New forum member blown away! - Page 4
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: New forum member blown away!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: New forum member blown away!

Quote Originally Posted by goblin View Post
    Your work looks great, you inspire me to learn more about strap making.
    Check out the YouTube videos by Ian Atkinson. I highly recommended them. Easy to understand and concise he clearly explains concepts and practices rather than just examples.

His website has links to the videos as well:
    http://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

I'm going to use this thread to document my progress every so often. I think it will be fun to see things progress as I practice more. It's been a little over a month I can see an improvement from my first.

So here's one I just finished up. Learned two things this time:
    I should pull harder when stitching and get the stitch line closer to the edge. Think it looks better that way.

SHANE 1000, omega1300 and Karkarov like this.

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    I'm going to use this thread to document my progress every so often. I think it will be fun to see things progress as I practice more.
    I should pull harder when stitching and get the stitch line closer to the edge. Think it looks better that way.

That's a good idea, you'll wish you hadn't though in time, because what you do today that looks good, in time you'll over look them and not be happy lol you will be happy though with your personal progress, just not what you have done prior, personally I have never made a strap yet that I was 100% happy with, there is always that what if or sh*t I missed that or did that wrong haha.
    be careful when PULLING HARDER on your stitch, remember all a stitch does is hold two pieces of leather together it doesn't need to be torqued down so it sinks into the surface of the hide, the tighter it is the easier it is for you to pull a stitch into one another, basically tear through and make a big hole from one to another. As to getting closer to the edge, this is something you determine as a maker, again there is not real guidelines in just how close to the edge, now saying that the closer to the edge you go you'll get a rippling effect down the edges if you get to close, leather is soft so the closer you go there is some give in the hide from making the holes and filling those holes with thread, more so with a course thread.#

Crap forgot to mention your last one looks bloody good mate.
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; March 11th, 2017 at 02:08.
    lbovill, Karkarov and webicons like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    That's a good idea, you'll wish you hadn't though in time, because what you do today that looks good, in time you'll over look them and not be happy lol you will be happy though with your personal progress, just not what you have done prior, personally I have never made a strap yet that I was 100% happy with, there is always that what if or sh*t I missed that or did that wrong haha.
    be careful when PULLING HARDER on your stitch, remember all a stitch does is hold two pieces of leather together it doesn't need to be torqued down so it sinks into the surface of the hide, the tighter it is the easier it is for you to pull a stitch into one another, basically tear through and make a big hole from one to another. As to getting closer to the edge, this is something you determine as a maker, again there is not real guidelines in just how close to the edge, now saying that the closer to the edge you go you'll get a rippling effect down the edges if you get to close, leather is soft so the closer you go there is some give in the hide from making the holes and filling those holes with thread, more so with a course thread.#

Crap forgot to mention your last one looks bloody good mate.
    Thanks Shane! Always helpful to get pointers and insight from a pro. Probably researched all of your designs on the forum. All innovative.

Didn't think about the puckering and cutting but make sense. Will keep that in mind.

I also take criticism well so if anyone is hesitant to then don't. I take all criticism as constructive and not destructive...or I try to ignore while shaking and curled up on the bathroom floor crying.

SHANE 1000 and Karkarov like this.

So I walked into this textile store hoping that they would maybe have some leather to play around with. Walking up and down the isles I didn't see anything interesting but then tucked into the corner was this tiny little piece of nicely aged scrap leather.

I asked the lady and she said that it has been there since the store opened up about 25 years ago! Asked how much and she said free. Win!

omega1300 likes this.

I love it when that kind of stuff happens FREE what a result.

So I walked into this textile store hoping that they would maybe have some leather to play around with. Walking up and down the isles I didn't see anything interesting but then tucked into the corner was this tiny little piece of nicely aged scrap leather.

I asked the lady and she said that it has been there since the store opened up about 25 years ago! Asked how much and she said free. Win!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

So today I learned how to do a Zig Zag stitch. Not really my thing but I've seen it done really well and can make certain straps really pop.

I finished off my first 25 meter roll of thread so I'm going to buy the large roll. Now things are really starting to add up cost wise.

While I am happy with the progress I'm making, pretty much everything has gone into the scrap bin. I just can't seem to get it just right.

crazyfingers and Karkarov like this.

While I am happy with the progress I'm making, pretty much everything has gone into the scrap bin. I just can't seem to get it just right.
    Sounds like your scrap bin has a lot of nice straps in it then.

I finished off my first 25 meter roll of thread so I'm going to buy the large roll. Now things are really starting to add up cost wise.

In regards to thread! suck it up it's an expense that in reality is no expense, you need it you use it so no biggy.

Now in regards to quality and all that Jazz, and much landing in the garbage bin, this is VERY GOOD actually, it means you are self critical and aware of your mistakes, so what you throw away is where you learn, I used to throw stuff away but I studied the crap in the rubbish bin, vowing not to make that mistake again, so lesson learned from the mistakes we all make.

Can't get it right? again this is perfect, there are way to many strap makers that think they get it right when in all reality they really don't, but they're unaware of their mistakes, so it's again a good thing to see the errors that you make, Personally I have never made a strap yet that I considered perfect!

I've been playing around with dyes, which I have learned is almost as important as putting a strap together well.

Tried to make a mellow yellow but it came out more saddle colored.

Don't know what to do with the edges yet. I like it clean and contrasting but it looks too...unfinished. Typically I would burnish it but I think that would make it too old fashioned looking. Any thoughts?

omega1300 likes this.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information