HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!! - Page 4
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

Hey Shane
    Love this tutorial!! What kind of knife is that? I really fight the leather with a skiver. Seems like you get more control with a knife. I think that'd help when I try to meet the ends of the strap on the under side. I don't like single layer straps
    Thanks in advance!
    Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IN
    G-Shock DW-5200, GD-350, GW-6900

OUT
    G-Shock - a lot of them | Aquadive BS100 | Seiko: BFK's, Monsters, Tuna 007, 015 | Helberg/H2O: Kalmar 1, CH-1, CH-6 |
    Eterna: Super Koniti 1973 LE | Enzo: EMV, EM001 | Omega: Bond SMP | Zilla: Auto, Ti, SS | sAs: Sea Classic II | Maranez: Bangla Ti & Brass | Halios: Puck, Laguna, Holotype | Zixen: PVD Trimix | WCT: 1000m Seal clone, SS & DLC

Re: HOW to make yourself a simple strap TUTORIAL from start to finish.......LOADS of PHOTOGRAPHS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loke-Z View Post
    Holy s**t... Thanks for sharing, must buy some tools and start making straps
    Have some fun with it, and enjoy the fruits of your labour! it's fun to at least give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by solar g-shocker View Post
    Hey Shane
    Love this tutorial!! What kind of knife is that? I really fight the leather with a skiver. Seems like you get more control with a knife. I think that'd help when I try to meet the ends of the strap on the under side. I don't like single layer straps
    Thanks in advance!
    Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Neil my friend, all of my knives are custom and very unique one of a kind ............here's a tutorial the making of a custom skiver.
    For those that might be interested? A little pictoral tutorial for a 25 cents CUSTOM SKIVER!!

Another fun tutorial, making a strap with any old tool.
    Poor mans guide to strap making, cheap and easy. picture heavy
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:19.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

"Simple".
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    "Simple".
    As simple as simple can be Brandon!.........
    Karkarov likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Hi Shane, thanks so much for these tutorials. Fantastic info...

I've been wanting to try it for a while, slowly assembling the tools. Tonight I made my first strap, quite a bit longer than 10 min but I'm very happy with. The keeper is scavenged, have to make a matching one.

Name:  IMG_1591.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  2.31 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

DarioV likes this.

Hit Reply too quick but anyway, your post convinced me to try it now, and showed me how.

thanks again!
    SHANE 1000 likes this.

Now this is what I have done this for! So people just like yourself that not only find it useful but actually find they are very capable of making something they can wear daily. GOOD JOB!!
    Your first strap actually looks very impressive from what I can see in your photographs mate, don't worry about what time it takes, it's not a race, it's a way of relaxing making something, so if it takes hours upon hours then that means you have managed to unwind for the duration, and that in itself is a good thing. I always play music grab a cuppa tea and vanish into another world when I make a strap or draw or whatever.

Your strap edges look nice, the stitching looks a little loose so next time tighten them up a wee bit, the keeper will do and I'm sure when you become more confident in yourself and what you're obviously very capable and able to do, you'll make a matching one, HOWEVER what rules are there in what colour keeper one should have? again good job mate well done.

Quote Originally Posted by tgetzen View Post
    Hi Shane, thanks so much for these tutorials. Fantastic info...

I've been wanting to try it for a while, slowly assembling the tools. Tonight I made my first strap, quite a bit longer than 10 min but I'm very happy with. The keeper is scavenged, have to make a matching one.

Name:  IMG_1591.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  2.31 MB
    DarioV likes this.

Hit Reply too quick but anyway, your post convinced me to try it now, and showed me how.

thanks again!
    You're very welcome mate and I'm glad you did try and get something positive out of it.

Shane,
    Thanks for the feedback, really valuable and I appreciate it.

Do you have any comment on knots? It seems like knots are extremely chunky, and a couple of old straps I've taken apart didn't even have knots-it looked like synthetic thread that was just melted into a little ball. Although they were cheap and one was unraveling, so perhaps not what you'd want to emulate!

Thank you again

Shane,
    Thanks for the feedback, really valuable and I appreciate it.

Do you have any comment on knots? It seems like knots are extremely chunky, and a couple of old straps I've taken apart didn't even have knots-it looked like synthetic thread that was just melted into a little ball. Although they were cheap and one was unraveling, so perhaps not what you'd want to emulate!

Thank you again
    Cut the thread close to the strap then glue the ends of the thread (NOT too much glue mind you) FIDDLY but nice finish let it dry and then compress that thread section into the hole, it should never come out.

HOPEFULLY!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information