HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!! - Page 3
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57
  1. #21
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,131

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    That's the joy of trying, Just experiment with all kinds of leather that you find from thick to thin and all in between, you'll find the one that suits you best for what you want from a strap.
    Some of my old customers wanted the super firm hides and some wanted super supple! I personally love super firm straps on my watches, I have some that have been worn now for over 10 years and not a sign of use really except patina and buckle marks.
    The great thing is you are trying, and I guarantee when you finish one for yourself and strap that to your wrist, you'll smile like a Cheshire cat from ear to ear, knowing you did it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sillygoose View Post
    I started the process last night and I was right in that it's harder than it looks! For me, I think it's the leather. I got some 8oz veg-tanned leather and it is stiff and hard! Might also be the quality of it... I think it's dried out. Still, this is fun!

    - Tappy Talkied
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  2. #22
    Member Sillygoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    335

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    That's the joy of trying, Just experiment with all kinds of leather that you find from thick to thin and all in between, you'll find the one that suits you best for what you want from a strap.
    Some of my old customers wanted the super firm hides and some wanted super supple! I personally love super firm straps on my watches, I have some that have been worn now for over 10 years and not a sign of use really except patina and buckle marks.
    The great thing is you are trying, and I guarantee when you finish one for yourself and strap that to your wrist, you'll smile like a Cheshire cat from ear to ear, knowing you did it.
    I actually just finished it last night and you're right, I'm really proud of my accomplishment. I've already learned a few things about my process that I'd need to refine. Thanks for the tip about the leather. I think I need a knife better suited for cutting the leather.

    - Tappy Talkied
    Karkarov and DarioV like this.

  3. #23
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,131

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sillygoose View Post
    I actually just finished it last night and you're right, I'm really proud of my accomplishment. I've already learned a few things about my process that I'd need to refine. Thanks for the tip about the leather. I think I need a knife better suited for cutting the leather.

    - Tappy Talkied
    OUTSTANDING! and it'll get better as time goes on.
    Karkarov and Sillygoose like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  4. #24
    Member zed073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Happily retired in Ottawa.
    Posts
    1,603

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Wow Shane what a great thread. :)

    You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it.
    Excellent photos and the end result is awesome.
    Your passion shows through in your work.
    Thanks for sharing your expertise.

    Cheers....Brian
    Karkarov and CV50 like this.

  5. #25
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,131

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Quote Originally Posted by zed073 View Post
    Wow Shane what a great thread. :)

    You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it.
    Excellent photos and the end result is awesome.
    Your passion shows through in your work.
    Thanks for sharing your expertise.

    Cheers....Brian
    Thanks for your kind words Brian, it did take some effort but mainly in the resizing of the photos.
    Bare in mind this is about the most simplest strap to make, apart from leather NATO's, those are way easier to build.
    zed073 likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  6. #26
    Member rene.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    759

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Hey Shane, wondering what's your thread type preference in your strap making. Been seeing all those straps you've been posting that have been selling like 'warm bread'

    Stitch job is superb. Mind sharing what you use? Thank you sir!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,131

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rene.r View Post
    Hey Shane, wondering what's your thread type preference in your strap making. Been seeing all those straps you've been posting that have been selling like 'warm bread'

    Stitch job is superb. Mind sharing what you use? Thank you sir!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I started to make straps, I didn't have much money to waste especially making what I thought would be a couple of personal straps for myself ONLY.
    At the time I found an old Tack shop in Wyoming that was going out of business Or I should say the old cowboy was retiring from it, he was closing shop and selling off everything! unfortunately not one item at a time! he had a couple of cases (maybe 1000 -/+? rolls total each spool was 500 yards a piece of waxed thread) we talked and struck up a deal on them the whole lot, God knows why I got them all but I'm glad I did in the end as I've used almost all of them now making straps. I have absolutely no clue where the thread originated from but it's what I have used from the very start to now mate, I love it but then it's all I could get at the time so I made do with what I could get my mitts on CHEAP although at the time on reflection it wasn't lol I have tried many others and didn't like anything I found, I think I ended up just using what I had and what actually worked best for me.
    Pictures shows the roll at about 65% used.
    Name:  WAXED LINEN THREAD (2).JPG
Views: 70
Size:  244.4 KB
    solar g-shocker and DarioV like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  8. #28
    Member rene.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    759

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Guessing you saw the quality in the thread and thats why you bought the whole lot. I probably would have done the same or at least a great deal of it....

    Thanks for the info brotha. I'm in the hunt for some waxed not to thick not to thin...any ideas as to where?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,131

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rene.r View Post
    Guessing you saw the quality in the thread and thats why you bought the whole lot. I probably would have done the same or at least a great deal of it....

    Thanks for the info brotha. I'm in the hunt for some waxed not to thick not to thin...any ideas as to where?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not at all mate, I had no clue as to the quality of the thread I was 100% total newbie to leather work but I figured if it was strong enough for saddles and holsters and all that jazz, then it had to be ok for a measly strap surely, but the guy wouldn't sell me one roll lol so I think to clear his stock out insisted on the cartons of the thread, and me being in Wyoming there was not much choice but to haggle and eventually buy, when I look back the price was actually friggin KILLER for what I got, although at the time it definitely wasn't lol. I think from what I heard though is he had bought cases of this waxed thread and they were to thin for most of his work, so maybe the universe was looking out for me years later because when I have studied other saddle makers and holsters the thread used does seem a tad thicker.

    I think as cliché as this might sound, Google could be a way of finding what you need, maybe get samples first so not to cream your wallet, then when you actually find what you personally like the look of and to use, then maybe snag a few rolls of that.
    Shane
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; 3 Weeks Ago at 15:51.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    101

    Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

    Holy s**t... Thanks for sharing, must buy some tools and start making straps
    SHANE 1000 likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 12
      Last Post: July 18th, 2010, 18:08
    2. Replies: 29
      Last Post: February 9th, 2010, 19:39
    3. FS: Make yourself one of a kind Seiko
      By yobokies in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 13th, 2007, 07:16

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •