New forum member blown away! - Page 6
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: New forum member blown away!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: New forum member blown away!

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    The hand awl is still a pain in the butt but I think the holes are a lot cleaner.

Shane - I like the fact that I can turn the awl to suit the stitch or turn. Better control vs. more time consuming. I'm sure that things will speed up with practice.

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    These pictures might help and I hope are self explanatory?

Name:  DSCN0483.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  495.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0484.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  504.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0485.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  544.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0486.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  515.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0487.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  484.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0488.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  536.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0489.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  557.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0491.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  659.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0492.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  607.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0494.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  393.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0495.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  424.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0496.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  443.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0497.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  432.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0498.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  457.1 KB
    coffeewatch likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

When you use an Awl it makes a hole that is a wee bit traumatic to the leather remember the hole is only being filled with thread so the smaller the hole is IMHO better the hole is technically ONLY!! being sealed with that thread, and the blade is lesser so, I equate it to being shot with a 44 magnum instead of being stabbed with a Stiletto.
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; March 22nd, 2017 at 20:01.
    Karkarov likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

It is interesting how the punched holes look straight/same on both sides but the stitch is angled one side. Is it that do to the angle of the awl, that it was not square with the face of the strap when the hole was punched? It is still a nice looking strap.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeewatch View Post
    It is interesting how the punched holes look straight/same on both sides but the stitch is angled one side. Is it that do to the angle of the awl, that it was not square with the face of the strap when the hole was punched? It is still a nice looking strap.
    Thanks for the compliment Coffeewatch.

I am just starting to get a handle on using an awl. Started out using a stitching chisel so the awl is taking a little getting used to.

What I did was insert the awl straight in but turned at a slight angle to replicate the up/down look to the stitching.

On the other side I reversed the angle to mirror the other side.

When I pull the string taut I slightly angle my right hand down and the left hand up so when reversing the stitch on the other side, I believe that I should have done the opposite. Instead I counteracted the pre-aligned holes to get a straight line.

Still experimenting on how I want things to look. I'm going to try a different approach for the next one and I'll post the results.

New forum member blown away!

So the focus of this example was to make my first fully padded strap and also to work on my stitching (especially how the back lined up).

This is actually the second one since the back of the first one looked like crap and in the trash. But little by little I'm getting used to working with the awl and getting more consistent...

Last edited by webicons; March 27th, 2017 at 04:17.

Shane just to clarify terminology, the object you refer to as an 'awl' looks to me like a 'fid', and the item you refer to as a 'blade' looks somewhat like a leatherworking stitching awl (which have diamond cross-section), there are also cylindrical 'marking' awls but they don't have that fid-like shape as far as I've ever seen. Fids are used to clear/prepare/enlarge existing holes rather than make them.

You're right I think it is actually called a lacing fid? but when I bought it from a leather store they called it an awl so since then it's always been that to me, funny when looking for a duplicate of that tool which I did find eventually, I found it under awl? I think maybe a general term for it is good for people that are not in the know, as I was back when I started, I had know clue what the specific tools were called lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glylex View Post
    Shane just to clarify terminology, the object you refer to as an 'awl' looks to me like a 'fid', and the item you refer to as a 'blade' looks somewhat like a leatherworking stitching awl (which have diamond cross-section), there are also cylindrical 'marking' awls but they don't have that fid-like shape as far as I've ever seen. Fids are used to clear/prepare/enlarge existing holes rather than make them.

That last padded strap kinda flattened out because I used some cheap synthetic padding.

Instead of throwing it away I was able to carefully remove the stitching, separate the pieces and insert a soft piece of leather for the padding. Surprising enough I was able to match up the holes and restitch the piece.

Looks way better now. Going to practice these for a little while.

Karkarov likes this.

Had just enough Crazy Horse scraps to put this one together last night. Still working things through but things are going faster with the stitching and I'm happy with my progress so far.

I need to work on my edge painting but I find it terribly tedious. I'll stick to burnishing for now.

Gonna order some more of this leather. I'm thinking of a wallet next.

Pallet Spoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    Had just enough Crazy Horse scraps to put this one together last night. Still working things through but things are going faster with the stitching and I'm happy with my progress so far.

I need to work on my edge painting but I find it terribly tedious. I'll stick to burnishing for now.

Gonna order some more of this leather. I'm thinking of a wallet next.

I just read all your works and see that you're doing right way. Your straps get better every single day. Love to see more works from you and give some advice if possible.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information