New forum member blown away! - Page 5
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: New forum member blown away!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: New forum member blown away!

This particular strap! I would'nt touch it with anything, just wear the heck out of it and the edges will soak up moisture sweat oils from your own skin and in time NOT LONG you'll see it become killer and the patina will kick A$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    I've been playing around with dyes, which I have learned is almost as important as putting a strap together well.

Tried to make a mellow yellow but it came out more saddle colored.

Don't know what to do with the edges yet. I like it clean and contrasting but it looks too...unfinished. Typically I would burnish it but I think that would make it too old fashioned looking. Any thoughts?

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Thanks Shane - I'll do that!

Just finished reading this thread - wow webicons, your work is outstanding! Kind of inspired me to look into leatherwork.

Gary
    webicons likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Drainville View Post
    Just finished reading this thread - wow webicons, your work is outstanding! Kind of inspired me to look into leatherwork.

Gary
    Thanks Gary - not too difficult but requires a bit of patience. This forum is a great resource and YouTube a classroom.
    From the look of your watch collection you can save a bit of coin making your own! Your watches are calling for custom leather!

They are!! Looking forward to seeing your leatherwork evolve.

Got my measurements all wrong on this one piece NATO.

Good thing my baby needed a new collar. Fits her perfectly!

That is a pretty fluffy looking accessory you paired with that watch strap ;)
    SHANE 1000 and webicons like this.

This was a test piece for two things; first time I used a leather insert and also only used the awl rather than the chisels to make the stitching holes.

The insert came out ok but the stitching needs work. The way the holes are made really makes a difference. The chisels are nice that they are perfectly lined up front to back but the holes that they make are huge. The awl takes more finesse and skill.

Also learned that different leathers have different stretch to them so I need to be careful when glueing up and cutting.

omega1300 likes this.

Looks nice Ed well done mate.
    I always found or at least when I started was that doing the awl to place your stitch holes sometimes rippled or warped the edges, basically putting a hole to big for the thread, as with the blade it is a much less obtrusive way to get your stitching holes and way more forgiving in the warping / rippling? effect plus with a blade you can direct where your stitch pattern will go by angling the position of the blade..
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

So the practicing continues; I made this one using a cool piece of Buffalo. I'm happy with the progress I've made with stitching and I've been playing around with different thread weights.

The hand awl is still a pain in the butt but I think the holes are a lot cleaner.

Shane - I like the fact that I can turn the awl to suit the stitch or turn. Better control vs. more time consuming. I'm sure that things will speed up with practice.

On the long strap, one stitch side is strait while the other side goes up and down. I think I got the awl placement wrong. More practice.

Still forgetting to put the damn buckle hole.

omega1300 and Karkarov like this.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information