No need to save them, they are the cheapest item compared to the case or the bracelet.

Good luck,

Seb

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC 70
    Davidka likes this.
    Worn recently:

Sinn 556A/Citizen NY0054/Halios Delfin/Stowa Prodiver Limette

That is quite the fit you got there.

May be worth a shot:
    https://www.inventables.com/technolo...ers-saw-blades

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

Take it to a pro!!!

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    That is quite the fit you got there.

May be worth a shot:

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    Thanks! I like the idea of sawing it and was going to ask where I might get something able to do the job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information