The need for finished edges on a strap - Page 2
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The need for finished edges on a strap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Member Erick510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    17

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Do you have some examples ?

  2. #12
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Quote Originally Posted by Erick510 View Post

    Have you tried something like this?
    These are good for bridle leather like a saddle shop would use, but then they use a dampened hide which burnishes fast with no effort using tools like this one! also you can use scrap denim which will do the same, because of the texture it'll burnish the leather again fast with minimum effort as long as it has something to slightly dampen the edge.
    Erick510 likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  3. #13
    Member Erick510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    17

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    These are good for bridle leather like a saddle shop would use, but then they use a dampened hide which burnishes fast with no effort using tools like this one! also you can use scrap denim which will do the same, because of the texture it'll burnish the leather again fast with minimum effort as long as it has something to slightly dampen the edge.
    Ah okay awesome thank you

  4. #14
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Just a quick Demo on a scrap bit of leather but you'll see how fast and easy it really is to edge and burnish, 35 seconds to do this edge from start to finish (excluding dry time), longer to do pictures, and naturally longer on a complete strap, excuse the roughness but it is merely a demo.
    apply edge Kote to the PERFECT CUT leather edge less work, let it dry then run a piece of sandpaper like you get from the Auto store Ace hardware? blah blah! then run that along the edge, and reapply until you get the look you are seeking, this demo took two coats.

    a few pictures down you'll see a plastic edge "TOOL" lol, these do the job fine without any goo or wetting down, these are special as they are made from the rib bones from Cher
    Attached Images Attached Images

























    Last edited by SHANE 1000; March 20th, 2017 at 22:20.
    DarioV likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  5. #15
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Welcome! I should have mentioned the tool in your picture is best used on TOOLING leather, the same as saddles holsters bridles and so on, because when dampened it is moldable from extreme carving/tooling to simplistic finishing edges, for that more rounded look, they do that mainly for the look but mostly it is prevent the edge getting damaged whilst in use, especially high traffic usage on items like a saddle or again a holster blah blah!.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erick510 View Post
    Ah okay awesome thank you
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; March 20th, 2017 at 22:49.
    Erick510 likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  6. #16
    Member Erick510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    17

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    That's great info now I have a better understanding.

  7. #17
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Just did this quickly on an older tooling leather strap, with a Micro fibre rag couldn't find denim so it'll do in a pinch lol OH! and a cuppa tea Point is I'm showing just how simple things can be without the need for special tools and gadgets, realistically most of any crafts just boils down to the skill of the hands of who is doing it.

    Name:  tan edge burnish (1).JPG
Views: 58
Size:  384.3 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (2).JPG
Views: 56
Size:  354.2 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (3).JPG
Views: 60
Size:  383.4 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (4).JPG
Views: 56
Size:  451.6 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (5).JPG
Views: 67
Size:  400.4 KB
    And the finished edge.

    Name:  tan edge burnish (7).JPG
Views: 64
Size:  360.1 KB
    DarioV and straps68 like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Davao City
    Posts
    2,273

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    Just did this quickly on an older tooling leather strap, with a Micro fibre rag couldn't find denim so it'll do in a pinch lol OH! and a cuppa tea Point is I'm showing just how simple things can be without the need for special tools and gadgets, realistically most of any crafts just boils down to the skill of the hands of who is doing it.

    Name:  tan edge burnish (1).JPG
Views: 58
Size:  384.3 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (2).JPG
Views: 56
Size:  354.2 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (3).JPG
Views: 60
Size:  383.4 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (4).JPG
Views: 56
Size:  451.6 KB

    Name:  tan edge burnish (5).JPG
Views: 67
Size:  400.4 KB
    And the finished edge.

    Name:  tan edge burnish (7).JPG
Views: 64
Size:  360.1 KB
    Wow!

    What's that edge burnish liquid made of, oil or wax?

    My problem is it's hard to find that stuff in my country so I need to improvise or approximate.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Panerai PAM 312
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Halios Tropik B
    Seiko Monster Tuna
    Seiko SKX007
    Concord Impresario
    Squale ​ 20 ATMOS Blue Ray

  9. #19
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Visiting in the USA
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    That particular cup of tea was just Tetley, you can use spit water or urine if you wanted to, point is you don't have to use any particular special product to get a decent edge, fact is most saddle makers use WATER because that is enough.

    TEA can be bought in most shops in any country lol or water from the toilet sink, just a damp sponge not to wet just DAMP..
    Quote Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
    Wow!

    What's that edge burnish liquid made of, oil or wax?

    My problem is it's hard to find that stuff in my country so I need to improvise or approximate.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; March 21st, 2017 at 05:17.
    DarioV and straps68 like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    501

    Re: The need for finished edges on a strap

    Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    That particular cup of tea was just Tetley, you can use spit water or urine if you wanted to, point is you don't have to use any particular special product to get a decent edge, fact is most saddle makers use WATER because that is enough.

    TEA can be bought in most shops in any country lol or water from the toilet sink, just a damp sponge not to wet just DAMP..
    That's some good stuff - Shane, please send me a quart of the unsweetened variety. Maybe a touch of lemon would give a nice fresh scent to my straps!


    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    Erick510 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Alligator strap with stitchless edges
      By johndozier in forum Straps & Bracelets
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 5th, 2016, 14:51
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 3rd, 2015, 19:59
    3. How are strap edges sealed?
      By jaytaylor in forum Straps & Bracelets
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: July 2nd, 2014, 18:59
    4. Bremont Leather Strap Edges Issue
      By nolanz14 in forum Bremont
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: February 24th, 2013, 15:09
    5. What product do you prefer to seal you strap edges?
      By lowmandfl in forum Straps & Bracelets
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: March 10th, 2009, 07:33

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •