Help with a Zuludiver 281. What am i doing wrong?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help with a Zuludiver 281. What am i doing wrong?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with a Zuludiver 281. What am i doing wrong?

I purchased a 20mm Zuludiver 281 rubber strap from WatchGecko. When I attempted to put the spring bars(from watchgecko) in the dive strap there was a tremendous amount of friction. I could only get it in about 1/4 of an inch. I finally got it back out and decided to lube it with some saliva. I did get the bar in about 9/10's of the way before it wouldn't budge. What did I do wrong? What am I missing? Is it possible the strap is defective and the holes aren't big enough or did I receive the wrong spring bars? Or is it possible I am a complete idiot? (Please don't answer that)
    Last edited by Sgt.Pepper; 1 Week Ago at 20:56.
    Squale 20 Atmos Blueray
    Ball Fireman Victory Silver Ref. coming next.

Re: Help with a Zuludiver 281. What am i doing wrong?

I did hear back from WatchGecko and they advise to lubricate the strap hole with olive oil etc. I tried some WD-40 and was finally able to get casing from the spring bar out of the strap hole. While doing so I pinch the rubber around the strap hole. It shouldn't be this difficult to get a spring bar into a strap hole. I've watched videos where the spring bar went in much easier.--but what do I know? Anyway, they offered a new strap or refund. I'm taking the refund. WatchGecko was very pleasant to deal with and I have nothing bad to say about them. I just don't like the way the strap hole fits the spring bar.
    Last edited by Sgt.Pepper; 1 Week Ago at 23:06.
    Squale 20 Atmos Blueray

Once you have the spring pin in then leave it and get new ones for other strap changes, it's a real bastard when you have this with bars and screws though.

Good you got it finally done.
    Sgt.Pepper likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

DON

On the rubber straps I sell. They actually use a 1.5 mm spring bar as 1.8 won't fit. I actually use a small drill on my drill press to heat up the rubber to soften a tiny bit and 1.8 slide in. Going to be a ..... getting them out, but can be removed it needed

Some are designed for certain thicknesses of spring bars

DON
    Sgt.Pepper likes this.

And aren't there also 1.1mm spring bars?

I wonder if that was the issue. Rubber would support the bar better, I would think...and it's a LOT more 'sticky' than leather or canvas. I've never had an issue with leather being *too* tight...snug, once in a great while, and slippy-sliding loose occasionally.

I'm hearing silicon grease, tho, as a better choice.
    Sgt.Pepper likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

I received a tropic strap from them a short while ago. I put some silicone grease for gaskets on the springbars and they pushed right in.

I'd be worried about WD-40 causing the rubber to degrade, though.
    Sgt.Pepper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    Once you have the spring pin in then leave it and get new ones for other strap changes, it's a real bastard when you have this with bars and screws though.

Good you got it finally done.
    Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    On the rubber straps I sell. They actually use a 1.5 mm spring bar as 1.8 won't fit. I actually use a small drill on my drill press to heat up the rubber to soften a tiny bit and 1.8 slide in. Going to be a ..... getting them out, but can be removed it needed

Some are designed for certain thicknesses of spring bars

DON
    I used the spring bars that came with the strap. During all of my research, both reading and watching videos, no one mentioned anything about having to lube the spring bars... that includes WatchGecko. Dang it.LOL In fact, the limited videos I could find, it showed the spring bar slipping in with little difficulty. After I contacted WG about the problem I was having, that's when they told me to try a little olive oil; and, that was an issue they seem to have with this particular model. It would have been nice if that information was included with the strap or posted on their website. Eh, you live and you learn.:)

While I love this watch (Squale 20 Atmos Blueray) and intend on doing everything I can to keep it in tip top shape, I am really looking at it as my test/mistake watch before I move on to more expensive watches. I found I had a few minor scratches on my case back. It must have been scratched by the bracelet while I was working on it. Another, you live and learn. I'll never work on another watch without first putting some masking tape on the case back.

thanks for your comments
    SHANE 1000 likes this.
    Squale 20 Atmos Blueray

Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    I received a tropic strap from them a short while ago. I put some silicone grease for gaskets on the springbars and they pushed right in.

I'd be worried about WD-40 causing the rubber to degrade, though.
    Yeah, I guess that's a possibility. I think i'll go with a little olive oil in the future. thanks,
    Squale 20 Atmos Blueray

A bit late now, but I'm assuming that you used the spring bars that came with the strap? Even so, if a really tight fit it's a good idea to go one size down rather than resorting to messy gunk. Decent spring bars are usually 1.8mm dia. but 1.5 or 1.3 (and narrower) are available.
    SHANE 1000 and Sgt.Pepper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Pepper View Post
    I used the spring bars that came with the strap. During all of my research, both reading and watching videos, no one mentioned anything about having to lube the spring bars... that includes WatchGecko. Dang it.LOL In fact, the limited videos I could find, it showed the spring bar slipping in with little difficulty. After I contacted WG about the problem I was having, that's when they told me to try a little olive oil; and, that was an issue they seem to have with this particular model. It would have been nice if that information was included with the strap or posted on their website. Eh, you live and you learn.:)

While I love this watch (Squale 20 Atmos Blueray) and intend on doing everything I can to keep it in tip top shape, I am really looking at it as my test/mistake watch before I move on to more expensive watches. I found I had a few minor scratches on my case back. It must have been scratched by the bracelet while I was working on it. Another, you live and learn. I'll never work on another watch without first putting some masking tape on the case back.

thanks for your comments
    General rule of thumb with most things is if you have to use excessive FORCE to make it work/fit then you should re evaluate what you are doing and make adjustments to accommodate...................Spring pins? if they're super tight to get in a strap hole then next time buy a smaller gauged spring pin or as some probably have done is slightly ream the strap hole, the other thing with a super tight fit is when you move the strap up and down, taking it off and putting it back on again that in turn moves the body of the pin which could make it weaker eventually, personally with spring pins I like a loose not flapping around but you know what I mean where the pin just goes through without any force at all, that way the strap can have some ease of movement without affecting the pin.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information