New forum member blown away! - Page 2
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: New forum member blown away!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: New forum member blown away!

I think the second strap is much more preferable as the first would be too big for my wrist both are nice works.

New forum member blown away!

Thanks guys. I agree with all of your comments.

The most important thing is that the strap fits the watch and looks appropriate.

Right now I'm just messing around and getting a feel for leather, what works and what doesn't, and working out design issues that can't be done mentally.

Leather is an interesting media but sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate. Im going to start buying the appropriate tools soon so that should make things easier. "Stone knives and bear skins" - anyone?

I appreciate the support and comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by webicons; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:06.

This is in the eyes of most because this is what has been considered the norm, but what rules are there if not meant to be broken from time to time, I personally like that oversized bund-esque strap, where others don't, it's all subjective really.

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    Thanks guys. I agree with all of your comments.

The most important thing is that the strap fits the watch and looks appropriate.

Right now I'm just messing around and getting a feel for leather, what works and what doesn't, and working out design issues that can't be done mentally.

Leather is an interesting media but sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate. Im going to start buying the appropriate tools soon so that should make things easier. "Stone knives and bear skins" - anyone?

I appreciate the support and comments.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Very true. Also a interesting way to live life!

Thanks for posting. Nice straps which I like even if not perfect.

To give critical feedback (in hopefully a friendly way) I would say that the stitched strap needs one extra stitch at the top of the strap nearest the lugs, or at least a start the stitching closer to the lug for better visual balance. I say that with some hesitation because it is based on internalized memory of what I have seen before, not that your strap is unattractive. I would certainly wear it on one of my watches.
    Secondly the Bund strap is a little too wide underneath the watch case (which was already acknowledged), though your picture made me realize that making generic Bund straps is more challenging since there are two variables or more to keep in mind, the lug width as well as the case diameter/shape. Not saying that your first Bund looks bad, just that if I were wearing it with that watch I would want minimal overlap.

Again I liked your straps and thanks for sharing. It must be great to make your own strap to meet your own criteria, whether that be the size or color.
    webicons likes this.

Had time to do this one tonight. Practice, practice, practice! At this rate I'll catch up to you guys in about a year or so I reckon or that's my goal at least.

This is really nice, hopefully your would be a well recognized strap maker in the future.

I really do appreciate all the feedback both critical or not and I really do learn something every time I try to make a strap.

The other day I realized that making the leather wet helps to make a tight bend. Seems like such a no brainer, stupid thing to overlook...but I did.

I also made a mistake on this strap by using a cloth to polish the leather that I used previously to dye. After cursing to myself for such a stupid mistake I realized that it gave the leather an antique look and just did it again until everything evened out.

Karkarov likes this.

Very cool. You've inspired me to try to make one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    webicons likes this.

Got stressed out last night so I sat down and made a strap. Zen-like state.

This is from one of those crappy leather belts I got. First time using edge coat. Interesting look it gives. Reminds me of a piano.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to make perfectly strait stitching holes? Mine wavers using the forks.

solar g-shocker and Karkarov like this.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to make perfectly strait stitching holes? Mine wavers using the forks.
    I don't make my own straps so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if I had to bet on it the answer is practice, practice, and more practice. Any kind of work relying on fine details, and hand eye coordination needs a certain level of experience before you can do it "right".

Meanwhile for a novice your straps look pretty darn solid.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information