Thread: How Does Breitling Deployment Works?

How Does Breitling Deployment Works?

I recently acquired a RW Freelancer Chrono from a fellow member here, and it just has the most uncomfortable deployment buckle. I was wondering if I should get an Omega/Tag style pushbutton or get a Breitling style for it. The OEM band is 22/18.

I have never seen a Breitling clasp upclose, so I was wondering how it works. In the pictures there is no push button, so how does it open? Here is the one I like to get:

DEPLOYMENT CLASP ONLY FOR BREITLING BANDS, 18 MM, NEW! | eBay

Thanks for any help…

Re: How Does Breitling Deployment Works?

Can you post a picture of the deployment you don't like?

The one you have linked is a friction-fit design - it snaps closed with no buttons to unlock, etc - I'm not a big fan of that type of design, as I think it lends itself to future uselessness - eventually the friction will be worn away to nothing. Also, that deployment is for a strap with no holes.

I would suggest a standard single or butterfly pushbutton deployment, unbranded. You can get some good quality ones on eBay for less than half of the one you have linked.

Unless, of course, that is the type of deployment you currently find unbearable. In which case I suggest you move to a tang buckle.
    Influence is like the wind: you cannot see it, only its evidence.

The problem with OEM deployment is that it is somewhat sharp inside. If Breitling is friction-fit, then the only option is Omega/Tag:

New 18mm Deployment Buckle Clasp PO Leather Strap Band Fit OMEGA Planet Ocean | eBay

20mm Carrera Monaco Band Strap Crocodile-Style w/ Deployment Clasp for Tag Heuer | eBay

I have Omega deployment on my Seamaster and it is very comfortable. The only downside is that it doesn't have micro adjustment. It seems that Tag style does have that.

I can also get this and replace the band with my OEM:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f319/fs...-a-511085.html

Here are the pictures:

Name:  IMG_1614.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1615.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1616.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  25.4 KB

As somebody pointed out to me, this is a Deployant, and not a deployment!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pudding View Post
    As somebody pointed out to me, this is a Deployant, and not a deployment!
    M hm. Potato, potato.

Neither are wrong, and so neither are right - either is acceptable.

Mr. Know-it-all #1: "a deployment is a military thing, dummy! It's a Deployant!" Well, you're deploying the watch from your wrist, no?

Mr. Know-it-all #2: "deployant stems from the French word 'deployante'" So then who decided to cut it up and make it an official word, and we all just fall in line like perfect little sheep?

Very reputable suppliers and distributors will use both terms, so I would advise against any kool aid and just use the term you're comfortable with - I use both, just to keep it fresh.
    Last edited by CADstraps; October 12th, 2012 at 22:26.
    Influence is like the wind: you cannot see it, only its evidence.

The clasp in your post is a model that holds the strap in place by friction-- you thread the strap thru the clasp and it bends enough to hold very well. You have to have the correct strap thickness for it to work, and it may not work with other straps. The clasp stays closed with a friction snap kind of thing. I'm not a fan of the snap thing, compared to a push buttom style, but they work OK for less sporty situations. If you buy this clasp with the Bob strap that is made for it, you should be fine.

Thanks guys. I pretty much decided to get an Omega-like deployant from ebay with Hirsch Medici mid brown with red stitching. As far as the empty space goes in the place of Hirsch buckle, I decided to use gemstone or metallic beads to fill it up! I haven't seen anyone do this, so it should be fun, and you have a wide choice from Swarovski to metallic beads.

Thread Information