New forum member blown away! - Page 4
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: New forum member blown away!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 110
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    508

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    Quote Originally Posted by goblin View Post
    Your work looks great, you inspire me to learn more about strap making.
    Check out the YouTube videos by Ian Atkinson. I highly recommended them. Easy to understand and concise he clearly explains concepts and practices rather than just examples.

    His website has links to the videos as well:
    http://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/


    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    508

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    I'm going to use this thread to document my progress every so often. I think it will be fun to see things progress as I practice more. It's been a little over a month I can see an improvement from my first.

    So here's one I just finished up. Learned two things this time:
    I should pull harder when stitching and get the stitch line closer to the edge. Think it looks better that way.






    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    SHANE 1000, omega1300 and Karkarov like this.

  3. #33
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France / sometimes the USA
    Posts
    6,148

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    I'm going to use this thread to document my progress every so often. I think it will be fun to see things progress as I practice more.
    I should pull harder when stitching and get the stitch line closer to the edge. Think it looks better that way.

    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    That's a good idea, you'll wish you hadn't though in time, because what you do today that looks good, in time you'll over look them and not be happy lol you will be happy though with your personal progress, just not what you have done prior, personally I have never made a strap yet that I was 100% happy with, there is always that what if or sh*t I missed that or did that wrong haha.
    be careful when PULLING HARDER on your stitch, remember all a stitch does is hold two pieces of leather together it doesn't need to be torqued down so it sinks into the surface of the hide, the tighter it is the easier it is for you to pull a stitch into one another, basically tear through and make a big hole from one to another. As to getting closer to the edge, this is something you determine as a maker, again there is not real guidelines in just how close to the edge, now saying that the closer to the edge you go you'll get a rippling effect down the edges if you get to close, leather is soft so the closer you go there is some give in the hide from making the holes and filling those holes with thread, more so with a course thread.#

    Crap forgot to mention your last one looks bloody good mate.
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; March 11th, 2017 at 02:08.
    lbovill, Karkarov and webicons like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    508

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    That's a good idea, you'll wish you hadn't though in time, because what you do today that looks good, in time you'll over look them and not be happy lol you will be happy though with your personal progress, just not what you have done prior, personally I have never made a strap yet that I was 100% happy with, there is always that what if or sh*t I missed that or did that wrong haha.
    be careful when PULLING HARDER on your stitch, remember all a stitch does is hold two pieces of leather together it doesn't need to be torqued down so it sinks into the surface of the hide, the tighter it is the easier it is for you to pull a stitch into one another, basically tear through and make a big hole from one to another. As to getting closer to the edge, this is something you determine as a maker, again there is not real guidelines in just how close to the edge, now saying that the closer to the edge you go you'll get a rippling effect down the edges if you get to close, leather is soft so the closer you go there is some give in the hide from making the holes and filling those holes with thread, more so with a course thread.#

    Crap forgot to mention your last one looks bloody good mate.
    Thanks Shane! Always helpful to get pointers and insight from a pro. Probably researched all of your designs on the forum. All innovative.

    Didn't think about the puckering and cutting but make sense. Will keep that in mind.

    I also take criticism well so if anyone is hesitant to then don't. I take all criticism as constructive and not destructive...or I try to ignore while shaking and curled up on the bathroom floor crying.


    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    SHANE 1000 and Karkarov like this.

  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    508

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    So I walked into this textile store hoping that they would maybe have some leather to play around with. Walking up and down the isles I didn't see anything interesting but then tucked into the corner was this tiny little piece of nicely aged scrap leather.

    I asked the lady and she said that it has been there since the store opened up about 25 years ago! Asked how much and she said free. Win!







    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    omega1300 likes this.

  6. #36
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France / sometimes the USA
    Posts
    6,148

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    I love it when that kind of stuff happens FREE what a result.

    Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    So I walked into this textile store hoping that they would maybe have some leather to play around with. Walking up and down the isles I didn't see anything interesting but then tucked into the corner was this tiny little piece of nicely aged scrap leather.

    I asked the lady and she said that it has been there since the store opened up about 25 years ago! Asked how much and she said free. Win!

    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    508

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    So today I learned how to do a Zig Zag stitch. Not really my thing but I've seen it done really well and can make certain straps really pop.

    I finished off my first 25 meter roll of thread so I'm going to buy the large roll. Now things are really starting to add up cost wise.

    While I am happy with the progress I'm making, pretty much everything has gone into the scrap bin. I just can't seem to get it just right.




    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    crazyfingers and Karkarov like this.

  8. #38
    Member Karkarov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Definitely not Sweden
    Posts
    903

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    While I am happy with the progress I'm making, pretty much everything has gone into the scrap bin. I just can't seem to get it just right.
    Sounds like your scrap bin has a lot of nice straps in it then.

  9. #39
    Member SHANE 1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France / sometimes the USA
    Posts
    6,148

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    I finished off my first 25 meter roll of thread so I'm going to buy the large roll. Now things are really starting to add up cost wise.

    While I am happy with the progress I'm making, pretty much everything has gone into the scrap bin. I just can't seem to get it just right.

    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    In regards to thread! suck it up it's an expense that in reality is no expense, you need it you use it so no biggy.

    Now in regards to quality and all that Jazz, and much landing in the garbage bin, this is VERY GOOD actually, it means you are self critical and aware of your mistakes, so what you throw away is where you learn, I used to throw stuff away but I studied the crap in the rubbish bin, vowing not to make that mistake again, so lesson learned from the mistakes we all make.

    Can't get it right? again this is perfect, there are way to many strap makers that think they get it right when in all reality they really don't, but they're unaware of their mistakes, so it's again a good thing to see the errors that you make, Personally I have never made a strap yet that I considered perfect!

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    508

    Re: New forum member blown away!

    I've been playing around with dyes, which I have learned is almost as important as putting a strap together well.

    Tried to make a mellow yellow but it came out more saddle colored.

    Don't know what to do with the edges yet. I like it clean and contrasting but it looks too...unfinished. Typically I would burnish it but I think that would make it too old fashioned looking. Any thoughts?








    Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    omega1300 likes this.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. New Forum Member
      By Kauf2947 in forum Seiko & Citizen
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: April 14th, 2013, 12:46
    2. New Forum Member
      By russamys in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: December 30th, 2010, 11:11
    3. New member to forum
      By Pammy in forum Officine Panerai
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: October 7th, 2010, 02:29
    4. Sales Forum has blown up
      By dnslater in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: June 3rd, 2010, 21:53

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •